New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well had a pretty good night tongiht, walked into my ground blind and spooked 3-4 deer that where already in the apples. YES APPLES I BAIT AND AM PROUND OF IT.. So i hurried and dumped another bag, Then into the blind i go. Not 15 minutes pass and i see some movement. Out steps a nice litle 8 pointer, He starts working his way to the bait Then i see some more movement, YES i said its gotta be the big boy cuz the two have been hanging out. NOPE frign lilte spike horn yearling comes on the tear right passed the 8 point to the apples. Soon enugh the 8 pointer makes his way in, 10 minutes later he turns broadside, I draw back pick my spot, And then let back down. To early yet i said, He never had a clue I was there, He walked off unphased, Fun night but still no bloody arrow.

·
Registered
169 Posts
You do not have to kill to have success, you know you owned him,sometimes the hardest thing is holding on to that tag untill the big boy comes to play this game.An apple a day keeps doctor away but brings butcher in to play.

G

·
What a great feeling...knowing you fooled 'em. Nice job holding off, hopefully it doesn;t bite you in the rear at the end of the season...I think alot of us have had that happen at some point in our hunting careers. Still comforting the rest of the year knowing you could have putone in the freezer and chose not too. Sign of passing through stages as a hunter I think. I've passed on a few small bucks this year as well (spike, forks, and a 5 point), always nice to let them walk with hopes they'll make it through the season and be next years excitement.

Hoping to fill my doe tag this weekend at a friends property, literally polluted with deer, a road hazard to everyone that lives in the area and murder on the gardens and flowers/shrubs. Was holding out for a real bruiser I thought I had pegged down in September, but he and the weather and work schedule hasn't cooperated last week and this week...but mostly just him and me can't seem to line up, cant blame the weather and work LOL.

Never shot a doe before, figured this was the year I wanted to do it. DNR graciously gave me a doe tag for an overpopulated area...so by golly I think I'll use it and relax the rest of the fall, hunt birds with the young fella, work on next years firewood, and stay in my campbunk on a Saturday/Sunday AM while the rest of the gang rises early to hit the stands in the frigid cold....should be nice cat-calling from the comfort of my oversized, overstuffed sleeping bag that is close to the woodstove

Well done on fooling a few and holding off.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Well had a pretty good night tongiht, walked into my ground blind and spooked 3-4 deer that where already in the apples. YES APPLES I BAIT AND AM PROUND OF IT.. So i hurried and dumped another bag, Then into the blind i go. Not 15 minutes pass and i see some movement. Out steps a nice litle 8 pointer, He starts working his way to the bait Then i see some more movement, YES i said its gotta be the big boy cuz the two have been hanging out. NOPE frign lilte spike horn yearling comes on the tear right passed the 8 point to the apples. Soon enugh the 8 pointer makes his way in, 10 minutes later he turns broadside, I draw back pick my spot, And then let back down. To early yet i said, He never had a clue I was there, He walked off unphased, Fun night but still no bloody arrow.
Thats what its all about.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Looks like you had an exciting evening for sure! Keep the faith team mate! I was getting discouraged when the deer didn't seem to be cleaning up my apples much. And I Really wanted to get a deer in bow season. Because I would have had to move my stand come Monday. The yearling six point that I was about to shoot on Tuesday morning when I took the bigger 8 point. Also came in Monday morning with 5 does. I didn't get a chance to draw on him then. And as well had 2 spikes (one only had one antler) with 3 does that same morning too( wasn't going to shoot them ). It is hard sometimes to make decisions on taking a certain deer based on a lot of reasons. Mainly the amount of time left to hunt. I love to get a shot at a buck, after waiting all year for the opportunity to use my gear. But I also like the chance at a big guy every now and then. But the main thing to me is I don't like to shoot yearlings. I have in the past. But all I want is something with a little bit more meat for my tag value! My buck this fall filled that bill nicely! Good Luck to you this morning(if your hunting that is)Nbduckhunter!

·
Registered
925 Posts
Won't be lomg and you'll be dropping a dandy.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
It is definitely a great feeling to know you fooled him, got him in range for a good shot and might have been able to take him home if you had wanted and then let down and watch him walk. Now hopefully the next one will be bigger!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts