New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and a buddy went out yesterday morning. We just got a decoy set up threw some meat out and went back a hundred yards or so. My friend got on the rabbit distress call first just an el-cheapo from Canadian tire. We waited a couple of minutes then I started in on the coyote howler call I bought, this is the first time we tried it and the only experience I had using it was a youtube video. Needless to say I was skeptical at best of our call quality but we still tried. Well probably about 8 minutes in my friend hears a noise in an alder thicket to our left and i tried listening for it but i couldn't hear anything. After a couple minutes he hears it again so he starts slowly swinging over his gun as I am turning down the magnification on his scope. Just as he is getting the gun in position we spot the coyote, instead of coming out in front of us like expected he ended up about 20 feet directly to our left. By the time the gun was in his direction he was long gone. But all in all I feel very satisfied just knowing that we have the ability to call in coyotes.....needless to say now I am hooked haha. The second set we tried had quite a different outcome, we tried a different spot and went with the same call sequence. This time though when I finished on the howler a big doe and a smaller doe come stomping up the trail towards us blowing the whole way haha...these deer must not have been too smart coming to the sound of a coyote. So on that note I better get to bed because we are off again at 7:30 for round two.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I'm not sure if it's a good thing everyone's having such luck on their first time calling or not? Sure lots of coyotes out there... Hopefully all of us will start getting some soon.

Good luck with the hunting, and keep the stories coming! Love reading about other's out hunting while I'm stuck at work.

·
Registered
283 Posts
well your report sure gives us who haven't tried calling coyotes some encouragement to get out there and try. My buddy just bought a new 22-250 at GD and I'm looking at 12 gauge choke tube options for closer shots. I have a modified choke tube that came with my 870 and I want to get out and check what kind of pattern I can get with some bigger shot. Keep us posted.

Bill G.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well we were out again today and on our third set of 4 each about half an hour we parked the truck walked into the clearing sat on a stump and my buddy did a little blow on the rabbit distress call i watched one side and he watched the other. Not a minute later a see a coyote come running in maybe a hundred yards away. Being the first I have ever shot at I got a little excited i found his face in my scope among the brush and shot......well i missed and even though it sounds like excuses i have a couple reasons as to why i may have missed him earlier today i dropped the gun that never helps and the cut was full of little growth and there was a lot of it between me and the coyote. We looked for blood but only found his tracks moving away and fast haha. So now I am 2 for 6 in coyote calling sets and am very suprised with the amount I am seeing. Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Thanks for the story BMckay! You'll get him next time. Your calling sure seems to be working!

·
Registered
283 Posts
outstanding that your getting some action and I'm sure that your going to connect on the next dog that sticks his nose out. What end of the province are you hunting, out by McAdam? I want to try the training area as there are some good open areas to glass over out there.

Bill G.

·
Registered
283 Posts
seems that 22-250 shells and predator calls are pretty scarce at Walmart and Canadian Tire, I think that predator hunting is catching on. Not that I'm getting off track from Christmas shopping or anything.

Bill G.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Went back near the camp today ,looking for pictures of a Lynx that`s hanging around there,tryed the distressed Rabbit call,second call an something comes running through the bushes towards us,then hangs up ,just at that time my dog in the truck nearby ,gets a smell of something an goes haywire,needless to say so much for a picture of whatever it was,tomorrow the dog will stay home..This a great spot as theres Bobcat tracks ,Lynx tracks an lots of Coyotes in the area.... Oh well better luck tomorrow

1 - 13 of 13 Posts