New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are you seeing more deer this year at your stand or less.its a great time of the year enjoy.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not as many at the stand,but out on the bikes seem to be a little more around
There has been alot of hunters in my shop but it has mostly been bear talk, seeing more of them than anything, i don't get out to much just wondering whats going on out there, thanks pal.

·
Registered
10 Posts
ive been driving back and forth from moncton to grand falls, edmundston and st=stephen and i only seen 2 deers till now... is there less deer this season than the last year?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I haven't a clue about the general population around the province. I've watched a doe with 2 fawns and a doe with 1 fawn all summer long - in the back fields behind my house. Spent some really great times just sitting on the quad and having them eat within 20 yards for a good while. Great fun.

Still haven't seen a buck - or THE buck - but I'm hoping that since the does had fawns last year that daddy will show up again.

·
Registered
20 Posts
There are certainly less deer travelling in my area than last year however that can change in the next week or so. The deer that are around are not touching my bait (apples, crack corn, salt). Thety are walking right by it, does this make sense?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm definitely not seeing as many deer in my area as last year, which is surprising considering the nice winter we had last year. However, I'm not sure this means that the numbers are down.
The bear and coyote numbers are up in my area, which is likely making them more skiddish and secretive. I'm also wondering if the bear and coyote situation has driven them in to the safety of residential areas...feeding on gardens and whatnot. The bears and coyotes won't typically hang around residential areas, but the deer will, and I think they might be using quiet neighbourhoods as "safe spots".
I have been seeing some does and fawns pretty consistently, but I've only seen the bucks on opening day, then they vanished. Wish I knew where they went?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
i have been seeing less deer this year over last year!
but where i am hunting i see alot more of the coyotes!!!
they were some good numbers in the spring....but seem to have disappeared!
but i am not greedy...i only need 1
lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have been seeing less deer this year over last year!
but where i am hunting i see alot more of the coyotes!!!
they were some good numbers in the spring....but seem to have disappeared!
but i am not greedy...i only need 1
lol
Numbers must be down. Not many deer around at all.

·
Registered
35 Posts
At one time it was common to see deer all year long in feilds, crossing the roads, etc. I hardly ever see deer now any time of the year, where thay should be (in the wild). I'm no expert, but it seems to me that there is a continuing trend of less deer every year. I am now 42 years old and believe (hope I'm wrong) that I will see the day come where there is no deer hunting in NB. With more clear cutting taking place than ever before and an ever increasing predator population, I don't think that deer have a chance. They seem to have evolved and now live, for the most part, in the suburbs and small towns where they are safer.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Well it's not all doom and gloom as I'm seeing more this year, especially bucks than I have in the past few years. Before the guns started banging I could count upwards of 2 dozen every morning on the way to work and about 1/3rd of them had visible antlers on their heads. Had one lady call me looking for a bowhunter and said she had 16 in her yard most every day and three of them were shooter bucks
only problem was I couldn't get enough distance from other houses where she was as she was in a subdivision.
The coyotes have been a problem for me this year on our property here as we have had less fawns make it to season this year than last but I plan to rectify that this winter and next spring. As long as we have a good winter I expect great things for next year. The good news is that our buck to doe ratio is a little better this year than last and we have a good number of yearlings and two year olds that should make for a few more eligible shooters next year.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Been fortunate to have more time off this deer season than ever before. I've been hunting in zone 24 and 21 evenly. Been seeing some deer in zone 24, but zone 21 this year is terrible. At least the parts I'm hunting. I've tramped every bit of ground from Oak Point to Hampstead with some CFB Gagetown included and never have I seen it this poor. Kind of scary.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts