New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

My rifle stock was drilled for a compass at one point but when I acquired it the compass had been removed and the hole filled with a wooden plug.

Does anyone know where I could find one of these old compasses or anyone who could put one in the stock for me?

Thanks

-FR

·
Registered
76 Posts
Would one of the small ball compass fit the hole? how big and how deep is the hole?
No more than the size of your pinky fingernail. I'd say about a centimeter deep. Looks alomst the same as the holes drilled for gun straps, just a bit rounder.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Any chance you could post a pic? I was talking about your question to a gunsmith and he showed me a pic of an old air rifle that he had repaired with a compass in it. It looked bigger than what you describe .... Maybe the size of a quarter, but depending on location it maybe wouldn't be workable.

·
Registered
289 Posts
My rifle also has a compass in the stock. All I know is its a 30.06. There are no other markings on the gun saying manufacturer and model. The compass is broken but is still attached. I would like to replace it. See attached photo.

http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s249/MOPAR_1/Rifle/
That is an interesting modification for sure... Great idea, certainly a guy'd never forget his compass.

Take a full length pic and someone here can likely help identify the make and model for ya.

Cheers

·
Registered
19 Posts
That is an interesting modification for sure... Great idea, certainly a guy'd never forget his compass.

Take a full length pic and someone here can likely help identify the make and model for ya.

Cheers
I am pretty sure this is no modification. The compass is mounted in the plastic cap. I was told this gun is an old Springfield from WW2 or just after. It also has the hinged butt plate door for the cleaning kit. Pretty heavy gun but very accurate.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gun is a 30-06 Springfield. It is an older rifle. I know it is drilled for one, I have seen the compasses in the stocks before, about the size of a dime, no N,E,S,W, just a single arrow pointing north. They used to do them in older guns quite often (more commonly than now anyway) and the alloy of the rifle doesn't impact accuracy of the compass. It's a shame the previous owner had the compass removed

·
Registered
92 Posts
I was bored and going through some old threads and came across this one. Does anyone else think this is a horrible idea? A compass mounted right beside a big chunk of steel?
You might find that your gun barrel always seems to be pointing south, regardless of which way you turn...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts