New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
I still say it's a bad idea and we should be making it harder to kill the deer rather than giving more tools and a later season. But keep frothing at the mouth folks. Soon we will be hunting each other because there will be no game left.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I have no problem whatsoever with the crossbow in archery season, and I'm not a crossbow guy at all. These days, anything that gives hunters more to be excited about, can only be viewed as a positive IMO. We have little or nothing going for us currently in this province.

Hunters more than ever need to be standing together and not imposing division upon ourselves. We should be supporting any and all ethical means of harvesting game in NB. It might just afford us the opportunity to welcome a few new comers to our great sport as well. Who knows? The more the merrier... and we may eventually need those numbers.

Finger pointing and chest pounding amongst ourselves is exactly the ammunition the likes of anti hunting groups, Irving, and our own provincial government would like to be able to use against us.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
lol, so only support hunters if it benefits gun hunters? Everyone supports all ethical means of hunting and welcoming new hunters but that isn't what it is about. I'm all for bow, crossbow, gun and muzzleloader use and seasons! The type and choice of weapon you choose to use isn't the issue, never was. I'd like to see a separate season for each. I believe each are unique and I'd support those who decide to challenge themselves and the game they hunt in using them. I'd even give up much of the current bow season to see them have their own season but that isn't what the Federation went after. The only ones upset with the way it has been are gun hunters. Most guys who either gun hunt or who also gun hunt don't have any problem with x-bows in the early bow season. The only ones who do are the guys who only bowhunt and that is a limited number indeed. Instead of that why didn't they push for another week after gun season to use crossbows? More opportunity for all and they get their longer season later into the rut. Would have been true "extra" opportunity. Gun hunters were jealous of bowhunters having something they didn't without learning to use a bow. That has always been the issue. They view bowhunters as an elitist group who had their own special season, couldn't stand someone having something they didn't have complete access to, nothing more than jealousy IMO. I haven't seen any gun toters siding with bowhunters on any issues, just restricting them to only what gun hunters are allowed to access. Gun hunters are only interested in sticking together and "extra" opportunity if it directly benefits those who presently hunt with a gun.

Those who support crossbows in bow season then by default also support getting rid of fly fishing only waters, youth seasons and any other season that in not completely inclusive. I mean really, if it breaks down division among sportsmen and encourages new opportunities, since anyone can chuck a spinner instead of learning to fly fish :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
I still say it's a bad idea and we should be making it harder to kill the deer rather than giving more tools and a later season. But keep frothing at the mouth folks. Soon we will be hunting each other because there will be no game left.
I agree. Why would we do anything that gets more deer killed in a moment when the deer herd is so low? It doesn't make any sense.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Bowtech. I'm not sure which part of my post caused you to conclude I was all for supporting hunters so long as it benefits gun hunters? Lol. I will reiterate, I'm not a cross bow guy, and don't aspire to be. For the record, I'm a gun/bow hunter. Not as if that matters. I happen to agree with you that cross bow hunters could be given and extra week after the gun season, but I think you and I both know that's not going to happen.
Also, it seems you make some pretty generalized statements about "gun hunters". I happen to know a lot of them, and can't think of any who come across as how you describe them. In fact, the ones I know take a genuine interest in how the bow hunters are doing in the early season, and are the first people congratulating bow hunters on a successful harvest.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Oh baby....where do I start??

I gathered a pile of data on this issue when I was at the helm and you need to be careful you compare apples to apples.

Did it "hurt" or cause too many deer to be killed when crossguns were allowed in bow seasons in the USA?? It all depends. Remember...in the US most states want MORE DEER shot. Herds are too big. So before you use them as an example, be sure you completely understand we have a dismal herd.

Next, what was the uptake? Lots of people claim there is just not the uptake of gun hunters buying a crossgun and hunting in the bow season. Again, when I looked at this it all depended on what the ADVANTAGE was. In many states you didn't get to kill an EXTRA deer, and usually had NO MORE time to hunt, so uptake and increase in kill was minimal. HOWEVER....when there WAS a big increase in opportunity (either more tags to kill more deer..OR a much longer hunting season) most places saw at minimum 20% of gun hunters purchase a crossgun to get the extra opportunity. We've already seen it here where a hunter has said he'd buy one for the extra 3 weeks....and so will many others. If you do the simple math, this adds at least 45,000*20% = 9,000 hunters in the early season. Given the best current estimates of bow hunters afield in the early season this will triple or quadrouple the number of people out there. And whose going to tell them to "space out across the landscape?". They are going right where I am. How many times do I hear guys here crap and whine about this stuff happeneing in the gun season???? We bowhunt to AVOID this. Now the desperate and those who don't want to take the EFFORT required to bowhunt will the the EXACT people to purchase a crossbow...because they already don't have the woodsmanship to connect in the rifle season. this equals increase in slob hunters....maybe not all....but a lot!

Sales of crossguns - 9,000 new grossguns is over 6 million in benefits to crossbow distributers and manufacturers...the whole reason they were willing to donate a few tools for education programs. Good business on their part. If you look at who was behind most of the crossgun seasons across NA...including our bluenose neighbors to the south, it was the crossgun manufacturers. I saw this time and again.

People who say it's no big deal simply don't understand why we bowhunt. If it's a bowhunter saying this, then either he has shot few decent deer with a bow, or has his own secluded spot that only he has access to likely shoot few deer, because they don't appreciate all the time and work that goes into harvesting a buck with a bow, and how these odds are drastically reduced once other hunters start crawling around and change a bucks behaviour.

Bowhunters hunt PRE RUT. therefore, we hunt early fall buck behaviour to be successful. It takes a pile of scouting and work to be successful. I have shot 12 deer now with a bow, and I know how much effort it takes to be successful. Nothing is more infuriating than having some jughead come into a place you have set up on and scouted and patterned a buck and in 5 minutes all that work goes down the tube.

Do I mind sharing the woods with another ethical bowhunter? Not at all. Do I get peed off when some maroon comes in and screws up my hunt? WE ALL do...I've read it in threads here for years. Now all of a sudden bowhunters are bad guys and selfish because we don't want these problems in the bow season?? Give me a break. If he has never SUCCESSFULLY bowhunted, he has no idea the time and work I put in...does he really care?

Sorry - I bowhunt to get out ahead of the nimrods. I enjoy the season, and the solitude. It takes a lot of effort to come to full draw on an early season buck you can pattern without them adjusting to the influx of 40.000 hunters. You guys who think it's ridiculous have no idea how this changes the very reasons why we bowhunt. Stop being so self-righteous and thinking you understand and we are just being selfish. It goes much deeper than that.

·
Registered
780 Posts
They wanted to 6 years ago but I fought it hard from inside opposing it. They were just waiting for me to leave so they could gat back at it.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Bowtech. I'm not sure which part of my post caused you to conclude I was all for supporting hunters so long as it benefits gun hunters? Lol. I will reiterate, I'm not a cross bow guy, and don't aspire to be. For the record, I'm a gun/bow hunter. Not as if that matters. I happen to agree with you that cross bow hunters could be given and extra week after the gun season, but I think you and I both know that's not going to happen.
Also, it seems you make some pretty generalized statements about "gun hunters". I happen to know a lot of them, and can't think of any who come across as how you describe them. In fact, the ones I know take a genuine interest in how the bow hunters are doing in the early season, and are the first people congratulating bow hunters on a successful harvest.
In which part of your post do you support bowhunters having an early archery season. The only thing in this province that benefits bowhunters specifically. Tell me one fish and game club that supported bowhunters when they asked for a couple extra days outside of the 60k moose hunters to moose season. I can't even write in a public forum what some of them said :) Tell me one thing that gun hunters have supported Bowhunters on? We don't even get the Sunday hunting in bow season, only in GUN season for deer.

As far as knowing gun hunters, I know a pile, my whole family and most of the guys I hunt with and most of the people in the F+G clubs and Federation and hunting public. When I started 30 years ago I can't tell you how much criticism I took for using an "inferior" weapon but I still took my deer. My friends and family don't criticize me anymore and the stigma that was once attributed to bows has lessened with most but hunters who aren't bowhunters still don't see us as one of them, we are elitists, having something they don't have and they can't stand it.

·
Premium Member
946 Posts
Bowtech some people were critical cause you hunted with a bow??? Wow! My hats off to anyone that would take the challenge of hunting NB with bow..... A well I'm speechless. Some people think hunting is all about killing game at all cost, I would say " think" that hunting with a bow makes you a more seasoned, selective hunter.

You have to wait for the animal to be right on top of you, that said you can see what's coming big, small, # of points and so on.

AG

·
Registered
481 Posts
I am pretty sure everyone here knows this is going to happen. So it moves NB hunting forward . That is something that rarely happens in this province. If it gives more people more opportunity to get out and hunt I say "What a Great thing". Now if we can just fight for year round Sunday hunting and then maybe rid ourselves of caliber restrictions.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Some of u just don't get it. The deer are done for. So why try and kill more? That mentality is why nb is stuck 50 yrs behind the rest of canada.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Just like how everyone loves to keep voting Cons and libtards. It's worked so well for 50 yrs keep er goin so we can be part of quebec soon????

·
Registered
780 Posts
I feel like I need to repost my last post for you 4evrhuntn. It doesn't sound like you understood it. May have read it...but understood? I don't think so.

·
Registered
425 Posts
In which part of your post do you support bowhunters having an early archery season. The only thing in this province that benefits bowhunters specifically. Tell me one fish and game club that supported bowhunters when they asked for a couple extra days outside of the 60k moose hunters to moose season. I can't even write in a public forum what some of them said :) Tell me one thing that gun hunters have supported Bowhunters on? We don't even get the Sunday hunting in bow season, only in GUN season for deer.

As far as knowing gun hunters, I know a pile, my whole family and most of the guys I hunt with and most of the people in the F+G clubs and Federation and hunting public. When I started 30 years ago I can't tell you how much criticism I took for using an "inferior" weapon but I still took my deer. My friends and family don't criticize me anymore and the stigma that was once attributed to bows has lessened with most but hunters who aren't bowhunters still don't see us as one of them, we are elitists, having something they don't have and they can't stand it.
Of course I support the early archery season. I always have and always will. Just because I may have a different take on who should get to enjoy it, in no way means I don't support it. It's of absolutely no benefit to me at all to have cross bow hunters included in the archery season, but far be it for me to say they don't belong. I appreciate the thought that the archery guys faced a lot of obstacles especially in the early days. But since they've been through it already, perhaps they can use their current standing to help out a new group that is now facing some of the same hurdles they did. Just a thought.
It's funny how people can experience things so differently. You said you took grief for choosing to hunt with a bow. Before I bought my bow, I was harassed for years by bow hunters, for hunting with a rifle. It was all in good fun, but it can certainly work both ways.
Anyway, it just seemed like you were insinuating my point of view was based entirely on an under lying selfish motivation, and that couldn't be further from the truth. That's why I took exception to it. If that's not what you were getting at, then I apologize for the misunderstanding.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Some of u just don't get it. The deer are done for. So why try and kill more? That mentality is why nb is stuck 50 yrs behind the rest of canada.
I don't think the mentality of a few hunters is the reason hunting in this province is in it's current state. There is a huge elephant in the room that is largely responsible, and that discussion would completely hijack this thread. Lol.

41 - 60 of 85 Posts