New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
yes you can, yes they are, it's in the hunting guide...

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
you can carry your 22-250 until Feb 28th with your deer license

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
stupidest law ever passed in Newbie if you ask me.

Varmint season should be from January 1st 'till April 30th, end of story.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I duno I like the Varmint season Like it is.

If someone wanted to say that folks that tag out can chase yotes till the end of November with a Shotgun, I'd be cool with that -- but I've always thought the caliber restrictions in the varmint season were overkill.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
stupidest law ever passed in Newbie if you ask me.

Varmint season should be from January 1st 'till April 30th, end of story.
I completely disagree with this, if/when I tag my Deer and Bear season is over, I want to be able to be out there clearing up coyotes for the rest of the beautiful fall weather. Saying that everyone carrying one of the large 22 calibers after they tag out is poaching isn't a fair assessment at all. Also, there are so many coyotes out there now that the longer we're able to go get them the better.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I completely disagree with this, if/when I tag my Deer and Bear season is over, I want to be able to be out there clearing up coyotes for the rest of the beautiful fall weather. Saying that everyone carrying one of the large 22 calibers after they tag out is poaching isn't a fair assessment at all. Also, there are so many coyotes out there now that the longer we're able to go get them the better.
Totally agree with you WARDO. If I take a weeks holiday for deer and I shoot my deer the first part of the week, the coyote caller is comming with me the rest of the week, and I'm still doing a hunt, that's why I took a weeks holiday for. This year for example, brought my 6 year old son for a drive and a coyote ran out across a wood road, stoped the truck, put the crying cotontail rabbit full volume and in about 1 min 1/2, he came running back out. Pretty cool!

·
Registered
925 Posts
Oddly enough,I can carry a .58cal muzzleloader with a 400gr slug in the bore year round(minus Sept.20-30),but anybody carrying a .243 in December for coyotes obviously must be an ill-intentioned criminal.
I didn't know this until the other day when RR and I were talking. This makes our caliber restrictions look even more ridiculous.

·
Registered
358 Posts
The caliber restriction is just another fine example of our government telling us what we do and do not need,what we can and cannot have,because they know what's best for us.Strange though how most western provinces and most states trust their citizens to hunt within the confines of the law and season dates for each given species,whereas in NB,if we are carrying a centerfire rifle,obviously our intentions are to kill big game,no matter what time of year,and we must be poaching?Do Alberta whitetail hunters shoot mulies,elk,and moose out of season any more than NB deer hunters shoot moose out of season?Sure it happens,but not too much I'd be willing to bet?Poachers will be poachers and those that do follow the laws and season dates will continue to do so,no matter what caliber rifle they are carrying.Oddly enough,I can carry a .58cal muzzleloader with a 400gr slug in the bore year round(minus Sept.20-30),but anybody carrying a .243 in December for coyotes obviously must be an ill-intentioned criminal.
Maybe next September I'll try calling bears into bow range with my birchbark horn,lol.MY GAWD!!!!! What an oversight allowing bearhunters to bowhunt during moose season.
How did our all-knowing government ever miss that one?They must KNOW that bearhunters hold themselves to the highest moral standards,would NEVER dream of helping a buddy fill a moose tag by covering another area with a silent but violent compound bow,and that certainly there are absolutely NO "bear hunters" buying "Big Black Animal" licences(wink,wink)only so that they can carry a .30cal all throughout October....nope,nobody would ever do that.
That's why the bear hunter success rate is 2-3x higher for guided non-res hunters that are generally here for a week as it is for resident hunters that have 20weeks to fill a bear tag,lol.It aint because there guides are so wonderful(not saying they aren't either)but because alot of "bearhunters" aint hunting bears at all.......oooooo,wait a minute,that's not helping my case much is it?
Point being,poachers will be poachers,no amount of caliber restrictions is going to stop them,however I might concede that it might take the temptation out of the hands of some "would-be" poachers?That said,with it being the status quo in NB for so long now,hunters here are just plain hard-wired to beleive that if there were no cal restrictions poaching would run rampant,whereas that's certainly not the case in other states/provinces that have multiple big game species available to hunt.....go figger?I guess we're just bad people by nature that can't be trusted with anything bigger than a BB gun?
Wasn't this the first year that bear bow season and moose season ran concurrent? Perhaps this is the reason why bear licenses sold out?

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
It happened 3 years ago (moose/bow bear).

As for my previous post, I stand by my word. When I see a lone hunter still hunting a ridge in late November with a varmint rifle....well, I say this guy's gotta one thing on his mind; party hunting. The varmint law just gave these ill-intentioned individuals a loop hole.

The caliber restriction is ridiculous. One of the best combination for effectively killing yotes out West to long distances is a 100gr in .270

Mating season, and thus coyote calling and hunting, is at it's best from January to April. I wonder just how many dogs are shot outside of this time period....

·
Registered
289 Posts
Well I can't speak for anyone else but the only reason that i do not have any dogs to my credit last fall is because i didn't see any.

Call me crazy but the varmint season is one of the few shining examples of good opportunity for hunting for hard working New Brunswickers that we have. Most of our alternate hunting options are squeezed into a few weeks in the fall. To attempt to restrict this season for fear of enabling poachers paints everyone with the same brush and I seriously doubt will save any animals from untoward individuals.

The caliber restrictions are what they are but for the most part they allow enforcement officers to effectively charge someone with poaching while they are sitting in their truck with a gun behind the seat. While that may be the intention of some, it has never been mine and I"m betting that it is similarly true for a number of members here as well.

An early bear license means that a bit of orange and the proper paper work entitles someone to carry slugs for their shotgun and a larger caliber rifle into the summer. There are a good number of people who do not hunt bear but routinely see them during our fishing seasons. Sure they are more afraid of you than you are of them but when your vehicle is 1 km away, and many many more miles away from cell coverage and your kids are with you ... it's money well spent. If that causes someone to question my ethics and or intentions ....... I frankly don't care. and ironically I have spoken to rangers when entering crown reserve locations that have asked if I have a gun, not because they want to bust me -- but rather because they've had trouble with bears.

Some people just like to shoot,well true they are free to join a range we have a ton of crown land in NB that the only way to plink around is to purchase a hunting license. This sucks in my opinion (and I belong to a range) but as a kid some of my fondest memories were plinking cans with a 22 after a trout fishing excursion.

I'd expect the granola eaters and MEC outfitted mountain bikers (who I have yet to run into in 40 years tramping around the woods) to take issue with this -- but that doesn't mean my dad was doing anything wrong.

My 223 and / or a 12 guage serves as a "truck gun" for most of the year. Why? because that's all I'm permitted to carry without being deemed a poacher in this province. I purchase 2 licenses to pull this off. I've never shot a bear in my life but the purchase of one additional license means that I can carry and shoot my other guns more than 4 weeks a year. Maybe I'm not officially a bear hunter but there are lots of empty tags every fall and no one questions if or not they are deer hunters.

Now does this mean I am unaware of folks tagging out in the fall but continuing to " group hunt" afterwards? Not at all .... but short of kicking folks out of the woods after they tag out ---> and or catching them in the act (aside of course from the 3 days a year that we officially sanction Group hunting to the delight of many New Brunswickers) I'm not sure what we should do about this. I would say emphatically that one of My ruger 1022 rifles loaded with 10 or even 25 stingers could easily replace the 22-250 in the arms of the guy walking a ridge in the fall. Anyone that doesn't feel that this guy is any threat to an additional deer (based on his caliber choice) is welcomed to stand downrange and see how many bounce off.
Plus none of this has any bearing on the ability of the same guy to carry his 300WinMag and still group hunt ... but instead of him tagging the first one -- he tags the last one.

His actions and intentions are what makes him a poacher .... not what he is carrying -- and they might have a better chance of conviction if they actually investigated ... but alas the low hanging fruit is the guy with a slug under the seat of his truck. The
Caliber restrictions IMO neither enable nor discourage a poacher ... but they do require the rest of us to jump through hoops.

We all hate poachers ... what I resent however is the following scenario --

One of the half dozen enforcement officers that we have in the province pulls over my quad in Trout season to look over my license and gear ....
he discovers a shotgun and loses his mind because it doesn't have a 30 inch barrel. I show him the certification and the verification page ... remove the barrel and let him measure it and the overall length .... Ok we're good i think ....
But it's sawed off!!?? ............ You just measured it sir , I am not breaking the law. ........ ok we're good
where's your varmint license ? Produce it .... Ok we're good
Wait are those slugs ? .... Show him my bear license .... Ok we're good.
Wait where's your orange ? ....... It's in the back with the gun ... OK we're good ........
Is your bike registered? ..... yep
............have a nice day
Thanks

Now if i tell him about the guys down the river that are fishing with spinning gear or the dude that ran up over the bank with a salmon I get some song and dance about unless they catch them red handed there isn't much that can be done. If we are much into the season in fact their freezer could be full and there isn't a lot that can be done either .... but it's a good thing i remembered my orange hat!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I hear you.

We got to get some changes in the Act.

I have tagged several deer over the years shot with my .223.

Caliber laws mean nothing to an individual who is going to poach.

Result is many deer hunters who cannot afford an extra rifle to hunt 'yotes are barred from the field.

Totally asinine situation.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Hunter Orange under F+W act

NEW BRUNSWICK
REGULATION 81-58
under the
FISH AND WILDLIFE ACT

5 This Regulation applies from and including the first
day of September to and including the thirty-first day of
December in each year.

Therefore does NOT apply to Spring Bear season or Summer Varmit hunting until Sept

·
Registered
49 Posts
It happened 3 years ago (moose/bow bear).

As for my previous post, I stand by my word. When I see a lone hunter still hunting a ridge in late November with a varmint rifle....well, I say this guy's gotta one thing on his mind; party hunting. The varmint law just gave these ill-intentioned individuals a loop hole.

The caliber restriction is ridiculous. One of the best combination for effectively killing yotes out West to long distances is a 100gr in .270

Mating season, and thus coyote calling and hunting, is at it's best from January to April. I wonder just how many dogs are shot outside of this time period....
Well i for one hunt outside those times ,when out scouting for moose ,during an after Deer season are also great times for coyotes,especially around the ponches of deer..No i like Coyote season as it is but them again sooner hunt them than Deer,I`m more apt to shoot a Deer while Coyote hunting in Deer season ,lol. The caliber thing is retarded,show me the animal i can`t knock down with my 22-250,don``t care how big it is ,"shot placement"

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well i for one hunt outside those times ,when out scouting for moose ,during an after Deer season are also great times for coyotes,especially around the ponches of deer..No i like Coyote season as it is but them again sooner hunt them than Deer,I`m more apt to shoot a Deer while Coyote hunting in Deer season ,lol. The caliber thing is retarded,show me the animal i can`t knock down with my 22-250,don``t care how big it is ,"shot placement"
Exactly

1 - 20 of 20 Posts