New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the areas I've been hunting has a gravel pit in between 2 hardwood ridges. I always figured the deer crossed the pit to get to the other ridge but now I'm not sure. I went to the pit this morning to speak with the property owner and he can't believe how many deer are in the pit during the night. He has opened a new area in the pit that looks like crushed white quartz and he says the deer love it. I walked around and he's right, the area is covered with deer tracks of different sizes. I'm wondering if he's started some type of huge mineral lick. I tasted the rock and it isn't salty, just kind of bitter. He said earlier in the summer when he first excavated the new site the moose were everywhere. He took a hunter during the moose season and got a young bull from the pit. There are still a few moose around the area but mostly deer. Anybody else got any thoughts on this or ran into this before. My youngest son got a nice 7 point, his first deer, yesterday morning off the hardwood ridge behind the pit. It was travelling with another buck and 3 does. All were heading away from the pit just after daylight. Guess I'll be haunting that pit after the owner is done this week.

·
Registered
119 Posts
i have no clue what it is but i hunted an area with a gravel pit and i would constantly see deer in it everytime i went out...even the odd time in the middle of the day...One day i shot a deer about half a kilometer past the pit and i had to drive through it after dark and shined my lights on the pit and there must have been 10 er 11 deer laying down on the rocks...dont ask me why lool

·
Registered
456 Posts
Might be a good bedding area for them? Somewhat sheltered from the wind because of it being lower, plus they can hear/see/smell whats around them 360 degrees before it gets to close where its so open, and there is usually water somewhere in gravel pit

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
The theory holds some truth. I've seen my biggest buck in a gravel pit about 10 years ago. I once saw 6 deer at high noon in the middle of same pit.

Moose in gravel....well, they just love the stuff.

I wonder if they go in the finer stuff to get a good pedicure....

·
Registered
5 Posts
I wonder if they bed ther at night to get heat from the rocks and sand as well??? rocks store alot of heat from the sun just another thought

·
Registered
634 Posts
Shot a nice buck in a pit back in 2000. Saw a bunch of does and rattled him right on top of a pile of grubings. Oh my god I actually wasn't sitting over apples!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts