New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, now that dave alward has become our new premier, will he come through on his promise to improve our moose hunting in New Brunswick?
i hope he keeps his word here.
i dont know what he will do to improve it but i will be waiting anxiously to find out!
i do think it is time something is done!!!!
maybe give us the sunday to hunt and making it 4 days like we do in deer season!
what are some opinions???

·
Registered
358 Posts
well, now that dave alward has become our new premier, will he come through on his promise to improve our moose hunting in New Brunswick?
i hope he keeps his word here.
i dont know what he will do to improve it but i will be waiting anxiously to find out!
i do think it is time something is done!!!!
maybe give us the sunday to hunt and making it 4 days like we do in deer season!
what are some opinions???
There are several hunting laws I would like to see changed, but the biggest one is the short moose season. Also, the draw needs to be changed to hunters only, no grandmas or aunts and uncles.

FURTHERMORE

There should be changes to most other hunts. My biggest hope would be for a second bear tag for resident hunters. Most bears in the province are shot by non-residents, so it wouldn't make a big dent on the population, which is on the rise anyway.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I would love to see him get rid of all the wives, sisters, aunts and grandmas that have never seen a moose before let alone shot one. Personally being from around zone 7 and 8, and having a LOT of outsiders, i would like to see you have to enter/hunt in the zone u reside in. Wouldnt mind seeing him just give me a Damn licence either, haha

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would just like to see the draws fairer. I do not know how these people in my zone get it every third year, and I religiously apply every year and have not got it for 22 years. My father it was 34 years until last year.

·
Registered
37 Posts
well im not one for politics but u can give the best idea or solution in the world on this site but without notifying your mp of your thoughts it wont go anywhere

·
Registered
57 Posts
My understanding is that he promised to make the moose draw more fair for everyone....a few more changes wouldn't hurt either!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I agree that changes to regulation are needed. NB is behind other provinces.
As for "Gram ma" ;well maybe go back to the shooting test for all hunters and not with light recoiling 22-250s.
my 2 cents....

·
Registered
627 Posts
I'd like to see the reinstatement of a 6 day season with bulls only. The apply in the zone you live in isn't bad either. Another thing I'd like to see is the application date changed to March, draw in April, tag to be bought in May. Any tags not bought to be drawn again in June.Weed out the people that apply but don't plan on hunting. The test was a joke but did keep non-hunters from applying. I've heard different people suggest using different aspects of the gun registry as criteria but I wouldn't want to see anything connected with the federal gun registry used in anything provincial.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Do the draw on a point system the same way as most everywhere else in North America does for limited tag animals.

I'd be agreeable to limit the zone to residents of the zone for moose if you'll agree to do the same for deer??

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Do the draw on a point system the same way as most everywhere else in North America does for limited tag animals.

I'd be agreeable to limit the zone to residents of the zone for moose if you'll agree to do the same for deer??
X1000

I hear you BT cause its not hard to find out of towners in the southeastern part of the province come Nov.
If you were going to put in a rule like that it would have to be for all game

To me this 1 rule is not nearly as important as it is to finding a way to weed out the non hunters from these draws.

Also maybe do a party hunts sort of like quebec does. 4 hunters per group that can all carry a firearm and 1 moose between the 4 people in the party.

This surely would increase the harvest #'s but give alot more people a chance on a more frequent basis

·
Registered
5 Posts
well im not one for politics but u can give the best idea or solution in the world on this site but without notifying your mp of your thoughts it wont go anywhere
Trust I am an ear bender, been there and have done that already, but now there will be a cabinet suffle again so I will have to write to the new MP. I will probably just cut and paste then call them after the email like last time.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
actually BK
you would be surprised....some actually do read these sites!
i know of a few that actually signed up to certain sites!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I would Love to do the same for deer, Our deer seaosn may even before worse then moose for outsiders moving their community's right into our woods, since they have shot everything that moves where they come from.

It will be interesting to see,but hopfully the change in leaders will be a good thing. I'm just scared New Brunswick will still be driving the same ol'e shitty car, just with a new Paint Job...

·
Registered
92 Posts
I don't think only being able to draw for the zone you live in is very fair. I live inside the city, and as far as i know i can't hunt moose or deer for that matter anywhere in the zone i actually live in. And what about if you want to hunt with a friend/brother/etc who has a camp in another zone? or lives in another zone?
I for one don't agree with that at all

·
Registered
614 Posts
Forget about hunting in your own zone.
The deer/moose/bear/bunnies in this province belong to all of us. They don't belong only to you because you happened to be born where you were born.
What next? Only residents of Northumberland County can fish salmon? Or maybe I get an extra week of hunting season because I pay more taxes than you? Only Westmorland County residents can hunt ducks on the Tantramar marsh?
Forget it.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Go with the system as long as you keep applying eventually you'll get your turn. I don't agree with hunting in the zone you reside in. Most people do including myself but once in awhile I try my number in a new zone to change my luck, even though it hasn't worked yet.

·
Registered
69 Posts
It would do you all some good to take a drive through most of zone 7 sometime and you will realize why it is such a problem around here. Let me know what u think of the 20 000 campers parked here there and everywhere, and then the garbage that is ALWAYS left behind....

·
Registered
358 Posts
Forget about hunting in your own zone.
The deer/moose/bear/bunnies in this province belong to all of us. They don't belong only to you because you happened to be born where you were born.
What next? Only residents of Northumberland County can fish salmon? Or maybe I get an extra week of hunting season because I pay more taxes than you? Only Westmorland County residents can hunt ducks on the Tantramar marsh?
Forget it.
Right on.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts