New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Been thinking about the problems with our deer herd and lack of wintering areas seem to be a major one.

Why don't we organize a deer conservation trust. The aim being to promote whitetail habitat.

The trust would need land dedicated to wildlife habitat - particularly deer. Well, the crown has land practically everywhere in the province. The province allows the lumber companies to cut practically all of it. Why not have some parcels set aside for the trust to manage. Should be doable.

The trust would need money. Well, every hunter already kicks in 5 or 10 bucks per license to some sort of trust. That money right there would be a good start. I think a lot of it is spent on other projects not beneficial to hunters.

Local hunters could get together in the off season to work on the trust land making improvements.

Another issue is predator control focused on the managed lands. Clean the predators out in fall before deer need to use them for winter. Get DNR to dump roadkills in select places to benefit coyote hunters and trappers.

Make sense?

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
X2 to QDMANB. Well organized, strong backup from QDMA Canada and US, everything you need to get started, in organized fashion.

On a side note, QDM founder was recently voted Budweiser Conservationist of the year...

·
Registered
409 Posts
On a side note, QDM founder was recently voted Budweiser Conservationist of the year...
Soooo he's not a beer drinker?......

Do you have to buy a habitat stamp for your licenses in NB?
Here in NS we do...$3
It is shelled out to organizations that come up with proposals for improvements or studies.

Is there a whitetail association?
If there isn't who voices concerns about whitetails to govt.....Irving?

·
Banned
348 Posts
Soooo he's not a beer drinker?......

Do you have to buy a habitat stamp for your licenses in NB?
Here in NS we do...$3
It is shelled out to organizations that come up with proposals for improvements or studies.

Is there a whitetail association?
If there isn't who voices concerns about whitetails to govt.....Irving?
LOL.....its called the NBWF but they don't seem to be "all about deer". Case in point - the whole Crossbow issue with making false statements about our biologist. Strong voice there.

Like I said earlier - QDMA is our only hope. I have only been a member for 1 month and all the issues/solutions being discussed on this forum are being organized internally.

We are going to be meeting with DNR soon to table issues and solutions. The more members we have to fight the sooner we will make a difference.

·
Registered
242 Posts
yes i agree we should start something like that.when you look at the conservation trust fund. look at the pie chart see where most of the money comes from.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I bet you that within 3 years, QDMA NB will be getting most of that pie.
Will that money from all the hunters go to projects on crownland or private land?
A whitetail assoc representing all hunters would probably get more pie as long as they had the volunteers to run it and do the work on crownland for all to hunt.

·
Banned
348 Posts
Will that money from all the hunters go to projects on crownland or private land?
A whitetail assoc representing all hunters would probably get more pie as long as they had the volunteers to run it and do the work on crownland for all to hunt.
Crown Land. It's in the plans but we don't have enough volunteers/members to start working on it this spring. We are going to discuss this with the minister in the coming months. The plan would be to start crown land projects in the spring of 2012. MEMBERSHIPS are key.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Crown Land.
It's in the plans but we don't have enough volunteers/members to start working on it this spring.
MEMBERSHIPS are key.
Members and memberships certainly are,it's an eastcoast epidemic I think.

If ya wanna see what a strong membership and good representation can do for things take a look at the
Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters.

O.F.A.H. click here

The Orgs already exsist in both NS & NB they have just fallen by the wayside for lack of interest shown direction/members and funds IMO
Course I only know what I have seen said on here about the NB side of that.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts