New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just looking at the catagories on this site and notice there has been zero threads ot discussion until this one.

So I think all regular users of this forum can agree that a majority think NB forests and wildlife are getting the raw deal in terms of conservation and management. I'm sure many on this site have good ideas on things that can be done to improve the situation but feel that big business and government will not listen to what the people of the province want. Many times we have heard of reports, studies and recommendation made to the government only to see them ingnored or partially carried thru. This makes most people feel its pointless to try and change things. We must not think that way! It maybe hard but if its something we believe in then its worth trying.

Where do we go from here? I don't think I have an answere for that. But there must be several organization bevoted to these same changes. Sometimes I wonder if these organizations have to small a voice to be heard. Maybe they don't have the leadership that is willing to make their voice louder. Maybe a new and louder organization needs to be created. I firmally beleive that with a loud and strong enough voice the people can make government listen and make change. Civil and womans right issues and many other things have been changed over the past 100 years with a loud voice of change. It would be a tough road to change things. Jobs maybe lost or created, sacrifies will have to be made by all. But wouldn't it be worth it? I think so.

Anyways this is just a thought and maybe it will get some ideas flowing and this catagory active.

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
Great initiative, I'll contribute to this thread when I get some more time.

Just to start on a positive note, I was hunting on a freehold recently and was happily surprised at the forestry practices in hardwood stands, unlike other massacres I have witnessed first hand on privately leased tract of NB Land.

Mature trees were selectively cut, leaving a mix of older bigger trees, and also smaller but relatively mature trees in yellow birch, maple and beech, as well as oak. I'd say 10% mature trees of each species were left to sir the re-gen, and 8 to 14 inches trees were left to grow.

The ridge I was in had evidence of selective logging some 20-30 years back, with 2ft mossy stumps left here and there. Regrowth florishes in these canopied areas, and choke out invasive species to that stand (that is anything other than hardwood).

I just think this is a great way of preserving our hardwood stands, we don't have that many left.

Had some huge stand up North that were levelled in the 80s...now we've got plantations and switchgrass...

·
Registered
925 Posts
So they want to speed up the unloading at the mills so the trucks can deliver more. Well if the woods market has slowed down why do they need more product?

·
Registered
26 Posts
we need a loud voice to stop pesticide use by forestry companies. banning its use would be a major plus for consevation efforts

·
Banned
348 Posts
we need a loud voice to stop pesticide use by forestry companies. banning its use would be a major plus for consevation efforts
x1000...Even our deer bioologist agrees. He wrote a report on the effects spraying is having on our herd. Problem is DNR and government officials are turning a blind eye.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts