New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few years back I needed some break pads for my truck, my regular mechanic could not get me in that day so I went to another place in Riverview. They told me they could take me right away, so I said giv'er. The young lad who was going to do the job looked like he was fresh out of highschool, when he put the truck on the lift there was lound screeching of metal on metal. The guy behind the counter (manager I assume) went running out and had to show him how to do it. Then a little while latter the manager guy came to me and said my break discs are shot and need to be replaced, I had already looked at them when I was checking out the break pads and I knew there was nothing wrong with them. I played stupid and asked how how severe it was with a worried look on my face, I told him I don't have the money this week, would it be ok until the following week??? He said I might get a couple weeks out of it before the new break pads are toast. About a month later I went to my mechanic for an oil change and was telling them what happened. They checked it out and said there is nothing wrong and the break pads are doing fine, that was about three years ago and I still have the same pair of break pads on there!! Three years ago my truck would have been three years old.
Anyway, the other day I thought I would get a head start on winter tires, the ones on the front needed to be changed so I was going to pick them up and have my mechanic put them on as I had to bring the truck in for my safty anyway. I called a bunch of places but no one had my size, they would have to order them. So, I called this place thinking it can't hurt to just buy the tires from them. They did not have my size in Riverview but said it is showing the shop in Moncton does. So I drove into Moncton to the shop and yes they did have my size, I said great! The woman at the counter made me up a receipt and it was about $90 more than the tires! I said I only want the two tires, I will have my mechanic put them on, she said "Pfft we don't sell tires over the counter" LOL I didn't know this was a bar. To make a long story short I called a few more placed and found one who had my size of tires. I told them what happened and said I just want the tires, they said no problem, then said they would put them on for free because I purchased them there. So, for the SAME pair of 2 tires they took the tires of the back, put them on the front, put the new tires on the back after they studded them for me, balanced them and the whole 9 yards, and only charged me for the two tires and the studs. The other place was going to charge me for the tires, changing each tire, balancing them, studs ect. I called the other place back and told then what the other place did and it saved me about $60 for the same tires as they changed and balanced all four of free!
Do idiots like this not know that word gets around? I work with about 600 people, plus I have Facebook with half of Moncton on it lol... all I wanted was a pair of tires
I understand the other place did not have to switch, balance, and put the tires on for free, most places would not do this, but I have never went anywhere to buy a pair of tires and be told they will not sell them to me unless they can put them on... what if I was buying ahead and didn't plan on putting them on until mid November? Idiots

·
Registered
431 Posts
my mother-in-law came down for a visit and told me she was quoted $1200+ to fix her van incuding new struts and shocks on back to fix a rattling noise.
I took it to a mechanic I use in sussex and for $300 including tax everything was done including the loose window vent bracket in the back!!!!

My sister was visiting from the states and her van lit up with warning lights and the dealership for the van quoted her $1000+ and maybe a catylitic(sp) converter,
called the mechanic in Sussex and he put on a new O2 sensor and less than 200 she's out the door.

I hear ya Winchester stick with the people you can trust

·
Registered
495 Posts
I prefer to do my own work, and I only get someone to do it for me when its crap work that I don't want to do, or don't have the specialty tools to do it myself. Brakes are not overly difficult to do yourself with a few basic hand tools, and its a heck of a lot cheaper too. Like Takin'Time said, keep a mechanic you can trust. They are far and few between.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I feel your pain. Riverview muffler in riverview told my mother that her blinkers were blinking to slow to pass safety. I took a look at them and they seemed the same as every other blinker. I took her car down and asked the manager what the rate of blink per hour was suppose to be.lol I also asked how they timed the blink.
What a joke.
I also had new pads put on my truck at canadain tire a month later had a unrelated problem. The mechcanic fixed it and told me I should have my pads replaced. I told him to leave them then took the truck to another shop. Pads were still like new. Go fiqure. He told me they only had to be the thickness of a dime to pass safety.

·
Registered
495 Posts
The trouble with mechanics on commission is that you get a lot of fabricated issues that need fixing.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I would definately support a 3 day season on crooked mechanics possibly by a draw system or lottery
, too many bad experiances to list over the years, if I can fix it myself I will.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would definately support a 3 day season on crooked mechanics possibly by a draw system or lottery
LOL!

I don't get it... I always go to Ralf Mackay's in Riverview, they have so many regulars that you have to book sometimes a week in advance just to get an oil change, but if it is something that can't wait they will do everything they can to get you asap. I know the reason there are so many regulars is because they are honest and word gets around. The other place, I call Wonder autocrap, always looks empty, even more so with the one in Moncton. I understand they would want to force me to let them charge me retarded amount of $ to put on the tires I am buying from them, they must be ready to go bankrupt by the looks of their empty parking lot, but maybe if they treated their customers with respect and did not try to suck their wallets dry when a customer walks in the door they might have a little more business. The sad part is big places like Canadian crapy tire screws people every day, but alot of people think that because its a well known place they would never do that, I would sell my truck and start driving a bicycle before I would ever take my truck to Canadian crappytire.

·
Registered
220 Posts
LOL!

I don't get it... I always go to Ralf Mackay's in Riverview, they have so many regulars that you have to book sometimes a week in advance just to get an oil change, but if it is something that can't wait they will do everything they can to get you asap. I know the reason there are so many regulars is because they are honest and word gets around. The other place, I call Wonder autocrap, always looks empty, even more so with the one in Moncton. I understand they would want to force me to let them charge me retarded amount of $ to put on the tires I am buying from them, they must be ready to go bankrupt by the looks of their empty parking lot, but maybe if they treated their customers with respect and did not try to suck their wallets dry when a customer walks in the door they might have a little more business. The sad part is big places like Canadian crapy tire screws people every day, but alot of people think that because its a well known place they would never do that, I would sell my truck and start driving a bicycle before I would ever take my truck to Canadian crappytire.
I agree with Ralf mackay. Very honest, good living people.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Canadian tire really pisses me off.

If a shop has the gall to charge me $10.00 for a squirt of oil so they can loosen a bolt... or a swirl of rube-glide to get a tire bead over a rim... My vehicle will never cross their door. The way I see it, "shop supplies" are a cost of doing business, they help the mechanic complete the job. Its not like I need a whole can of WD-40 or a full gallon of bead lubricant.

It would be as bad as me telling someone oh, and that will be $5.00 for the electricity your computer used while I was fixing it.

I wonder if I could counter their shop supplies with ok, well you used $10.00 worth of gas, and factor in depreciation value of the milage you put on from the parking lot to the hoist.. ummm.. yeah so you owe me... $130.00

·
Registered
634 Posts
The guy at auto surgeon in Moncton told me I needed a new battery back in July. Showed me a bullshit printout of a test. Funny thing it hasn't failed me yet and we are getting some pretty cold weather

·
Registered
66 Posts
Was told I needed to replace both rocker panels on my car as they were completely gone with no trace of them ever being there, $500. I went to a older fella recommended by a friend and he said for the most part they were as solid as could be, just a hole here and there that needed to be patched. Never again will my car go back to that shop.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts