New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have never set out intentionally trying to do it, but have on occasion observed them approach when using a fawn distress call in May/June. I suspect this would be the most effective time for calling. Check out some of the BC and predator hunting forums I suspect the technique is more popular and common there and other provinces/ states that don't allow baiting.

·
Registered
629 Posts
If you use it in conjunction with a bait you will get a certain response. I always had this idea that "chatter" around the baitsite would elicit curiosity if nothing else. Blind calling has never done it for me. I've tried the fawn thing a zillion times... It can work I've no doubt but, to be in earshot of a good bear (who are naturally quite sparse everywhere you might hunt) and have said bear also show an interest is a remote shot at success at best. Then, if you believe good hunting is about putting the odds in you favor, blind calling amounts to a mistake in strategy. In a spot/stalk, I think you might fair mighty well, its exciting to begin with; imagine "grunting" at a 350 pounder and having him turn on a dime!!! Awe!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts