New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a caribou rack I got a few years back, and it was in the velvet when I shot it. I stripped the velvet off, and the rack is chalk white. I'd like to mount it on a plaque, but first I'd like to put something on the antlers to darken them, to a more natural color. Does anyone know what I could use?

·
Registered
44 Posts
You might try various colours of leather dye(light brown, English Saddle, etc.). Very light amount on a cloth and rub it in. Some antlers had/have a slight reddish brown clour especially just out of velvet, they are more reddish from the blood flow..don't saturate the antlers with the dye, or you'll have a mess.

Try a small spot on the back of the antlers first to see the effect. IF you want to darken the tips a darker shade, then re-apply until desired shade is achieved. a little goes along way, and a lightly dampened cloth, not dripping wet.

To bring back the shine, rub in some boiled linseed oil or maybe tung oil.
Again, do a small spot out of sight first to get the effect yopu want then have at it.

MAybe a true taxidermist could chime in and correct me if I'm out to lunch on this, but I have tried this and it worked good enough for me.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I've seen a guy on TV use Elk sheds to make chandeliers and he used a paste made from ground up coffee beans. Looked awesome

I know from refinishing gun stocks that you could use Birchwood Cassey's TruOil to finish the antlers after they are stained. The nice thing about TruOil is that after you let it dry you can use a cloth or very fine steel wool and rub the finish to give a matte look. Which in my opinion is way better then high glosss on antlers.

I also have several racks and a caribou rack that I want to do. Just to find time,

·
Registered
726 Posts
Potassium Permanganate. Get it through WASCO taxidermy supply. This stuff works fantastic. Antler wax to give it soft natural luster afterwards.

·
Registered
409 Posts
If you use Boiled Linseed disgard of used rags or anything it comes in contact with very carefully as it is prone to spontaneously combust.

Love to see what you end up with and the process you use...good or bad review to go with it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
If you use Boiled Linseed disgard of used rags or anything it comes in contact with very carefully as it is prone to spontaneously combust.

Love to see what you end up with and the process you use...good or bad review to go with it.
YEah, so would I!!!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Put 2-3 coats of golden oak stain.For the dark color around the bases and rough area I use a walnut stain
on top of the golden oak.After it has dried the antlers will be shiny so take a dense sponge and rub off the sheen.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts