New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Personaly I've never seen a color phase bear, but I was just wondering if anyone has seen one here in n.b.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I've only seen one and that was in Carleton Co a number of years ago. The first year it come out with the sow as a cub and it was all chocolate. The next year as a yearling it was chocolate with a black cross across it's shoulders and down the middle of its back and had 4 black socks. If it was older I would have shot it but I couldn't bring myself to shoot a yearling even if the rug would have been something!

·
Registered
40 Posts
i have not seen any color bears in nb but i have friends who say they have i have seen some and i haveshot some monster blacks there tho if you go to toms shope spirit lake taxidermy he has a color phase bear i shotin AB done up in a life size mount its realy blond not a monster but nice color i hope to get a chocolate one this fall we have 5 or 6 diff color bears on a cupple of are bait sites just have to find the time to hunt them now cheers

·
Registered
409 Posts
First one I heard about locally/Maritimes was taken at Knoxford Lodge in NB.
I have seen a young one here in the valley and then this summer had an awesome experience in a spot we called..
"Beartopia" here in NS....
At one point we had 9 differant bears 4 of them color phase around us....in the open we could see.
1 of the best wildlife moments of my life!!!!!
Stinkin hot about 35C a bazillion skeeters but....it didn't matter,stayed til I had 3 SD cards FULL.
Went home the next day cleared the cards and drove 500km back and filled some more.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice pics KPR....that is one nice bear...this is my first year bear hunting,so a nice color phase would be a nice one for my first one

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Hey KPR...That one I was speaking about in Carleton Co would have been about 2km from Dales (Knoxford Lodge), we lived about 5km from there.

·
Registered
409 Posts
The next year as a yearling it was chocolate with a black cross across it's shoulders and down the middle of its back and had 4 black socks.
Same bear yep.
Wasn't very big when it was taken either.
Definately unique looking.
Too bad the guide wasn't on stand with the hunter,I'm sure he would have suggested passing on it also.

·
Registered
24 Posts
nice bears kpr
Now that i see these pics i have had bears the same color but just thought it was the way the sun was shining on them. What causes the white on the chest. I have a spring pic that a bear has a big white V on his chest. My buddy shot one this spring in the same spot it had two big whit dots on it's chest is this common.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Where I hunted in Penobsquis it seemed like almost 1/2 the bears had white "V" blaze. here in Belleisle I have only seen a couple so I guess it depends on where you live. I had one old sow who had a large "V" blaze and most of her cubs kept the trait although 1 in 3 didn't have it.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Che~V~rons tend to be more pronounced on smaller/younger bears and some fade away and some stay.
I have seen pics of some really nice ones on larger bears but not often.
Here are a few I have seen/captured.

A momma with two cubs

This is by far my favourite,it couldn't see me standing with the sunsetting behind me.
Just about walked right to me to avoid a few bigger bears.
When it realized it took off a bit and looked around in digust and at the other bears to see if they noticed what it had done...lol

We guess this guy is the younger one aboves father.
He is much bigger it has split and faded some.
Hard lookin old fella

·
Registered
925 Posts
Amazing pics with some big bears to boot!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts