New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new coyote hunter, and I really need some tips. I have a stand above where there has been coyote movement and there are some moose bones that coyotes cleaned off under the snow, but I can't seem to call any dogs in. I'm hunting in a thinly wooded area at the end of a dirt road near a highway, is that a good or bad spot? Any other suggestions would help too!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I'm a new coyote hunter, and I really need some tips. I have a stand above where there has been coyote movement and there are some moose bones that coyotes cleaned off under the snow, but I can't seem to call any dogs in. I'm hunting in a thinly wooded area at the end of a dirt road near a highway, is that a good or bad spot? Any other suggestions would help too!
Just Dont Be Nervous!!

·
Registered
531 Posts
Patience is a must to coyote hunting!!
They are such a sly animal, but so much fun to hunt! I've hunted for days on end and haven't had one come out..then when your patience is starting to wear thin one trots in!! Try to limit your movement. I've had the suckers come to a call and not been ready for them. As soon as they see ya...they're gone!

I haven't had much time to dedicate to coyote hunting since deer season ended, but hope to get back at it soon. One afternoon when heading back to my truck for lunch I saw one skipping across a choppin...didn't seem to have a care in the world....he certainly didn't have a care once he got a taste of my .30-06! haha

All it takes is getting that first kill under your belt to be addicted to coyote hunting! lol

Try a few different locations. I normally will only sit in one spot for no more than an hour, then move on if I haven't seen/heard anything.

·
Registered
141 Posts
probably not a good spot because the coyotes are coming out at night when there is less traffic, just my opinion, you want to become a coyote hunter, be prepared to get frustrated, unless your one of these guys that seem to be lucky at every thing they do. Most experienced coyote hunter on this site and elsewhere will tell you that they average one dead coyote every 30 to 40 stances, seems like a lot but that's about right,when I first decided that I was going coyote hunting, I started to educate myself on them, I read a lot of stuff and still do and I watched a lot of videos, I probably bought a dozen of them over the years and I still buy the new ones coming out, I figure the more info I can absorb the better my odds are. If I can suggest one video, I'd say get the one from Primos " Mastering the art Predator pak " by Randy Anderson, I check on Cabelas web site, it sells for24.99, you get one great teaching video on different situations and set ups plus you get two mouth calls with it, by one of the masters on coyote hunting, probably the best 25 dollars you'll ever spend on coyotes. Your gonna make mistakes when you start out , that's ok as long as you learn from them, don't get discourage keep at it, 0nce you get one there's no going back, you'll be hooked like the rest of us, you'll know what I mean then. By the way , that video I watched it at least 10 times, trying to get that call just right. Let us know how you make out, good luck. Ron.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
probably not a good spot because the coyotes are coming out at night when there is less traffic, just my opinion, you want to become a coyote hunter, be prepared to get frustrated, unless your one of these guys that seem to be lucky at every thing they do. Most experienced coyote hunter on this site and elsewhere will tell you that they average one dead coyote every 30 to 40 stances, seems like a lot but that's about right,when I first decided that I was going coyote hunting, I started to educate myself on them, I read a lot of stuff and still do and I watched a lot of videos, I probably bought a dozen of them over the years and I still buy the new ones coming out, I figure the more info I can absorb the better my odds are. If I can suggest one video, I'd say get the one from Primos " Mastering the art Predator pak " by Randy Anderson, I check on Cabelas web site, it sells for24.99, you get one great teaching video on different situations and set ups plus you get two mouth calls with it, by one of the masters on coyote hunting, probably the best 25 dollars you'll ever spend on coyotes. Your gonna make mistakes when you start out , that's ok as long as you learn from them, don't get discourage keep at it, 0nce you get one there's no going back, you'll be hooked like the rest of us, you'll know what I mean then. By the way , that video I watched it at least 10 times, trying to get that call just right. Let us know how you make out, good luck. Ron.
I think I have that video, a guy at the sporting store recommended it to me. Was it the video that came with the "Lil' Dog" Calls?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts