New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Just curious (for fun) who else would agree to the idea.
I don't really want a poll of it, just opinions. Because there a so many different points and rules, that some may agree to and some they don't.

Here are my proposed guide lines.

I know some of my rules may seem a bit extreme, but I would agree to them fully myself. If it meant seeing a few horns in my weeks hunt, and no other hunters.

A large area (not less than ten square miles) "more" if possible.

It doesn't have to be a high fence operation, as long as access can be controlled "completely"

No does shot until deer numbers get too unbalanced, and some have to be culled to keep ratios in check.

Bucks only, 8 point rule.

"Eliminate" "all" predators

Select areas for summer feed (cuttings) (no food plots), then let them grow back up naturally.
Then re-cut them when too high for deer browse. Cut only the same areas, leaving mature woods for hunting.

All hunting.. rifle, as well as bow "only" in mature woods.

"No hunting" allowed in cuttings.

You may hunt from a blind or a stand, or still-hunt. You are given a numbered area all to yourself with boundary's (This way everyone knows where everyone else is.)(within reason)

"No" Baiting allowed

No camping in the preserve.

Leave the area for at least 5 years before hunting allowed. Then you will have to control hunter numbers for a while. To see what the area will allow for annual kill

Supplemental Ariel feeding in winters

Minimum $1000 a week hunting fee.

After a couple of experimental areas, then add more.

I know that the steep fee is going to be the killer for most of you. But the way "I" see it, if you only have to drive a few hours, or less to hunt, and can put up a stand anywhere and have a good chance of seeing a buck..it is still the best bargain around compared to a trip to the U.S. or out west.

Someone on this site way back old site) mentioned that someone tried to start a wild hog (Russian Boar?)Bow hunting operation in N.S. But it was shot down by the DNR. I think they said they spent $1000,000 and no dice. I also think that that would be a good idea as well. It would be great to have some form of other game to hunt with the bow, to get in some real game shooting practice.
As long as they weren't "too" tame! It all has to do with the size of the operation.

So....Yes or NO!!

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I love the idea...I don't believe in high fence but a controlled area is good. I think the $$ figure should be lower. Resident only and by draw based on point system, because if it is as good as it should be then there will be a lot of people applying to get in. I don't believe in the aerial winter feeding and it adds a lot to the cost. I like the cutting idea and have an area here that I plan on doing the same, just keeping it 2-5 years and bush hogging.
I DO NOT believe in a wild boar operation as EVERY area they have ever been farmed or fenced they have escaped and established wild populations and have cost literally millions of dollars of damage to livestock, crops and wild flaura and fauna. Most every place that has has wild hogs is trying, or wish they could eradicate them.
I have a bunch of info and data at work on the negative impact of wild boar. Maybe something else but not wild boar.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I'd rather have high fence. That way you can get em cornered and slaughter them..LOL just kidding, or am I..LOL

A friend of mine has had fenced wild boar for years without escape causing a "wild" population of hogs. He's only 30 miles from me in NB also.

I love the antler points rule and would love to see DNR apply that to our regular laws. I would love to see a 3 pts on one side or 4 pts on one side rule. LOVE TO HAVE IT.

On the preserve 8 pt rule. Great. The other bucks would be "ATM Bucks", $500 for shooting one smaller than 8 pt.

Nothing wrong with $1000 for a price.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I love the idea...I don't believe in high fence but a controlled area is good. I think the $$ figure should be lower. Resident only and by draw based on point system, because if it is as good as it should be then there will be a lot of people applying to get in. I don't believe in the aerial winter feeding and it adds a lot to the cost. I like the cutting idea and have an area here that I plan on doing the same, just keeping it 2-5 years and bush hogging.
I DO NOT believe in a wild boar operation as EVERY area they have ever been farmed or fenced they have escaped and established wild populations and have cost literally millions of dollars of damage to livestock, crops and wild flaura and fauna. Most every place that has has wild hogs is trying, or wish they could eradicate them.
I have a bunch of info and data at work on the negative impact of wild boar. Maybe something else but not wild boar.
Yes I can see your point on the hoggs bowtech, Actually I just remembered "that was" the reason they shot it down in N.S. And I can see their point for sure. I know how hard it was just to keep our own pigs in a pen the farm. Not such a good idea after all. I guess "any" non native species would cause problems with "native" ones. Like "elk" would compete with deer an moose...not to mention the disease factor some of the "Elk" farms have caused as well.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Thats funny about the high fence idea NBG!
reminds me of Lewis Blacks (love that guy) stand up skit on D.Chaney. Talking about gettng the deer into the corner "LOL". Like he said about hunting quail..."If your gonna hunt something...it should be something like a "Bear"....something that can "EAT" your feet!!!

Bowtech, I thnk that the winter feeding would only be if the deer "needed it", due to a lack of natural (lets say cedar) winter food on the preserve.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I think it's a great idea, but I like Bowtech's addition of a resident-only draw system more than the $1000 fee. I think it could be beneficial to implement a fairly expensive ($25 for example) fee to apply for the draw, and then make the actual hunt something more reasonably affordable. Personally, if I was going to put out $1000 for a week of hunting, I would just save my money towards something we can't do for free in New Brunswick, Alberta Elk or Mulies for example.

Sign me up for the predator elimination team!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I dunno...I still think the high fee is reasonable, simply because that hunt to some other province or state is going to cost you a lot more than that. After you add up the return air fare, your guide fee etc. A Guided Elk or Moose hunt...heck even Whitetail hunts out west will set you back $3000!!
I personally could swing that $1000 every year no problem. And it would be nice to be able to "know" that I could hunt every year! I don't much like the "luck" of the draw! I like a "sure" (even if high priced)thing! heck! I usually spend over $200 on apples every year anyway!!!

If it wasn't for the air fare costs, added to the hunt costs, I would go to "Illinois" every year ...right now!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
eliminating all predators would be hard to do without a fence in my opinion, higher deer population would also increase predator numbers.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You are probably right CH. And the fence "might" have to go up!...That's why we need a higher hunt fee to help pay for it.

I just thought of something through supper that made me laugh. Gonna be real hard to get the Govt to agree to pay for a fence, gate and boundary monitors, operations managers etc. When they would not hire personel to register deer. And only payed stores a $1 a deer to do it for them.

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
You are probably right CH. And the fence "might" have to go up!...That's why we need a higher hunt fee to help pay for it.

I just thought of something through supper that made me laugh. Gonna be real hard to get the Govt to agree to pay for a fence, gate and boundary monitors, operations managers etc. When they would not hire personel to register deer. And only payed stores a $1 a deer to do it for them.
Yeah, and I don't think the government would subsidize essentially the total opposite in game management that they have been practising, and / or indirectly letting happen to our habitat in the last 40 years. For them, it would be a big case of: OPEN MOUTH INSERT FOOT

Anticosti is a great example of micro managed, predator free, deer haven...

t'would be nice if we could have our own little Anticosti...Grand Manan maybe? LOL

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Yeah, and I don't think the government would subsidize essentially the total opposite in game management that they have been practising, and / or indirectly letting happen to our habitat in the last 40 years. For them, it would be a big case of: OPEN MOUTH INSERT FOOT

Anticosti is a great example of micro managed, predator free, deer haven...

t'would be nice if we could have our own little Anticosti...Grand Manan maybe? LOL
Ack, the boys are already screaming yellow discs, the most mainlanders we have ever seen this year!

·
Registered
495 Posts
"Eliminate" "all" predators
Ummmmm

Hunters are predators...

It all sounds good, price would be a killer for me. Cost me nothing to hunt deer, and I don't really care if I get a rack or not. However, if it were all about the rack, I guess the $1000 would be ok too, but it would have to be massive. I mean if I am going to buy a rack, it would need to be something spectacular.

I still think the "Eliminate" "all" predators part needs reclassification..

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ten square miles eh, who do you think is gonna fund this little land purchase?
Well, my high $$ fee was supposed to help mantain it. I would expect the Govt to put up the land!

As far as the cost issue again. The way I look at it. You get what you pay for.

I pay high insurance fees.
High utility fees.
High fuel fees.
High grocery fees.
High vehicle repair fees
and so forth...$$

None of which are "fun" purchases.

To me, a weeks vacation off work to go hunting, is a relaxing endeavor. But I am also serious about getting a deer.
And I would rather get a big deer if possible. I really miss the good old days.. deer numbers.

All I want is this a chance to see a few "mature" bucks from my stand And not have to fight with other hunters for my spot. I'm not "buying" a buck. I am "buying" a wonderful deer hunting experience. What do you actually "get" when you go on an Ocean Cruise?...I mean "besides" the flue.

What if you got a letter in the mail tomorrow, saying you just "WON" a weeks whitetail hunt in Alberta. And all you had to do was pay for the return plane ticket. Would you bite? Well if you said yes, there is your $1000 pretty much. Now...if you could have the same hunting conditions here. Without any guide fees. You'd have a similar deal.

But remember this is a "what if" question thread.

And even though I love the idea myself, I know it would "never" fly...simply because like I have said before. You have to have the Govt on board to develop any project like this. The Govt of this province doesn't care if you get a buck or not. They just want you to buy a license.
It is usually no problem for them to find money for other community, Arts, sports or whatever "public" projects.
But I don't think us hunters are at the top of their $$ list.

This is just a dream idea guys. For "fun". It could be done. If they really wanted to.

But what isn't "fun" is to look at the deer numbers, hunters are seeing this fall. And think about where we will be in a few more?

I think I will start right now, saving my $$ for an out of province hunt.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts