New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HY GUYS THIS YEARS I AM GOING HUNTING IN GRAND MANAN I NEVER WENT THERE BEFORE.. DOES ANY OF YOU HUNT THERE BEFORE AND WHERE TO GO ANY GOOD SPOT YOU WOULD NO .....

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Small is the word, they don't look at bucks by the racks but how much they weigh. We hunted there a couple years ago and 70lbs was a big doe. I think there were two fawns shot that weighed in at a whopping 23lbs!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Grand manan always had small deer when I was over there, is this still the case or are the deer still smaller than on the mainland deer.
I just cant imagine coming here for a buck if I lived on the mainland...The few does that were taken here this year from mainlanders were shamefully small, even by our standards... Yes island deer are smaller, it is the same for the islands along the coast of Maine. The deer here came from the mainland originally, so I beleive they are rite when they say it is because of the feed.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I just cant imagine coming here for a buck if I lived on the mainland...The few does that were taken here this year from mainlanders were shamefully small, even by our standards... Yes island deer are smaller, it is the same for the islands along the coast of Maine. The deer here came from the mainland originally, so I beleive they are rite when they say it is because of the feed.
why in hell would anyone take a fawn?? I would like to see a minimum point rule here as well as some means to level out the males to females taken. cdog.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Cdog - what's wrong with your males on the island? Don't you guys have 500 doe tags for the rock?
There are far more 'bucks' taken than does, people shoot the spikes and wonder why there are not more mature bucks around, go figure. There are 500 doe tags available, but there are usually less than 300 deer taken alltogether!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
WHY ARE YOU YELLING?

But to answer your question,just about anywhere...they are thick as rabbits(and not much bigger,lol)
Sorry,it would violate my sense of internet etiquette to name specific spots,but you shouldn't have any trouble finding deer.

LOL...you mean less than 300 registered,yes?As I remember it,GM deer season runs from august-feb anytime one isn't hauling traps or working on gear,lol. A person needs 2 or 3 of them GM runts anyhow just to make a sandwich.
Your rite girl, I would much rather see half the deer,twice as big. It is a unique situation here, I would think there could be management practices implemented here that could make things much better. Youre rite about our unnoficial season too, first full moon in august, its on!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts