New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a conversation in N.B Hunters stating Crossbows will be allowed in Archery season....

Also moving the Deer season

Don't know if he is just stirring the pot or if there is any truth to this.......maybe just the time of the year ....

Below is part of the conversation that is on the N.B.Hunters Facebook page

Quote:

Roland

hey guys,, it is almost certain we will be able to use crossbows during the 3 week deer archery season starting this year!! yahoooooo!!!! also
deer rifle season will now start the last Monday n October and not the 4th Monday in October!!!!!

Dion :

proof??

Dion :

Roland.....can you back this up or is it just hearsay?

Roland :

I have a letter signed by the minister addressed to the new brunswick wildlife federation stating this

Roland :

check dnr website next few days they will have it on there or join any hunting club that is a member of the wildlife federation and their president will tell you because they will have seen the letter

Dion :

oooooook

·
Registered
629 Posts
Its inevitable. Its allowed for bears and has gone over without any fuss. If anyone is worried that gun hunters looking for a longer season will suddenly fly out to cabelas to buy one, worry not. All those guys already have a compound bow cuz they look cool in magazines and you can learn to shoot one accurately before you leave the store with it. Any questions?

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I

Its inevitable. Its allowed for bears and has gone over without any fuss. If anyone is worried that gun hunters looking for a longer season will suddenly fly out to cabelas to buy one, worry not. All those guys already have a compound bow cuz they look cool in magazines and you can learn to shoot one accurately before you leave the store with it. Any questions?
I sense a disdain feeling towards Crossbows......

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Well if true that will ruin my day, lol

·
Registered
224 Posts
I hope it dose happen if so I would go take the bow course give us guy with no skills a chance to exstend our season even if not everyone agrees

·
Registered
629 Posts
I

I sense a disdain feeling towards Crossbows......
You are perceptive. I do disdain them but, I dont see the big deal about having them in the deer archery season. Compound archery has made archery season accessible to literally anyone with functional arms that can aim sights and squeeze a trigger... (that sound familiar to anyone btw?) Basically every hunter I know. So who cares if the last few go out and get a crossbow? There are only a few imo who really want to hunt october and dont already have a compound bow.

·
Registered
612 Posts
You are perceptive. I do disdain them but, I dont see the big deal about having them in the deer archery season. Compound archery has made archery season accessible to literally anyone with functional arms that can aim sights and squeeze a trigger... (that sound familiar to anyone btw?) Basically every hunter I know. So who cares if the last few go out and get a crossbow? There are only a few imo who really want to hunt october and dont already have a compound bow.
I never had any interest in hunting with a Bow when the deer population was at it's highest levels, rest assured I won't be the first in line a the Big box store to arm myself with a Crossbow with the deer herd nearly decimated.....quite frankly I am on the road of giving up hunting deer in N.B. completely.....waste of time and effort....most places that I hunt as been cut over and are vacant of deer......I will waste my money on Quebec Beer and trips where there will be not Whitetail but rather White sand under my feet......

·
Registered
612 Posts
Why make it easier to decimate the herd?
Well my friend ..it is their goal to rid this province of Whitetails......no deer...nobody complaining about deer wintering areas....clearcuts...spraying, food and deer habitat.......it is a loss cause......money over Wildlife and Enviromment everyday.....same people that are pushing for Oil pipe lines ......last thing on their minds is Enviromment.....it was predicted as stated by Rod Cumberland in the late 80's early 90's (not sure of time frame) that in 25 years there would be a shortage of wood.....they knew / know what they were doing......I will say it again you can't have lawyers running this province and giving everything away.....they could not run a Corner Conveniance store ......Gallant...never worked a day in is life.....they are all the same.....shiiit for brains and no Balls

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
If this is the true reason, then Sunday hunting and a late primitive weapons season shouldn't be far behind.....

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Well...., you already see sunday hunting which they will expand in a few years once people get used to it in deer season and the muzzleloaders already had permission to have a late season muzzleloader season if they could have agreed on what constituted a muzzleloader, lol

·
Registered
57 Posts
There would probably be a few women interested in a crossbow. I've never had the chance to try a hunting bow, but it looks quite difficult to pull the string for a smallish woman like me. But i don't understand why they would want to add more hunting pressure on the deer herd right now. Not a good time for sure.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Wonder if this would be legal, fires a xbow bolt!

xpioneer-airbow-profile.png.pagespeed.ic

As far as drawing a vertical bow, just a matter of practice and building the neccessary muscles. Form and consistancy are the important things to learn, none of these things happen overnight.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
is that the one Jim shockey uses?

·
Registered
629 Posts
I dont believe x-bows will hurt much, archery season has an abismal success rate. A hunter that can connect in october is a hunter that would be among those most likely to connect in the rifle season anyway so it would be a wash imo same as any other tag filled in bow season. Lazies dont tag in october, takes too much knowledge and preperation.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I have to laugh! Where do some people get off dictating what others can and can't hunt with. To me this is just greed. So called bow hunters wanting the extra hunting time all to themselves. You make it sound like a few crossbow hunters are going to kill every deer in the woods. How many people do you think are actually going to run out and drop 1K on a bow to hunt deer, 100, 500, 1000 maybe. What % will be successful? 2, 3, 10%. 100 deer, and not necessarily extra deer because chances are these same people hunt with a rifle.

You say that crossbow hunters are going to take 50+ unethical shoots. Will it happen, yes. Does it happen now with compound bows, yes. With rifles, yes. They are just tools and most will try and push past their limits. I am willing to bet there will be just as many lost deer and unethical shoots taken by gun hunter and bow hunters not only crossbow hunters.

If ALL hunters would just get together and stop bitching and complaining about what the other guy is hunting with, and tackle the real problem of no deer habitat we would be far better off. And I don't mean bitching and complaining about it on a form. Actually do something. And feeding the poor bastards 500lbs of apples in the fall doesn't count! <_<

Our fight needs to be with the government of N.B. for the $hit they are doing and letting happen not each other.

Oh and by the way have a happy first day of spring!

1 - 20 of 85 Posts