New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Saturday I was stopped by the RCMP and was told that my gun had to be cased or a trigger lock on it at all times when in the vehicle. This is while driving and hunting not in town. They said they could seize the gun and I could be charged under a criminal offence. Are They Full of it or what?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Yesterday I was stopped by the RCMP and was told that my gun had to be cased or a trigger lock on it at all times when in the vehicle. This is while driving and hunting not in town. They said they could seize the gun and I could be charged under a criminal offence. Are They Full of it or what?
As long as it's daylight hours, you don't need to have your gun cased or trigger-locked. It just can't be loaded. They are full of it.

They are confusing "restricted" firearms regulations with "non-restricted."

·
Registered
283 Posts
When I lived in NS the law stated that you must have your firearms cased at all times when in or on a motor vehicle. However in NB there is no such law to the best of my knowledge and I get stopped every so often on my four wheeler by conservation officials and my gun was uncased and they didn't say anything. If I was you I'd be getting that officers name and taking this matter up with his superiors. After legal shooting time then ofcourse your firearm must be cased.

Bill G.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hey Bowman, on another note,did they ask you for a gun registration because as I understand it,rangers won't check for it but rcmp will.As for the uncased gun it is ok to drive with one during reg. hunting hours but from what i've been told it has to be unloaded and chamber open for rifles or barrel open in the case of single shot shotguns.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Bowman, on another note,did they ask you for a gun registration because as I understand it,rangers won't check for it but rcmp will.As for the uncased gun it is ok to drive with one during reg. hunting hours but from what i've been told it has to be unloaded and chamber open for rifles or barrel open in the case of single shot shotguns.
they did ask for a firearm licence. and said my gun had to be cased while in the vehicle.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I have been stopped twice by RCMP with a 12-gauge in my lap.
Never a problem, although one time they asked to see a hunting licence and both times asked me to show that the gun was not loaded. Never even asked me for my registration.
I'm no expert, but my reading of the law says you can drive down Main Street in Moncton with an unloaded firearm uncased if you want to. Don't take that as gospel, because like I said, I'm no expert. But I've read the law and unless I missed something, those cops were full of shite.
That's not unusual. They have so many laws to keep up with, they can't possibly know them all.
I stand to be corrected, but like I say, stopped twice, no problems.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I don't think it is illegal, however I cannot prove that from the F&W Act.

For those of us who bow hunt, get a bow sling. The bow is considered cased when this is on the bow. Its also a very nice way to carry the bow out of the woods at night.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I always thought it was illegal due to it has to be cased or trigger locked after hunting hours, days it is illegal to hunt ect... I assume that because you can not shoot at these times or days and the gun has to be in a case, even if it is after hunting hours and you are comming out of the bush it must be in a case, then due to it is illegal to shoot from a vehicle it must also be in a case. Some cops might stop you comming out of the bush after hours and say nothing about your gun not being in a case where another cop might, same with going a little over the speed lmt ect, depends on the officer.

·
Registered
317 Posts
There are a lot of cops out there that are not that educated in firearms laws, I was stopped a couple years ago and told the same thing but I explained the law politely to the officer and after a while she called a superior and was told I was not breaking any laws (other than speeding which is why I was initially pulled over).

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
It is legal to be out of the case during hunting hours. It must be cased after hours or on non huntable days. You can not have a loaded firearm however and I have had them ask me to open the breech to check but never asked for the registration yet.

As to the bow sling issue....A few years ago we asked Christian Moore (Was head Enforcement for DNR) if it was legal. Basically they talked it around in Fredericton and what came back was that most of the guys considered them cased but the sling did not conform to legislation as they did not fully cover the bow. So if you use it as a case you take your chances.

Personally I don't think they could make the charge stick as there is no definition of a "case" in the F+W act. It only reads that the firearm
(a) is in a case which is properly fastened
(
is completely wrapped in a blanket or canvas
which is securely tied around the firearm; or
(c) is in the locked luggage compartment of a vehicle.
To me the bow sling which has fasteners would be legal as I consider it a case. You just have to be willing to go to court to prove it if you find the one enforcement officer who doesn't agree.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Saturday I was stopped by the RCMP and was told that my gun had to be cased or a trigger lock on it at all times when in the vehicle. This is while driving and hunting not in town. They said they could seize the gun and I could be charged under a criminal offence. Are They Full of it or what?
Nope They are full of that "stuff" that we put on poor land.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/PDF/storage-entreposage-eng.pdf

Download this PDF from the RCMP website no less and keep it in the Glove box of your Vehicles ..... Take a Yellow Hi-lighter and bold the only thing that they tell us to do for transporting non-restricted Firearms Unload Your Firearms ......... That's it! It doesn't matter if you were in town on Main Street, or driving down a dirt road out in the woods. If the officers gave you a ticket of any kind or a card with their contact info on it you may want to forward a copy of this document on to them.

Failing that, Contact the Codiac RCMP and recount your story to them. You were told by a Member that you were in violation of the criminal code and clearly you were not. Funny that they felt so strongly about this but let you drive away with your uncased unrestricted firearm, but at least they are consistent. Finally ask that they review the transport regs with their members (something that could be as simple as providing a copy of the same PDF that you were able to download from their webpage in about 3 seconds).

If they were somehow drawing their conclusion from the Fish and Wildlife act here in NB .......... Same answer even if you were in a "wildlife area" during the day.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The reference that Bradley has provided is correct, but only as it relates to the restrictions imposed by the Federal Acts & Regs concerning Firearms. There are also offences under various Provincial Acts and Regs. Relevant to this discussion and also a similar thread on this page, here are the NB Fish & Wildlife Act provisions:

42(1)Every person commits an offence who, not being authorized under subsection (2), (3), (3.1) or (4) and not being a conservation officer in the exercise of his authority under this Act,
(a)without a permit issued under subsection 86(1) takes, carries or has in his possession in or upon a resort of wildlife a firearm during the closed season for hunting;
(b)transports or has in his possession a firearm in a resort of wildlife during the night; or
(c)transports or has in his possession a firearm in a resort of wildlife on a weekly day of rest.
42(2)Where a member of a gun club is the holder of a permit issued under subsection 86(2) authorizing him to discharge a firearm on a weekly day of rest in an area specified by the Minister he may transport a firearm to and from the area specified by the Minister if the firearm
(a)is in a case which is properly fastened;
(b)is completely wrapped in a blanket or canvas which is securely tied around the firearm; or
(c)is in the locked luggage compartment of a vehicle.
42(3)Where a person is the holder of a proper licence, he may,
(a)two days before the opening and two days after the closing of the open season on wildlife; or
(b)on a weekly day of rest during the open season on wildlife,
transport a firearm to or from a camp which the person is to occupy or has occupied if the firearm
(c)is in a case which is properly fastened;
(d)is completely wrapped in a blanket or canvas which is securely tied around the firearm; or
(e)is in the locked luggage compartment of a vehicle.
42(3.1)Where a person is the holder of a proper licence, the person may transport or have in his or her possession a firearm in a resort of wildlife on a weekly day of rest during the period beginning on October 28 and ending on November 17, inclusive.
42(4)Where a person is the holder of a proper licence he may transport or have in his possession a firearm in a resort of wildlife during the night in the open season if the firearm
(a)is in a case which is properly fastened;
(b)is completely wrapped in a blanket or canvas which is securely tied around the firearm; or
(c)is in the locked luggage compartment of a vehicle while being transported.
1982, c.3, s.29; 1983, c.33, s.10; 1987, c.21, s.10; 2004, c.12, s.33; 2008, c.25, s.2.
43(1)Every person commits an offence who
(a)uses a silencer or any similar contrivance on a firearm or uses an automatic firearm while hunting wildlife;
(b)for the purpose of hunting moose, deer or bear, carries or uses a firearm designed to fire a rim-fire shell or cartridge;
(c)has in his possession a crossbow in a resort of wildlife;
(d)carries or has in his possession at any time a loaded firearm in or on any vehicle;
(d.1)herds wildlife by means of a vehicle; or
(e)uses an aircraft in connection with hunting, except as a means of transportation.

The entire Act is available here: http://www.gnb.ca/0062/acts/acts/f-14-1.htm

1 - 14 of 14 Posts