New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok boys & girls, I keep hearing that deer heart is very good. How do you prepare it

·
Registered
495 Posts
Didn't think eating any wild organ meat was advisable anymore due to the hardwood spraying program.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
We always cook the heart fresh within a few hours of gutting. I like it best just fried lightly (don't overcook) in the frying pan with mushrooms and onions and served with eggs over easy

·
Registered
163 Posts
I cook it exactly like BT said and i love it and so does my family...and to be honest with you all the first moose i ever shot my uncle told me i had to eat the tip off the raw moose heart right after we gutted it...well we got the bull down and gutted and out he pulls the heart right there all the family around us all bloody and he cuts off the tip of the heart and down the hatch it goes...i was so excited after shooting that moose that i don't remember much about it but they all got a good laugh hehe...needless to say i made him eat the tip off the moose we shot in 09 lol he was not pleased that i remembered to make him try it!!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
For moose heart we simmer it over a wood stove at the camp for 5hrs, do not let it boil. Put in some onions beer and wine and top it of with water. Usualy we we put it on before we go to bed 1-2am and when we get up at 6 or 7 am we slice it thin and fry it up just to brown it. serve with with your eggs.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Slice it thin, roll it in flour, salt and pepper, and fry it in butter. Also good boiled with onions, let cool in the fridge, and slice thin the next day for sandwiches.

·
Registered
179 Posts
How do you cut it up?
I've had it bbq a few times and it was great but I'm not sure how to actually cut it up.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I cook it as soon as I get home, in a covered roaster with some beer garlic, onion, chives, slow cooked on a low temp so it does not dry out.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Linnie, Slice it a half inch thick across the grain of the meat, not with it. If you slice with the grain it will be tough and stringy. When sliced properly you will have meat slices with holes in them (the ventricles in the heart).

·
Registered
614 Posts
What he said ^^^^. The fresher the better in my opinion, too.
Most folks might think it's odd to eat the heart.
Remember, in many cultures they think we're odd because we eat pigs, and we all know how pigs live. Others eat dogs and cats and seem to be doing fine. Some will eat cockroaches and think we're weird because we eat cows.
Some grocery stores (including my local grocer) still sell tongues, brains, and who doesn't enjoy some nice fried liver now and then?
As for the cadmium and other heavy metals that accumulate in deer organs, well, I'm sure any amount is not good for us, but frankly, I can't see a meal of deer heart once a year doing much harm and I doubt any scientist or doctor would argue that.
(Most heavy metals accumulate in the kidneys, and I don't know anyone who eats those anyway, if only because few people even know where to find them or what they look like.)
I'd LOVE to see the analysis of heavy metals in a dear heart compared to the same compounds in, say, a coupla breaths of air from near the tail pipe of a city bus.

·
Registered
178 Posts
What he said ^^^^. The fresher the better in my opinion, too.
Most folks might think it's odd to eat the heart.
Remember, in many cultures they think we're odd because we eat pigs, and we all know how pigs live. Others eat dogs and cats and seem to be doing fine. Some will eat cockroaches and think we're weird because we eat cows.
Some grocery stores (including my local grocer) still sell tongues, brains, and who doesn't enjoy some nice fried liver now and then?
As for the cadmium and other heavy metals that accumulate in deer organs, well, I'm sure any amount is not good for us, but frankly, I can't see a meal of deer heart once a year doing much harm and I doubt any scientist or doctor would argue that.
(Most heavy metals accumulate in the kidneys, and I don't know anyone who eats those anyway, if only because few people even know where to find them or what they look like.)
I'd LOVE to see the analysis of heavy metals in a dear heart compared to the same compounds in, say, a coupla breaths of air from near the tail pipe of a city bus.
Hey Lobsterman, does that store happen to sell beef heart or Cod tongues and cheeks aswell? I have been looking for a grocer that sells this stuff for a long time, but no luck. Back in Ontario I had a farmer who would hook me up with beef hearts, and I did alot of Walleye fishing, tongues and cheeks were the best part. No Wally's in NB, closest thing to them around here is Cod, but darned if I can find anything in the stores aside from beef steaks and fillets. Sorry, a little off topic

·
Registered
614 Posts
I've seen the fish parts at Price Chopper on Elmwood Drive and the cow parts at Rinzler's on Mountain Road (don't be shy to ask the butcher!)
Hope this helps. (Cod tongues and cheeks were frozen though.)

·
Registered
178 Posts
I've checked Rinzler's but never thought of asking the butcher, never been to price chopper but I will have a look, frozen is better then n/a lol. Thanks!

·
Registered
614 Posts
I've checked Rinzler's but never thought of asking the butcher, never been to price chopper but I will have a look, frozen is better then n/a lol. Thanks!
I've seen them elsewhere but can't remember where. Let me know if you have problems and I'll take note when I'm out foraging for food like all the other animals and I'll let you know.
Certainly I've seen them in Monkeytown in more than one place.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
wow. I just sliced the heart and fried it up in butter with some onions salt & pepper and it is delicious. I will be eating the rest with some eggs

1 - 15 of 15 Posts