New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Browning Wasp recurve that was given to me about 10 years ago. I haven't shot it in a very long time - it has no string, I've got no arrows, and I'm an archery noob.

Well, I happen to know where some nice bucks are that I can only hunt with buckshot or a bow. The landowner hinted he might let me bowhunt on his land a couple years ago. So, I'm thinking of picking up the skill. I don't really like bows because I figure a gun packs a lot more punch, BUT I'm also realistic enough to know I'm going to have to adapt if I want to keep filling my tag. Deer are getting fewer and farther between.

Anyway - I know there's some archery shop in Fredericton, but I'm headed to Portland in 3 weeks. Is there any point to taking the bow down there to talk to an "expert" at Cabelas and get the string, arrows, and whatever else I need down there? Would I save any money?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Maybe, but make sure you register it at the canadian customs so you don't get nailed with duty or taxes when you return.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
No it wont be worth it, Most of the workers at the cabelas in maine are just workers, Just like here at walmart for the most part. The archery shop there would sets bows up but Id imagine 99 percent are compound bows. Also I highly doubt they would have the right string in stock and you would have to order it, in fact I know they wouldnt have the string in stock.

If you take it to atlantic archery im sure bryan could get ya set up for as much or probably less then if you took it to cabelas, Thats if the bow is still in decent enought shape for shooting. Hopefully no limbs are cracked or warped or anything like that. And hate to tell ya but a well placed arrows does just as much damage as a bullet.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And hate to tell ya but a well placed arrows does just as much damage as a bullet.
.... you gotta be a lot closer.
I shot this year's deer at 10, 15 yards, but last year's was 100 yards. Anything a bow can do a gun can do better - except get close to houses.

Otherwise, we never would have bothered inventing rifles.

Now, a bow may be a low more fun for some people than a gun, but that's another issue.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No it wont be worth it, Most of the workers at the cabelas in maine are just workers, Just like here at walmart for the most part. The archery shop there would sets bows up but Id imagine 99 percent are compound bows. Also I highly doubt they would have the right string in stock and you would have to order it, in fact I know they wouldnt have the string in stock.

If you take it to atlantic archery im sure bryan could get ya set up for as much or probably less then if you took it to cabelas, Thats if the bow is still in decent enought shape for shooting. Hopefully no limbs are cracked or warped or anything like that. And hate to tell ya but a well placed arrows does just as much damage as a bullet.
Good to know. I've looked the bow over myself and can't see any cracks or warps, but I'm no archer.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Lol with a traditional bow your gonna need to do alot of practice to hunt deer safely also. They are alot harder to master thats for sure.
I bet ya once ya shot one with a bow, You would never get the same excitement from a rifle again,

·
Registered
411 Posts
My two cents. I've been to Cabelas in Maine quite a few times and I did not find any experts. Don't get me wrong nice bunch quite helpful but no experts. I think you would be a lot better off at a archery shop. There are a lot of archery shops in Maine also. There is the Oldtown Archery shop in Oldtown , also there is Oldtown Trading Post that is always good for a visit.
Check google.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts