New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are some great hunters on here who call in those monsters every year. I'd like to hear and learn about some of your techniques. For me, calling has always been a secondary thing to hunting the apples. I blow on a doe call a couple of times every 15-20 minutes, and then for the last hour or so before dark, I blow on a buck call at about the same time period. If I hear or see a deer coming, my calling stops. I'm not sure I've ever gotten any real answers, at least not in the same way I have Moose hunting, so I'm not sure if my calling does a damn bit of good, or if I'm better off just shutting up totally and waiting.

What do you folks do?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I only use a call to get the attention of a deer that is walking away from me. I typically bow hunt over fields, so the deer will often enter the field 100 to 200 yards from my location. Sometimes I get lucky and they will naturally wander over towards me, but then again sometimes they will start wandering in the opposite direction. In that case, I will throw out a few grunt calls, or doe calls, to grab their attention. They always hear it, but they don't always care. Most times I have to get pretty aggressive on the call in order to peak their curiosity enough to start moving toward me. It gets their attention everytime, and I can get them to close from 200yards to 50yards. Now I'm just waiting for one of those bucks to get a little stupid/curious and close to about 30yards.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I rarely call "blind" - usually I use a grunt to get a deer's attention if it doesn't seem to be coming my way, and I've had success this way. Blowing a call every now and then on stand doesn't hurt, but don't over do it, and don't blow it too loud. But I seem to have more success just being quiet.

·
Registered
66 Posts
On Monday (opening day) I went to a different area after a few hours at my tree-stand. I choose a spot to sit and use mt grunt call (young buck) and did a serie of two grunt a minute a part. Within 2 minutes I heard a deer coming. After a few more minutes he showed up. It was a small 4 pointer. I let him go.

Yesterday afternoon I went back to my tree-stand and use my bleat call a couple of times and not too long after 2 does showed up. Because one of the doe was looking back all the time I was sure there was another deer trailing. I heard some branches cracked but never saw the third one.

Grunt or bleat calls worked often, you just have to be patient. I got a friend in NS that use an electronic caller and when the weather is cold he leaves the caller on for an hour. Apparently he shoot a few that way. I don't think I would do that if I had an electronic caller, it would get on my nerves to hear the grunt call for an hour.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I have never had much luck using my doe bleat (can call) or my grunt tube. when sitting on stand I will use the doe bleat every 30 minutes or so. 2 or 3 calls in a row.

Never rattled in a buck but will start using the rattling antlers with the grunt tube very soon.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I usually use a grunt call...but I find I have more success with it when the rut is on. I really only have success with a grunt in the middle of the woods in a transition zone or bedding area, have never had success with it in a field ..usually if there is a buck in the area he will come in hard just to see what it is....but if i get no activity i use it probaly every 30 minutes with breaking a few twigs. I find does are very comfortable with the call..have even let them go and 10 minutes later give a little grunt and they seem to wander back again. It is all trial and error and every hunt brings new surprises .....

·
Registered
18 Posts
The thing is some people will say don't use them too much they will find you....well is that not what we want. I shoot most my deer within bow range but in dense woods from a stand or ground blind if I think I can pull it off...the thing is you want to attract the deer and to have everything work in your favor so he doesn't get your scent or anything. I have had some bucks come in so far and start grunting and tearing the woods apart, because he can't find me ....then I figure he lost it now he is out of control and not making good decisions..then i usually give just one little grunt and maybe break a twig and he will usually come right in to your view under the stand...It is all fun...and like I said I have alot of stories ,racks I have given to kids and racks in the shed.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I don't agree with everything girlscout said. She's lying through her teeth when she says she's baiting when there is not one thing in her list that smacks of food. She is giving us lazy ass baiters a bad name.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I agree with GS except not every buck will circle downwind... but MOST will. I try to set up so downwind is either not an option or I can see downwind when they circle.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Seriously though, I don't find they work well if the buck/doe ratio is outta wack. I used to get them to come in before the doe tag system was implemented but noticed it became ineffective within a few years, also used to see a lot more animals back then. However, it was more them just the extra hunting pressure on the bucks, they put a 4-lane through the best areas I knew and hunted for years then Irving added lots of new wood roads and clear cut 100's of acres of mixed forest and replanted single species. OMG, the deer population around here has plummeted so bad, the out-of-towners don't even park on the access road anymore.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Seriously though, I don't find they work well if the buck/doe ratio is outta wack.
well i have been using a grunt call since the early 80,s and I have the same success with them each year..I myself figure it has to do with how they are used...takes alot of hunts to find what works.....I have been with people and said give me a grunt show me how you use it...LOL if I was a deer I would not be coming to it either after what I have heard from others

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the great info GS. I'll give that a shot. I was off the grid for the last few days at the camp, and saw several does, but nothing with Antlers before dark. As usual, once things get really swinging, I usually have more luck seeing bucks, but I'll try a bit of that aggressive calling and see what happens.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Still deer in Coles Island......just not on the roads or power lines anymore....have to head into the woods to track them down.
I have seen them on cam, unfortunately not during the day though....oh well just fun being in the woods or at camp with my dad.
Haven't had any success with calling but it is probably me using it incorrectly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts