New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Received the new flyer from Cabela's -- have you seen this yet?!?

Admittedly, I didn't take a great deal of time to study it in depth, but a couple of things did jump right off the page to bite the end of my nose...

1) SKS rifles 'On Sale' for $199+/ea. {Regular $229.99}

When The Gun Dealer put these on sale, they're priced at $149. You can buy them any day of the week for what Cabela's calls their "Special Buy" price.

2) Challenger Target Loads; 12 ga 'On Sale' at $64.99+/250-rd case. "Save Over 20%"

If my late-night mental math is accurate, that puts the regular price at $80/case. Again, The Gun Dealer sells these at $61.99/case. EVERY DAY.

3) GSG 110-rd Drum Mag for the 10/22, priced @ $119.99/ea

At The Gun Dealer, I paid $99.99 for mine, and that was the regular price!

A brief glance thru this flyer reminds me of another giant US retailer who came to Canada, not too long ago, with the severely misguided attitude that we live in igloos and aren't informed shoppers. I hope Cabela's doesn't "target" us that way.

We live in interesting times. It'll sure be exciting to see how this unfolds.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I never found that Cabela's had great prices there a bit on the high end, but every time I ordered something there was simply because I could not find it elswhere and they had it. It won't be different with Bass Pro another high end store but if they have it in stock when you need it thats what's important.

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
X2 .. add to that the ease of a couple of mouse clicks...

·
Registered
629 Posts
True dat! We are all used to Cabela's catalog prices by now. There shouldn't be any shockers and as you say, lots of folks will pay that little extra to be able to walk out the door with it instead of waiting for the mail to come.

·
Registered
31 Posts
doesn't the sks in the sale have a laminated stock? that usually adds a few $$

the Gun dealer is 3 hour drive one way from Moncton, unless you go up there and buy 1000$+ of stuff, gas food, and time then it's wouldn't be worth it.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Sounds like they've been talking to the Canadian Tire people!!!! Maybe they'll have things on permanent 'sale' at 60% off too!!!
LOL.....almost every time I go into CDN Tire I end up leaving with some tool or another @30-60% off "regular price" that I wasn't shopping for but "might" use some day......I can't resist?
:rolleyes:

The local small town country hardware store/gun shop near my work shop has crates of SKS to pick thru every day @$199,and Rossi Ranch Hands for $50 less than any of the local Big Box stores including Can Tire,WSS,BPS,and Cabelas.
I'm just still kinda on the fence considering buying a Ranch Hand in either .44mag or .45LC?

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
YEP.. same here.. got enough thin cutting disks the Great Grandkids be using them ...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Was at Cabela's yesterday for the pre-opening sale. Price the same as online. Left there and went to Green Diamond Outfitters. Bought a box of Winchester Ballistic Silvertip, 55 grain .223 ammo for $15 a box cheaper. Old stock. The new stock will be $10 cheaper.

$39.99 at Cabelas. $29.99 at Green Diamond now.

A wheeler engineering scope leveling system for $20 cheaper at Green Diamond.

Cabela's didn't have the rifle or scope in stock that I wanted which was a bummer. Checked their website and they were on backorder.

Not knocking Cabela's but I will price things at the other local stores first. If they don't have what I want I will then check Cabela's. Good thing about Cabela's is out of stock items will be shipped in and there won't be any shipping cost. Cheaper than shopping online.

Still like the new store though.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Cabela's knows, as do a lot of bright marketing types, that people will pay more for the same item as long as they get a superior shopping experience. Its all about the perceived value. You'll see Cabela's working very hard on the shopping experience.

I have to say I do take a little exception to the people who say they would rather "shop local" Shop local means shopping at stores in your neighborhood, Cabela's is now local and not an internet presence with your money leaving the province and not supporting local people. As of now there are quite a few local people working at cabela's , paying taxes, buying groceries, supporting their local families and the local economy. A lot of local people did pretty well through the construction phase of the store and others will continue to benefit supplying the store with the various things you need to keep the place running, like light bulbs, cleaning supplies, stationary,trucking,courier etc etc.. They are buying NB Power, using Alliant phones, paying Moncton city taxes and provincial hst on sales. Its a big chain, no doubt about it, but the store is as local as Green Diamond (John Deere) or Canadian Tire.

I completely get it if you would prefer to support "the little guy" who's trying to make a go and give some 1 on 1 service but as for shop local...its pretty local and should contribute a lot to the community.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Cabela's knows, as do a lot of bright marketing types, that people will pay more for the same item as long as they get a superior shopping experience. Its all about the perceived value. You'll see Cabela's working very hard on the shopping experience.
I have to say I do take a little exception to the people who say they would rather "shop local" Shop local means shopping at stores in your neighborhood, Cabela's is now local and not an internet presence with your money leaving the province and not supporting local people. As of now there are quite a few local people working at cabela's , paying taxes, buying groceries, supporting their local families and the local economy. A lot of local people did pretty well through the construction phase of the store and others will continue to benefit supplying the store with the various things you need to keep the place running, like light bulbs, cleaning supplies, stationary,trucking,courier etc etc.. They are buying NB Power, using Alliant phones, paying Moncton city taxes and provincial hst on sales. Its a big chain, no doubt about it, but the store is as local as Green Diamond (John Deere) or Canadian Tire.
I completely get it if you would prefer to support "the little guy" who's trying to make a go and give some 1 on 1 service but as for shop local...its pretty local and should contribute a lot to the community.
I agree. Not to mention they are/ will be offering to support and sponsor local events. They aren't shy about giving money back to the community.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I get what you are saying about them now being "Local". I was not saying that I would not support them, I will whenever I can't find something I want at the other stores. I am happy to have Cabela's here, and Bass Pro when it opens. But I will also shop around for the best price. It still keeps my money in New Brunswick ( to some degree ) and still supports local employment, whichever place I shop at.

·
Registered
867 Posts
"You'll see Cabela's working very hard on the shopping experience."

ROFLMAO!!!
....good luck wit dat

If you can even find a sales staff member,chances are you know more about the product then they do.

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
W"KRP" .. LOL

·
Registered
867 Posts
I call BS on that one AB. Cabela's Edmonton (both) has NEVER let me down with knowledgeable staff....NEVER.

Cabela's Moncton...maybe. (??) Who knows...WKRP could be working the Camping section... :rolleyes:
To be honest,I've only ever been in West EDM Cabelas once....and that was just a few weeks ago,but in my experience,the staff that I dealt with...at least 3 different employees,were hardly what I'd call knowledgeable nor very helpful...your mileage may vary?
In fairness though,it's no different,no better nor worse then BassPro,Wholesale Sports,or any other big box store I spose,and what I've come to expect as the norm.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Received the new flyer from Cabela's -- have you seen this yet?!?

Admittedly, I didn't take a great deal of time to study it in depth, but a couple of things did jump right off the page to bite the end of my nose...

1) SKS rifles 'On Sale' for $199+/ea. {Regular $229.99}

When The Gun Dealer put these on sale, they're priced at $149. You can buy them any day of the week for what Cabela's calls their "Special Buy" price.

2) Challenger Target Loads; 12 ga 'On Sale' at $64.99+/250-rd case. "Save Over 20%"

If my late-night mental math is accurate, that puts the regular price at $80/case. Again, The Gun Dealer sells these at $61.99/case. EVERY DAY.

3) GSG 110-rd Drum Mag for the 10/22, priced @ $119.99/ea

At The Gun Dealer, I paid $99.99 for mine, and that was the regular price!

A brief glance thru this flyer reminds me of another giant US retailer who came to Canada, not too long ago, with the severely misguided attitude that we live in igloos and aren't informed shoppers. I hope Cabela's doesn't "target" us that way.

We live in interesting times. It'll sure be exciting to see how this unfolds.
Some items may be cheaper at The Gun Dealer but I will pay more to get frendly, knowlegeable and honest service any day of the week. The Gun Dealer acts as if he's doing us a favor by taking our money. I welcome Cabelas to New Brunswick. They are creating a lot of good jobs and that is great for the local economy.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.