New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Having read the Natural Resources Minister's letter in our 2010 Hunting book it came to mind that he obviously nor his team had been in our lush forests before he actualy pencil wipped his name on that piece of paper. On that note knowing the lack of resourses and interest that our sport has from our goverment ,I thought I would help with the next publication for 2011 hunting book

"Hunting and Trapping are not an important part of our culture and economy here in New - Brunswick but jobs and silviculture are.With our depleted forests and lack of wildlife,our province is a lack lusture destination for thousands of frustrated hunters and trappers every year.The culture of hunting and trapping in this province as not been maintained by our politicians / lumber compagnies and is at a all time low. the state of these sports can bring people to psychotic behaviours but it is essential that we the hunters pass along our frustrations to our indefferent politiciens.It is a must that the hunters and trappers of today / tomorrow understand the lack of respect for wildlife , rules and regulations and above all the mismanagement of Crown lands in this province being shown by our lack of goverment.
We would like to thank ALL hunters for their continual purchases of licenses and contributions to help keep our annual grants and studies to our fishing and others funded groups .BIG THANK YOU. It helps keep a positive image of our sports.With a 10% success rate in our deer hunting , we wish you the best of luck and a enjoyable experience."

Happy Hunting and thanks for your contibutions!

Yours Truly

·
Registered
92 Posts
Best reading I had for a long time but you miss the part where the crown land is also used by farmers and not talking about potatoes either. Dam shame the government lets them use the land so freely. I could use some of that land too for growing tomatoes and peppers which would be good to eat with a deer steak if there was ever a deer left to be harvested.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Best reading I had for a long time but you miss the part where the crown land is also used by farmers and not talking about potatoes either. Dam shame the government lets them use the land so freely. I could use some of that land too for growing tomatoes and peppers which would be good to eat with a deer steak if there was ever a deer left to be harvested.
What farmers, are you talking forestry plantations or actual cranberry and blueberry farmers?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Wow - very pessemistic and depressing - nobody's putting a gun to your head and making you buy a license, if it is that terrible here, why do you bother? If its so bad here, why do I enjoy myself here hunting every year, without fail. If you've ever had the fortune to travel to the United States to hunt (particularly the northeast) where land to hunt on is a luxury some hunters can't afford, you would consider yourself lucky to have access to the amount of land to hunt that we do. It may not be managed to suit everyone, but it is available, and there are animals there to be harvested for those who want to get off their ass and hunt instead of complain.

·
Registered
612 Posts
This coming from a guy that hunts 90% on private land !!!!

quote Tobiquer on Crown vs Private land

I am fortunate enough to have access to some private land to hunt. This is where I do my bowhunting, and some rifle hunting. I also do a bit of rifle hunting on crown land, near my camp (which is on a crown lease), and I actually killed my buck on crown this year. In my area, however, there is no comparison to hunting private land vs. crown. Crown land has more hunters, lower deer densities, and much tougher hunting. Most of the private land, which runs up and down the river valley here has much higher deer densities, however I find the buck to doe ratios to be out of whack in most of these places, with does out numbering bucks by 10 to 1 or more.

Overall I would say I'm doing about 90% of my deer hunting on private land, 10% on crown.

Congratulations on your Spike

·
Registered
627 Posts
Bearhunter, it's that time of year. Not much to do between deer season and icefishing. There is a lot of truth to what Critter wrote. Crown land has always been mismanaged and always will be. As for managing the deer herd in this province, there isn't anything being done. In my opinion, Crown Land is being managed, solely, for the forest industry with no regard for anything else. Moose seem to be the only animal that benefits from the forest industry and those numbers will drop due to varying causes. As Tobiquer stated, nobody's forcing you to buy a license but the desire to be hunting overrides common sense and we continue to pay for tags that we may get lucky and fill. Kind of like playing the lottery. I hunted private land this year and saw a few deer, many more than I saw last year on Crown Land. The private land I hunted has a problem with trespassers and poaching but the landowner is addressing both of those issues. He's also open to ways to improve the property for deer. He has 1100 acres and only takes his firewood off it. I'm fairly certain he's not going to spend any money on the property but he's open to me doing what I want on a small portion of the property. Sometimes all it takes is to have respect for other peoples property to gain access.

·
Registered
925 Posts
lol......that message should work.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Thanks for the congrats "critter" - I had a chunk of that "spike"for supper last night and man it was tasty!! I've spent my fair share of time on crown land, my hunting camp sits on a crown lease on a beautiful chunk of crown. Stick to my original statement though - it gets tiring listening to everyone complaining about the sad state of hunting in New Brunswick ALL THE TIME here. As I said before, if you don't like it, don't give the government the satsifaction of taking your money, you could stay home, and some other hunter could have more crown land to himself!

·
Registered
612 Posts
Your more than welcome, hope you didn't get an indigestion, your probably right it must have been very tender as it probably didn't live long enough to acquire any kind of muscle fiber.I prefer bologna over spike quite frankly , not any kind of bologna,Maple Leaf cut at a 1/4 inch thick slowly fried in a pan to perfection accompanied by mashed potatoes. wow!! getting hungry writing about it !!. I also ear that fawn taste even better you may want to look into it next year before you let your tag go to waste.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts