New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Have a read. http://www.gnb.ca/0078/publications/Coyotes-e.pdf

I didn't realize that there are between 10,000 to 15,000 yotes. Combined with the bear population, that's a lot of predators.

If we want to convince hunters (me included) to trap yotes, we need to make it easier (no formal course - just a hands on 2 hour demo for yote trapping, etc)
Trust me you would want a formal course and have a veteran trapper show you some in's and out's to coyotes....They are by far the SMARTEST critter in our woods.

Add a bounty to the pelt to help out trappers. Myself, I never set a trap or snare this year due to low pelt prices. Sucks for the deer but I have to make money or at least break even doing it. Gas prices around $4 a gallon and deep snow kept alot of traps/snares in the furshed for alot of trappers. Bounties will not exterminate the coyote but it will keep trappers out there to keep the population in check. I think (THINK) trappers usually get around 3000 coyotes a year.

·
Registered
329 Posts
The official bear population is somewhere around 16,000 which is where it has been for years and years.

I don't think they have any idea how many bears or coyotes we have.

Most years we sell between to 1500 to 2000 coyotes - total kill would be higher counting mangy ones, hunted etc

1 - 3 of 3 Posts