New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I have decided to buy myself my first new rifle.I am looking at the x-bolt and a-bolt as well as the bar long track oil finish rifles by Browning.I am looking for some help and input on Caliber, Make, Model and action.I am thinking 300win mag seeing that it was the outfitters pick for being versatile caliber in Outdoor Canada's Outfitters pick's.Your input will be appreciated cause this to me is more important than picking a car...lol.

·
Banned
116 Posts
Hey everyone, I have decided to buy myself my first new rifle.I am looking at the x-bolt and a-bolt as well as the bar long track oil finish rifles by Browning.I am looking for some help and input on Caliber, Make, Model and action.I am thinking 300win mag seeing that it was the outfitters pick for being versatile caliber in Outdoor Canada's Outfitters pick's.Your input will be appreciated cause this to me is more important than picking a car...lol.
Hi Gone Hunting, I have a Remington 700 BDL DM 300 Win Mag, and love it. I reload, and can reload for lighter loads, or load heavy for the Big Boys. I have a bad shoulder, so I put on a quality recoil pad.

I am sure, that if you ask 10 people what to buy, you will get 10 different answers.
I would talk to your friends, and find out what they have, and baybe you will be able to try fifferent calibers out.
One size doesn't fit all.
Nothing makes a man feel better, than a new rifle.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hi Gone Hunting, I have a Remington 700 BDL DM 300 Win Mag, and love it. I reload, and can reload for lighter loads, or load heavy for the Big Boys. I have a bad shoulder, so I put on a quality recoil pad.

I am sure, that if you ask 10 people what to buy, you will get 10 different answers.
I would talk to your friends, and find out what they have, and baybe you will be able to try fifferent calibers out.
One size doesn't fit all.
Nothing makes a man feel better, than a new rifle.
Good post. There are a lot of great rifles on the market. If I were you, I would try shooting a 300 magnum. Recoil pads, stock pitch, stock design, overall gun weight, and specific loads have an impact on recoil but the 300 magnums have a good snap to them. I would consider a 3006 or 308 too. The magnum will buy a little more punch "way out there" but I don't know if that is as important as some people think.
I am 6'1" 270 lbs and have blackbelts in tkd and karate and am used to getting hit hard (and frequently) and I can tell you I do not enjoy shooting a 300 magnum. 10-15 shots at the range used to leave me with bruises on the shoulder. With the 06 or 308 I can easily do 40-50 rounds per session with no issue. Anyway good luck. Browning, remington, savage, sako, tikka are all great rifles.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I have heard that the X-bolt is quite a bit nicer gun than the A-bolt
If your looking in the 1000$ range check out the TC Pro Hunter for a single shot
bolt.... Browning or Tikka
lever... Browning BLR (nice gun and has a clip)

Also IMO you could take a good look at the 7mm Rem Mag... great caliber and can reach out for some long shots if you need that and
it would have no problem with moose.

For me, 300s and up, have way too much recoil.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Congrats on the decision to have another child.

I agree with the others 100%. .300 Mag is an excellent caliber, but in my opinion is a lot of gun, way too much for me. There is nothing a .300 mag can do that a .308 or 30-06 can't. If you're looking for practicality or a gun your grandkids will shoot, get another 30 caliber. If you're looking for something hot for a few years, go the magnum route. I'm a small caliber guy though so take it with a grain of salt.

Many people go the magnum route and then realize they can't shoot the gun, for whatever reason. I'd hate to see somebody spend $1000 and then be stuck with something they don't want.

I shoot an A-Bolt and love it, and am considering an X-Bolt in .308 or 7mm-08. The X-Bolt has a bit too much "composite" AKA "plastic" for me, but there might be one in my cabinet soon enough. You might be able to find the .300 Mag in A-Bolt (only leftovers available now, except for special runs), and for sure in the X-bolt. If you find an A-Bolt in .308, new or used, please let me know as I'd buy it in a minute.

A friend has a Sako, very nice. Tikka is great, and the new Win Mod 70 is nice too.
>243, I might have a connection for ya, I will let ya know if he has one.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone,I appreciate all the info, I might reconsider on the 300win mag now, although I did grow up and learned to hoot with a ww greener 10 gauge, so I am not afraid of recoil....lol.....But why make a experience painful...lol...Any comments on Ruger 270?

·
Registered
565 Posts
I used to own a Ruger .270 and loved it, it was my go to gun for a long time, The only complaint I ever had was that the floor plate seemed to get scratched really easily and I had it replaced a few times only for cosmetic reasons, but the gun handled and shot well. I'd own another one.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I used to own a Ruger .270 and loved it, it was my go to gun for a long time, The only complaint I ever had was that the floor plate seemed to get scratched really easily and I had it replaced a few times only for cosmetic reasons, but the gun handled and shot well. I'd own another one.
Good point about the floor plate ,,,never owned one but have seen this more than once ... normal ding or 2 and bluing wear everywhere else but the floor plate couldn't hold paint to save it's life.

I'm partial to the older models with the tang safety.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I use a 300 win mag, love it, but it is a lot of gun. If you plan on hunting from a tree stand and plan on doing a lot of 100yds or less shots, I would suggest the old calibers(308, 270, even30-06). If you like to drive around a lot and hunt fields and stuff than a 300 is not a bad choice. I posted an example of Mag compared to reg calibers in the topic "Questions for the gun guys????????" (the 2nd post). It just shows that mags are a lot of gun, and that More power isn't always that great. Another thing they do is destroy a lot of meat.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts