New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you hunt on Crown land or Private/posted/or managed land?
Crown1562.50%
Private937.50%

·
Registered
121 Posts
First of all I would like to start by saying that I have always been fortunate enough, and don’t know any different, than hunting on private land. My father was the one to first introduce my brothers and I to hunting at an early age. I can remember tagging along with him when I was probably 9 or 10 years old. We always had lots of room to hunt and I never seen, heard, or thought it was any different for anyone else. When I got older and moved away from home (to the city) I got out of hunting for a year or two. It soon became apparent to me that I wanted to have a place of my own, where I could live, and still go hunting in my own backyard like it was when I was a kid. I was lucky enough to find a location that provided that for me and one that my wife would be able to live with as well. Since then I’ve resided on and managed my small woodlot (45 acres) for 6 years now. I do a bit every year as money allows and even have a 1 acre clover plot where I’ve taken some nice bucks the last few years. I talk hunting lots with the guys at work and I often here the comment “ It’s a lot easier for you because you have your own land”. I thought about that comment a few times and you know what, they are right. I’ve seen so much negativity lately in the deer hunting forums about crown land, and I’m sure for good reason. I understand that it’s not possible for everyone for one reason or another to have there own private hunting grounds, but it makes me wonder is this the future of hunting in New Brunswick. I here some complaining that public land in zone 22 is so overcrowded and soon the deer will be gone from there as well. In my mind you can’t blame these hunters for crowding that area because we all know that is one of the last places in New Brunswick to hold any “amount” of deer. I don’t want this to turn into a discussion about forest practices as that is discussed extensively in other threads here on the forum. I know most of the hunters I talk to still hunt crown land. I am curious to know how many on this site actually do and how many are private?

·
Registered
270 Posts
I am fortunate enough to have access to some private land to hunt. This is where I do my bowhunting, and some rifle hunting. I also do a bit of rifle hunting on crown land, near my camp (which is on a crown lease), and I actually killed my buck on crown this year. In my area, however, there is no comparison to hunting private land vs. crown. Crown land has more hunters, lower deer densities, and much tougher hunting. Most of the private land, which runs up and down the river valley here has much higher deer densities, however I find the buck to doe ratios to be out of whack in most of these places, with does out numbering bucks by 10 to 1 or more.

Overall I would say I'm doing about 90% of my deer hunting on private land, 10% on crown.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I hunt both crown land and private. This year was about 90% private, if there really is such a thing in N.B. Trespassers don't seem to have the ability or desire to read or understand what private land is.

·
Registered
271 Posts
My big game hunting is on private land and all the small game is on crown land. So 25% private and 75% crown land.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Pretty much all my hunting is on private ground, except moose(well the one time I got drawn
) , not much crown around here...

Overall I would say I'm doing about 90% of my deer hunting on private land, 10% on crown.
You do know that ratio is impossible preseason and even post season here in NB. It just seems like it sometimes

·
Registered
18 Posts
I hunt crown land and always have mostly zone 18 one year in zone 22 many years ago. I would probably hunt on private land if I could find something that was not posted red or yellow and no trespass. The guys I hunt with are all much older than me and have seen the good years come and go, their passion is gone, some only come to the camp gave up on it. When I was young the Forkstreams road looked like Mountain Rd bumper to bumper before first light and the same at night, not the same now. Lots of hunters still in 18 but they mostly like to shoot from truck windows, day night it's all the same to them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts