New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im wondering who here has bottled deer meat without the use of a preasure cooker, im sure many have. Also how long to boil for

·
Registered
19 Posts
Slice 1/2" thick pieces of onion and put in bottom of each jar. Stuff jar full to the bottom of the neck leaving a small space. All you need is a large canning pot and put a wire trivet in the bottom so the jars don't break during boiling. Place jars in pot then fill pot with water to the ring of the jar. Once water starts to boil, turn down heat to slow boil, then boil for 3 hours. You will have to add water once or twice during this time. Caution, pour in hot water from taps not cold. Jars may break. This process will tenderize the meat and seal it for a couple of years. Enjoy!

·
Registered
797 Posts
Yup what he said, i boil them between 2.5 and 3 hours, and add a couple strips of bacon to each pint and some oinion salt intead of actuals--Tastes incredible..I have a canning pot that has a rack with it and handles that hook on the top edges of the pot when it time to remove.i pack the meat to the bottom of the neck, fill the neck with water, tighten lids down and then back off half a turn, put them down in the pot and cover the lids half to one inch above.I've used just a regular pot as well and had no problems..RR

·
Registered
19 Posts
RR, dad and I have bottle meat before and there is no need for the water in bottle. The meat creates it's own juice. We did turn back the lids about a half turn, then when the meat is done in 3hrs time, tighten the lids fully and let them pop as they cool.
X2

·
Registered
456 Posts
Slice 1/2" thick pieces of onion and put in bottom of each jar. Stuff jar full to the bottom of the neck leaving a small space. All you need is a large canning pot and put a wire trivet in the bottom so the jars don't break during boiling. Place jars in pot then fill pot with water to the ring of the jar. Once water starts to boil, turn down heat to slow boil, then boil for 3 hours. You will have to add water once or twice during this time. Caution, pour in hot water from taps not cold. Jars may break. This process will tenderize the meat and seal it for a couple of years. Enjoy!
Duck meat is also amazing when done like this, i breast all my ducks and cook 90% of them this way

·
Registered
90 Posts
When canning meat without a pressure cooker(which all books say is a no no as the temps do not get high enough to kill some bacterias) the key thing to remember is to sterilize your bottles and seals before packing. This step is not required when using a pressure cooker.

If you are going to do any amount of canning, a pressure cooker is a must, you can do 16 pints in 1 canner in 1hr15mins and once they are up to temp they take virtually no heat to keep @ pressure.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I use the same type of canning pot that RR uses. I put some onion a bit of salt and a touch of montreal steak spice in with mine...cook for 3 hrs and then the best part

eat it!!!!

like 300rum said. make sure your bottles are clean and use new seals and you will be fine

·
Registered
495 Posts
Just a word of caution, in case you have never had a round with food poisoning. I have had two mild encounters with Salmonella poisoning. Not fun and that is mild form of food poison in any case.

When bottling meat a more serious bacteria can be present, Clostridium botulinumand or more commonly known as Botulism. Even with sterilizing the bottles beforehand, the fact that they are still exposed while filling allows possible contamination.

You'll note in the above link that the are no signs to look for only symptoms after the fact. This is due to the fact that Botulism is odorless and tasteless. While rare, the damage wrecked on your body can be stopped but not reversed. Myself, I'd rather not experience it.

Prevention is simple, cook your meat in the bottles at a higher temperature to destroy the bacteria. Using a pressure cooker/canner is faster in any case so your done quicker and you know your safe to boot.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
unless I am missing something how could a pressure cooker / canner be any safer. doesn't it work basically the same
I cook in boiling water for 3hrs...hard to imagine this isn't hot enough

• Upvote
Reactions: styk

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
300RUM Hunter

where did you get your pressure canner and how big is it? How many bottles can do you at 1 time

·
Registered
495 Posts
unless I am missing something how could a pressure cooker / canner be any safer. doesn't it work basically the same
I cook in boiling water for 3hrs...hard to imagine this isn't hot enough
Basically yes, add heat, water boils but the pressure that builds inside a pressure cooker/canner is higher then in the non-pressure building canning pot which increases the boiling point of the water within.

Normal water boiling point is 212F, in a 15lb pressure cooker, 252f, the difference is enough to kill botulism bacteria.

·
Registered
289 Posts
The temp inside the pressure cooker is up to 25% higher.

The water that you boil are boiling for 3 hours is 100 degrees (at sea level), it never gets any hotter ... it just turns to steam.
The higher the altitude the lower temperature that it will take to boil the water.

Inside the canner the steam is trapped and pressurizes the water and this means the water will not boil until a higher temperature is achieved .... at 15 psi the water will boil at 125 or so degrees and the the steam is is hotter as well.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Botulism bacteria takes a really high temp to kill, can't remember exactly but its way higher than 100C

·
Registered
90 Posts
Here's a good website on canning meat. http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-Food/1983-09-01/Canning-Meat.aspx

NBDEERHUNTER, our pressure canners came from Canadian Tire, it's 22qt and it will take 16 pints at a time. You can meat at 10psi for 1hr15mins so it's much faster and if you do it on a propane burner, once it's at pressure, it takes next to no flame to keep it at pressure for the duration of the process.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts