New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question about the long gun registry. I have not read a great deal up on this, when it first came out I registered all my guns and never really asked why I was doing this. Just as of late I have been thinking about it and how much it really sucks. When I was a pup my best friend's father had a beautiful 25-35 nickle barrel rifle. He use to tell us a story of how an old man made a bet with him that if he could shoot a crow out of a tree a mile away the old man would give him the gun, and he did. I am shure it was just a story to impress us kids, I guess it was handed down to him. No one in that family hunted as they were all tree huggers. A few years ago just before c-391 came out the father passed away. By this time my buddy and I had went our own ways, started our own families ect. I know the family and know that no one in it would have wanted the gun after the father passed away. They are very well off so the mother would not have bothered to sell it, I assume she would have sent it to be destroyed when c-391 came into effect. Makes me kinda mad when I think of all the old guns that have been destroyed due to this bill. Anyway, I don't understand if the amnesty is good till May 16 2011 for people to register the guns how can the RCMP be taking guns that are not yet registered? From my understanding in posts I have read on this forum they have been asking people to see their papers, and most online forums do not let people post unregistered guns in the want adds. But if the guns do not HAVE to be registered until May then why do they "have to be"? Reason I ask this is there are alot of beautiful old guns out there that are being destroyed due to the old fella's are kick'n off and the families have no interest in the guns they leave behind, and as they may not be registered they have then destroyed due to paranoia of not only having a gun but one that is not legal, even though it is suppose to be legal until may 2011. At this point I am even paranoid to buy an unregistered gun, as much as I would like to I am trying to first find where the line is on this. All I can find on it is that guns do not have to be registered until May 2011, but all I hear is if you have or buy an unregistered gun you can be in alot of crap. If it is a case that I can legally buy an unregistered gun and register it I would put adds all over the place looking to by old unregistered guns and try to save some from being lost forever, but I can't find the exact answers to this anywhere

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I think the confusion is that you actually DO have to have your PAL or POL at this point,and the amnesty only applies to the unregistered guns themselves?I would guess that people that are having guns seized is because they have neither their PAL nor POL?
The amnesty is a way of buying time for the conservatives... Yes you need a possesion card, and yes your toys need to be registered, basically the anmesty will keep you from being in super deep poo if you happen to get caught. There is all the info on this you would ever want at canadiangunnutz.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Yep if they find you with an unregistered gun and you have neither a POL PAL or RPAL .... you are pooched, they are going to take it and you are not going to get it back. If you have a a License you will be able to register it.

Off for destruction assuming of course the officer doesn't take a shine to the Rifle he confiscated from you ..... Think that never happens ???

http://www.leaderpost.com/RCMP+offic...884/story.html

·
Registered
178 Posts
Thanks for the links, I am going to check these out. I can understand needing a POL, PAL or RPAL to keep the guns but there should be a way to be able to sell them while the amnesty is still in place. A big fear of mine is that my guns that have been handed down from my great grandfather, grandfather and father would not make it to my son if something happened to me before he reaches the age to get his own PAL. And I still don't get why people can not post unregistered guns for sale at thier discresion if we have a PAL and are able to register them, if this is indeed the case. And I totally agree Bradley, I am shure the officers get their pick of more than just guns that are confiscated lol. I an going to do some more reading with these links, there are always loop holes. What they should at least do is have a gun auctions for all the unregistered guns both handed over and confiscated imho.

·
Registered
495 Posts
In the case where you son is not of legal age yet, I believe they can be kept by another person who has a PAL until your son is of age and obtains his own PAL. The law is confusing and the antis would love it if every gun that could be seize out of confusion was seized and destroyed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts