New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
I thought I would post some pics of a couple bucks that were taken this year and a few that will hopefully be around next year. This first one was an 8 point in 2009. We only had him on camera a couple of times in 2009 and never did get a pic of him before he was shot this year. He stayed a main frame 8 but added a lot of mass and two more points.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
This buck was an 11 point in 2009. I had two close encounters with him that year. The first time my brother and I drove through a set of fields and on the way back out we spotted a bull moose in the woods of the edge of a field. We called to the moose and he didn't pay much attention and we drove on. We drove another 500 yards further and spotted a buck in the field ahead. The way the field was laid out we were going to be able to stalk pretty close for a shot. As we were stalking across the field another bull moose came out of the woods and started following us and occasionally grunting. Then the moose started coming at us pretty fast grunting every other step. When he got too close for comfort we had to give a shout to stop him up. Unfortunately all of this comotion scared off the buck.

The second enconter happened when we got the snow storm in 2009 in bow season. The buck was about to step out from behind a fir tree and would have been broad side at 20 yards from my ground blind. As he was about to step out his rack hit the fir bows and dropped a bunch of snow on his back. This spooked him and he jumped off in the opposite direction.

This year he was taken in rifle season. I have only seen one picture but it appears he was still a main frame 11 with some smaller points around the base. It also looked like his tine length on his left side was a little smaller but still a very nice buck.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
This is a buck that should be around next year if he made it through the last afternoon of hunting season and this winter. We had him on camera fairly steady for a month. My brother and I went into our ground blinds the last morning. As he was almost to his blind he heard a deer blow and there was a doe with a buck standing 15 to 20 yards away between him and his blind. He put his gun up pulled the trigger and only got a quiet clicking noise. He jacked out that round pulled the trigger and again only a clicking noise. The buck and doe only walked a little ways a away at this point. He only had two rounds in so he picked the first round up off of the ground and re-loaded. He stopped the buck up again and once more no bang. He then watched the buck and doe walk away over a hill. It turns out we had rain the day before and then it went to minus 8C overnight. The gun had frozen up overnight. Below is the buck he had in the crosshairs. It is the biggest bodied buck I have ever got on camera.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Very nice picture! I hope I can get some nice pictures on my trail camera. I have it set up near where some people had been putting the scarps of their deer and a moose for the bears. By the time I got my camera set up there, the snow had covered the last of the ribs of a moose, so I have only got a picture of a dog so far (not a coyote, a domestic dog). In the first pictures I didn't understand why the deer were digging, did you bury something? Whatever you did, I think I should try it! I would love to have some pictures like that! Also, nice picture of that Bobcat! If I was that big, I wouldn't fear a thing walkin' around the woods! Are bobcats pretty much the same as Lynx? I'm wondering because early in the bird season I spotted what I believed to be a very young (no larger than a house cat) Lynx. It had the same facial characteristics of that Bobcat, and it had black tipped ears. It's amazing, all the things that are out there! And that is one trophy moose!
-DirtRoadHunter

·
Registered
925 Posts
Great pics! Your right that last one is a hog.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Very nice picture! I hope I can get some nice pictures on my trail camera. I have it set up near where some people had been putting the scarps of their deer and a moose for the bears. By the time I got my camera set up there, the snow had covered the last of the ribs of a moose, so I have only got a picture of a dog so far (not a coyote, a domestic dog). In the first pictures I didn't understand why the deer were digging, did you bury something? Whatever you did, I think I should try it! I would love to have some pictures like that! Also, nice picture of that Bobcat! If I was that big, I wouldn't fear a thing walkin' around the woods! Are bobcats pretty much the same as Lynx? I'm wondering because early in the bird season I spotted what I believed to be a very young (no larger than a house cat) Lynx. It had the same facial characteristics of that Bobcat, and it had black tipped ears. It's amazing, all the things that are out there! And that is one trophy moose!
-DirtRoadHunter
The deer were digging because we have placed mineral licks there for a few years. The mineral licks dissolve into the soil and the deer were digging down to get them.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Great pics, CL!
Somehow I missed this post when the pics of the kitty were added.
Nice looking cat...great vid too!

41 - 51 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.