New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching a show the other day on tv ,think it was mojjo outdours . they are big predator hunting fans and were actualy concerned about not over harvesting coyotes to be able to maintain the populations (gee I feel for them,not)anyway they did say that there were studies that showed that you could remove 75% every year and the population would rebound the next year to normal levels .....kind of nuts to think how fast they can keep up to that kind of pressure no wonder the population seems to be unafected by the few coyote hunters & trappers .

·
Registered
495 Posts
You got it. The states found out years ago just how ineffective bounties work due to their ability to breed like rabbits

·
Registered
83 Posts
It totally amazes me how many there are around year in year out after all I have killed over the years.

Everyone says killing them will never have an effect on the population.

I say dead female yotes can't reproduce.

I only more people would go after em.

Totally blows me away when a deer hunter says he saw one out deer hunting.I ask if he shot it and hunter will say "I didn't want to scare the deer away" and I say did you see any deer? and the hunter says NO. Where do these people come from??????

·
Registered
50 Posts
Maybe we could spray for them ? Add it into the Irvin program ??????????????????????
From what I heard, Irving was the one who brought coyote's in the region to control the rabbits from eating there trees. Maybe they should spray for them. I know one thing, I'm 36 years old and when I was a teen we would rabbit hunt and you were garantied one if not two or three rabbits when you went out for a hunt. Today I whent out in the woods to get my camera's, and ended up going to tree diferent places(in the woods all within 5 km from each other) and honestly seen "2" rabbit tracks. Was in the area were deer are yarding and actualy seen a deer. Oh, and I saw about 10+ coyote tracks(and this was all within 1-2km from houses). If Irving did bring in the coyote's to control the rabbits, he accomplished that...............

·
utopiahunter
1,446 Posts
if there population did come back like that at least the ones left would be inmature and have a harder time catching deer next winter.also there population would be low when fawning season is here..my opinion kill as many as you can i am but not doing a very good job lol. irving brought them in lololololololo...

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From what I heard, Irving was the one who brought coyote's in the region to control the rabbits from eating there trees. Maybe they should spray for them. I know one thing, I'm 36 years old and when I was a teen we would rabbit hunt and you were garantied one if not two or three rabbits when you went out for a hunt. Today I whent out in the woods to get my camera's, and ended up going to tree diferent places(in the woods all within 5 km from each other) and honestly seen "2" rabbit tracks. Was in the area were deer are yarding and actualy seen a deer. Oh, and I saw about 10+ coyote tracks(and this was all within 1-2km from houses). If Irving did bring in the coyote's to control the rabbits, he accomplished that...............
I know Irving certainly can take the credit for a lot of things in NB both positive and negative but I don't think we can give them the credit for that one . Kind of funny though , nver heard that one before .

·
Registered
571 Posts
I agree it is the 3 to 5 year old coyote dogs that train the rest to become successful hunters. Just as we learn every year when we are in the woods and pass on to younger hunter to be a better hunter these coyotes do the same a pack with the older coyotes out of it have a hard time to make it through the winter but with experience hunters in the pack they are a killing machine especially when the snow is getting to the depth it at now.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I used to do nuisance coyote work for a sheep farmer in Carleton Co. Every August I'd get a call. The female would teaching the pups how to kill and they would hit the sheep. Not very pretty. I'd usually pick up the male and some pups next time they came back but never that Freakin' female. After I picked up a few on their next round she wouldn't come back again that year and it was wait till the next year. The third year she didn't come back and he didn't have any more problems. Someone must have got lucky and nailed her or maybe she got hit by a car, either way the farmer was happy.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I don't think you have to worry much about bobcats. They studied that a few years back here in NB and only the big tom bobcats were capable of killing adeer. They looked in the guts of a few hundred cats to figure it out. During the study they did when they collared fawns, only one fawn of the 53 they collared was killed by a bobcat.

Never kill coyotes to control coyotes, you do it to lessen predation...just as OF says.

·
Registered
96 Posts
if there population did come back like that at least the ones left would be inmature and have a harder time catching deer next winter.also there population would be low when fawning season is here..my opinion kill as many as you can i am but not doing a very good job lol. irving brought them in lololololololo...
Your right on that, immature yote kill less deer.

G

·
Interesting thread....

My grandfather had problems with yotes and his sheep for two years. One morning my cousin shot one of the four coyotes in the group, and the others never came back. They learn some quick.

Years ago NBDNR gave a presentation to the local Fish & Game about coyote numbers and predation on deer. Basically said that you can't expect to knock their long term population down by hunting, bounties, etc. They brought up all the things we all know about population recovery -- litter size, breeding, range size, etc. Also mentioned was how they can shift their diet as opportunities (prey populations) change -- they can gain weight by licking up the dust in a corner of a room. Eventually one fella pointed out that if you kill one in the fall, sure there might be another one to take his place the next year, but the dead one won't be eating deer all winter. You couldn't get that idea through Mr. DNR's head. Not so smart him.

That's a good one by the way, about the Irvings bringing them in... I like that. Does anybody really believe this?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Some of those same DNR guys said for years there was no proof that coyotes preyed on deer. They now after a lot of years will publicly admit that they do indeed eat deer.

I am not saying they are behind the times.....????..... but....WTF

From 20 years of dispatching/watching /observing coyotes some things I have learned, one of which is dead coyotes cannot eat or breed.

The more that are killed leaves more alternative food sources available other than deer.

At this point in time re the NB deer herd.... there is little can be done about the condition of deer winter habitat,it will take years to rejuvenate and enhance what is left.

The single most effective tool in my mind is to reduce the predation of the herd. Hunt coyotes hard and often. The hunters got to get organized and be effective.

G

·
I'm trying to do my part, but the yotes have been better than me. Calling a few in, but still missing....
Called a fox in last week to 8 yds. Very cool to see. Minus 13 degrees and windy - he was all fluffed up and in great shape. Nice looking fox.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts