New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here it is Monday morning; the first day of the March break. I was looking forward to getting up, packing the truck up and heading out for a coyote hunt - then I saw the bloody rain outside... Needless to say, I did not head out for my hunt.

I find myself wondering though, would the yotes still be out and about in the rain? I know that they will bed down in snowstorms, but I really don't know if they are bothered by the rain or high winds. Can anyone with a bit more knowledge than me on this topic chime in and give their thoughts here? Is it worth heading out in the rain or would I be wasting my time? (Well; no time in the woods is wasted, but you know what I mean).

·
Registered
242 Posts
not sure but they were at my bait some time this morning. but i did notice after snow storm they were not around till the grommer went.then they were every where.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, if the rain lets up a bit, I'm gonna head out this evening and see how things go. Can't shoot 'em if I'm not out lookin'!

·
utopiahunter
1,446 Posts
I was out this mourning wounded one he came to the call.I was suprised anyway long story short i tracked him 3-4 hundered yards through the woods got 2 more shots of while he tried to cross a brook he was leaking real bad the whole time followed for anouther two three hundered yards and had to give up.it was raining to hard and im spleany.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was out this mourning wounded one he came to the call.I was suprised anyway long story short i tracked him 3-4 hundered yards through the woods got 2 more shots of while he tried to cross a brook he was leaking real bad the whole time followed for anouther two three hundered yards and had to give up.it was raining to hard and im spleany.
Where are you located? Was it raining where you are this morning? I'm just trying to get info on dogs being out or not in the rain. What call were you using? I didn't get a chance to get out this evening, but I'm heading out for sure in the morning; hopefully its not pouring rain...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Was one at my bait around noon today in the pouring rain.

My experience watching them come and go my bait for the last 20 years is , you never know when you are going to see them. First light and dusk they are more active, other than that anytime.

This time of year a lot depends on food availability, how often they get something to eat, how hungry they are. I have seen them in a raging snow storm come to bait.

They seem to me to have a 26-28 hour internal clock, or a 18-20 hour clock. Not a 24 hour one. Have seen certain color phase individuals exhibit this behavior coming to my baits.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Was one at my bait around noon today in the pouring rain.

My experience watching them come and go my bait for the last 20 years is , you never know when you are going to see them. First light and dusk they are more active, other than that anytime.

This time of year a lot depends on food availability, how often they get something to eat, how hungry they are. I have seen them in a raging snow storm come to bait.

They seem to me to have a 26-28 hour internal clock, or a 18-20 hour clock. Not a 24 hour one. Have seen certain color phase individuals exhibit this behavior coming to my baits.
20 years! Sounds like you've got some time invested into hunting coyotes. I appreciate you sharing some of your knowledge. Let me know if you ever want company on a hunt, I'll supply the ammo and vehicle; hell I'll even buy the post hunt beers!

Thank you for the advice, it's great to have help from those who have the experience.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts