New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Crossbow instruction
Who would you prefer to see teaching the crossbow course in NB?
Bow instructors1130.56%
Rifle instructors12.78%
Online/self taught course925.00%
Crossbow insrtuctors1541.67%

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I think you need another category KPR. I have a bit of a problem with it being an online course, because then it's just a tax grab like the Boating Safety course, where they couldn't care less if you're safe in your boat, as long as they get their 30 bucks. And I don't think it fits into either of the other categories. I don't care if the person teaching the course is a Bow Instructor or not, as long as taking Bow Hunter safety isn't required to shoot a crossbow that won't be allowed to hunt in Archery Season. I think you need a "Crossbow Instructor".

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Added and your opinion duly noted.
The poll has nothing to do with where or when they are used,it has everything to do with safety of using one properly and responsibly though.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
If a person needs a course to use cross bow better tell them to buy a rifle they are idiot proof.
But wait... don't we still require a course to use a rifle?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Crossbow instructors??Is that a joke or what?Do tell,just where are we supposed to find all these seasoned or even a wee bit experienced xbow hunters that would pretend to be qualified to teach me anything?If I wanted to learn how to weld,I'd go to a journeyman welder,not to somebody who's only read about it in a book once.

I vote for qualified bow instructors and the current bow course be ammended to include xbows.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Crossbow instructors??Is that a joke or what?Do tell,just where are we supposed to find all these seasoned or even a wee bit experienced xbow hunters that would pretend to be qualified to teach me anything?If I wanted to learn how to weld,I'd go to a journeyman welder,not to somebody who's only read about it in a book once.

I vote for qualified bow instructors and the current bow course be ammended to include xbows.
Wow, you're really running around things here. You think the current Bow Course could be amended to include Crossbows and immediately all Bow Instructors would magically be seasoned and "even a wee bit experienced" with Crossbows and safety, but you don't think they could handle teaching a separate course? Give me a break. Or perhaps I'm wrong. Is there a rule in the DNR Instructors handbook that says the same person can't teach two different classes? Can someone teach Firearm Safety/Hunter Education Courses this week and then next Sunday teach the Bow Hunting Safety Course? I would have thought that's fine.

You spent so many keystrokes talking about how Crossbows and Compound bows are different in another thread... and now you want to group them together?

·
Registered
86 Posts
You spent so many keystrokes talking about how Crossbows and Compound bows are different in another thread... and now you want to group them together?
Yes I do think they should be grouped together in a new and revised bow/x-bow course and I don't see any sense in subjecting would-be x-bow hunters to a stand alone x-bow only course.As far as killing with a broadhead goes,effective range and the ethics of knowing either weapon's limitations as well as the individual's skill limitations,yes,they are very similair.I beleive current bowhunter-ed instructors are likely the best qualified to administer any future x-bow course,or essentially the same bow course that is offered now revised to include xbows with extra emphasis on ethics and limitations,ie: stressing that even though that crossgun looks alot like a rifle,has a scope,a stock,and a trigger,and is very easy for any experienced rifle hunter to become proficient with minimal practice right outta the box,it is still not meant to take 80 yard shots at live animals.Of course any current qualified bowhunters should be grandfathered from taking an additional x-bow course since it is really only the crossover rifle hunters that need to be schooled on the ethics and physics of killing with pointy sticks.Current bowhunters already do,or at least already "should"(?) have a good understanding of things like arrow trajectory,string jumping,flight time vs. speed of sound etc.,the importance of accurate range estimation,and just overall good ethical shooting practices.If we're gonna be creating instant,out-of-the-box "bowhunters
,I think the least we can do is teach them how far is too far,I think we owe our deer that much.Just because one can punch apple size bullseyes at 80 yards at the end of the 1st day's practice with that new boltgun,doesn't mean you should be shooting at deer at any more than 1/2 that range.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I know alot of bow instructors, and not one of them would even consider teaching about crossbows, A few of them even are a lilte sour on compound bows, good luck getting a die hard archery fanatic to consider a gun oops I mean a crossgun, oh sorry crossbow into there instruction.

·
Registered
542 Posts
there wont be no trouble getting instructors as long as theres peaple willing to pay for the course

·
Registered
86 Posts
I hear ya PSEH,I'm just sayin if we can't beat them,I think it would be better to have xbows included in the current bow course and taught by experienced bowhunters rather than having a senseless stand alone x-bow course or even worse,no x-bow course requirements at all and yahoos flinging bolts all willy nilly at running deer that are too far away to begin with.My biggest concern with x-bows is the built-in temptation of taking risky,too far shots with them.I think that aspect needs to be pounded home in whatever qualifying course is adopted.When Jane Public sees a deer hobbling around Quispamsis with a bolt sticking out of it's azz because Mr. Wanna B. Bowhunter came home from Canadian Tire with his new toy,fired 3 shots into the box it came in,then when hunting that afternoon and fired a Hail Mary at a deer 75 yards away,she doesn't make any distinction between that clown's bolt and a bowhunter's arrow,to her it's just some evil "bowhunter" that did it.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Yup and that is gonna happen, I promise you it will happen. Theres to many self proclaimed hunters out there that will whant to take advantage of the ease of use of the xgun and the legal distances from homes. I think its a disaster waiting to happen. Its gonna be bad, we have to many liscense purchasers and not enough hunters out there. Not enough of them will practice with them, Hell your lucky if a fella will fire a box of shells in a year or two let alone take the time to learn how to run a crossgun.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
But isn't part of the bow instruction actually practical? IE, being able to fire a bow accurately? If you're allowing Hunters into that bow course to pass using a crossbow, that doesn't seem right to me. I think there's a couple of reasons why it shouldn't be the same course, first because I don't think anyone should neccessarily be grandfathered in (People who already have the bow course), and second I don't think it's right to group them all together into one course and then tell them their Crossbows are too awesome a killing weapon and they can't be used alongside bows during Archery Season.

I know this is a bit off topic, but maybe I feel this way because I'm one of the few people in this province who drive Motorcycles that I know who agree with the CC Distinction we have. I don't think someone should be able to weave in and out of pylons on a Honda 50 and then come home and drive my 1300 to work, or one of those Suzuki 2000's. The same principles apply to driving a bike (just like the same principles apply to broadheads and arrow flight), but there's a reason why we have practical portions to these examinations.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
As the Instructor.......
If he's qualified and willing...why not?

Hawkenhunter.....

PSE is correct,the idea caused a rift amongst the instructor community here,some wanted to,some were firmly against it.
Some are no longer instructing because of not teaching it ...some 800 people took the online course first year it happened.($$$ out the window to call center)
All they would have to add in the course is saftey issues with loading/unloading/storage and maintenance/equipment..maybe a half hour - 45mins?
Experienced bow instructors could take probably a half day course and be qualified and teaching the facts and passing on their experience/knowledge/ethics.
The arguing if is over,right now there is a possibly huge financial opportunity approaching no matter where they end up.
The only IF is ...
If...it goes to a call center or stays in NB?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yes I do think they should be grouped together in a new and revised bow/x-bow course and I don't see any sense in subjecting would-be x-bow hunters to a stand alone x-bow only course.As far as killing with a broadhead goes,effective range and the ethics of knowing either weapon's limitations as well as the individual's skill limitations,yes,they are very similair.I beleive current bowhunter-ed instructors are likely the best qualified to administer any future x-bow course,or essentially the same bow course that is offered now revised to include xbows with extra emphasis on ethics and limitations,ie: stressing that even though that crossgun looks alot like a rifle,has a scope,a stock,and a trigger,and is very easy for any experienced rifle hunter to become proficient with minimal practice right outta the box,it is still not meant to take 80 yard shots at live animals.Of course any current qualified bowhunters should be grandfathered from taking an additional x-bow course since it is really only the crossover rifle hunters that need to be schooled on the ethics and physics of killing with pointy sticks.Current bowhunters already do,or at least already "should"(?) have a good understanding of things like arrow trajectory,string jumping,flight time vs. speed of sound etc.,the importance of accurate range estimation,and just overall good ethical shooting practices.If we're gonna be creating instant,out-of-the-box "bowhunters
,I think the least we can do is teach them how far is too far,I think we owe our deer that much.Just because one can punch apple size bullseyes at 80 yards at the end of the 1st day's practice with that new boltgun,doesn't mean you should be shooting at deer at any more than 1/2 that range.
I agree 100 % hawkenhunter.
I took the online course for N.S. and passed with flying colors.Does this mean I am trained enough to hunt with a crossbow ? I don't think so.
When I ever get a crossbow before I go hunting with it I would like a lot more information on shot placement,blood trailing, how long to wait after the shot, etc.
I know before I will hunt with one I will either take the bowhunters course or spend alot of time researching and talking to broadhead hunters.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts