New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok boys and girls

Its time to start sending letters to our new elected officials stating that the current regulations regarding caliber size be removed. There is no reason why we need to be carrying a 22 caliber in the winter/spring instead of our standard deer rifle (308 - 3006 - 270 etc)
This would most likely get a few more people out hunting coyotes during the winter and spring months because they wouldn't have to invest more money into another setup for hunting coyotes.
The Gov't wants and better way to reduce the coyote population then this is a simple solution that costs them nothing and probably raises revenue due to increased sales of varmit licences.

This law has never made sense to me because I can shoot something at 300 yards just as dead with my 22-250 as I can with my 300 ultra mag and a rifle being fired is loud no matter the caliber...yes the larger calibers are a bit louder but its still a gun going off.

·
Banned
348 Posts
I don't disagree, stupid rule. I think they originally put the rule in place because they wanted to prevent deer hunters from harvesting more than one deer (a method of control) but it never worked.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It would be great to post the address (where we should send the letters)in this thread. I know I'd send one. A petition of sorts might accomplish more than a few letters.

·
Banned
223 Posts
I agree on changing the caliber rules....rediculous. I had this exact discussion with a few buddies the other day.

I can also see the hesitation from an enforcement point of view. Stop a suspected poacher on a back road with something bigger than .22 caliber during varmint season and they can now nail them with at least something. I am not saying it is right, but I am saying that is probably the thinking and the biggest issue to overcome. Anyone heard this logic used before by someone in enforcement? What is your take?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I agree that many voices are stronger than one! As suggested, what if a petition / petitions were posted on some of these topics that we continue to discuss year in and year out. Lowering the age of youth for hunter safety / licences-suggestion on different calibers from Jan-Sept. etc. With the amount of guests that view this site or are already members, I dont think it would take anytime at all to put together a long list of supporters. Nothing ventured, nothing gained IMHO.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts