New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hi Guys and gals...
Just wanted any of you hunting in WMZ 16 to know that we started registering deer last year and will be doing the same thing again this year in Keswick Ridge at 1132, Rte. 616, just outside of Zealand on Keswick Ridge Road. Actually, this is convenient for us as well as for hunters in the area. We are open 9am until 8 pm weekdays and Saturday and closed on Sundays. Hunters who bag animals and want them registered during times when we are closed can check out registration stations in Millville, Estey's Bridge or Fredericton. In the recent past...many area registration stations had closed due to getting only one dollar for each registration and often, they were staffed by people who weren't into hunting and didn't know a doe from a buck...just worked there and were forced to take the time to register animals. We're fast and efficient in doing the registration for you...probably motivated by the big money we get for each registration...ha, ha!. Last year, we had only one complaint from a local lady who felt we should be open 24-7 because she didn't want to drive the twenty to thirty minutes to another station. This was on Sunday and after her tirade, she came by and registered "her" deer on Monday.I raised the issue of fee paid to registration agents for deer registration with DNR and their response was that if we were willing to take the lower jaw and collect/document biological info from each deer, they would pay us eight dollars extra per deer. Now. they tell us they can only allow one bio-check station in a specified area due to "cost" and their budget.
We found most hunters simply wanted to register their deer quickly and head for home and a hot meal! What do you prefer to do, register quickly or go through the "Bio" process which takes more time?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Personally I like going to a station that does biocheck. I think the info is important and I'm not in that big of a rush. Lots of times someone else is there registering and you get to look at other deer harvested and shoot the breeze with other hunters.

·
Banned
223 Posts
I hope to see you this fall P1!! With a big buck of course, or maybe a doe if things don't pan out on the big guy. Thanks for offering a service that was definitely lacking in the area. As for the biocheck, I am all for it. I also agree that the information collected is essential. I also like to guess the age of a deer and then compare to what they are scored via the jaws/teeth.

Best comment I have ever heard from the person registering my small 4 point (maybe 160 lbs tops) at a gas station registration. "So, what do you think that would weigh? I have to fill in this estimated weight section. I am going to say 210 lbs?"

hahaha. I did try to correct their estimate, but it was noted that they "just needed to fill something in." Too funny.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I am also a fan of biocheck and I would have no problem taking the extra time to get the deer registered with bio info attached.

However....

P1, this is a great post, but I have a feeling that the folks who don't want to take the time to go through the biocheck, are likely also the same people who don't want to take the time to respond to your post. I have a feeling that you're only going to get responses from deer hunters who care about ALL aspects of hunting...including better wildlife management decisions that are directly influenced by the data gained from biocheck stations.

Does anyone know if the deer registration station at TnG Convenience in Estey's Bridge is still operating this year? I know the ownership of the shop has changed, and I know that they are no longer doing the big-buck-challenge, but I haven't heard if they are still registereing deer or not. ?????

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
I would love to have a biocheck station up North, hear a lot about it, but haven't seen one around yet. All they do is a kwik register and away you go.

Northern zones 1 through 12 (the ones opened...) still account for a fair % of the harvest, it would be nice to have some more precise data on the animals harvest IMHO.

Pred 1, you floored me with the dollar fee! This is ridiculous!

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I would gladly let the biocheck happen on any deer that our small group of hunters harvest. Do you happen to know if there is a list of stations that do the biocheck. If I find one that is close to my area I may go there instead of the local snap a tag on it and get out of here spot.
I am going to check around on the DNR site

·
Registered
192 Posts
P1, do you get to see the results from the biological tests? It would be interesting to have excess to that info. Like others have stated, most places don't put much effort into the registration part of it. I think there has been alot of 200lb spikehorns recorded over the years.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I'm a big fan of hanging around the check station for no particular reason than another deer might come in for me to look at. A biocheck gives me an excuse to hang around a little longer, hell, if I'm at the check station then I got my deer so theres no place I need to be. Give me an excuse to hang out a little longer and I'll take it.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I just called DnR in Petticodiac and according to them they haven't been told what stations will be doing the biochecks but she said they should know by the 20th so I will call again next week

·
Registered
614 Posts
I've shot a truckload o' deer over the decades and never came across a biocheck yet. In fact, this is the first time I've ever even heard the term!
Not only would I not mind taking the extra time, I would humbly suggest that anyone in that much of a hurry has lost sight of a lot of the idea behind deer hunting.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
this is the first time I've ever even heard the term!
Not only would I not mind taking the extra time, I would humbly suggest that anyone in that much of a hurry has lost sight of a lot of the idea behind deer hunting.
agreed

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Didn't know you were registering them last fall cuz! If I did.. I would have brought my kill by!...But then again....I didn't kill anything!!!

This fall, I'll be sure and bring my "Giant" Male "Odocoileus Virginianus" specimen by for you to examine, weigh, measure, age register...and "drool" over!

I don't care how long it takes…if I have a "Buck" in my truck bed, I'm a "happy" camper!

·
Registered
925 Posts
I like the biochecks as well.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I've shot a truckload o' deer over the decades and never came across a biocheck yet. In fact, this is the first time I've ever even heard the term!
I agree aswell. I would do it if I had the option

·
Registered
90 Posts
Our Sportsman Club (Petitcodiac)participated in a deer jaw recovery(biocheck) a few years back, you just took the head in for the jaw to be removed and you were mailed the info and a pin for your participation. I'm all for it!

·
Registered
1,386 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Does anyone know if there is a deer registration station in Salisbury/Havelock ??
Every year there is one that sets up in an old building across the street from Charlie's Store in beautiful downtown Havelock, but I don't see it on the list for this year.
I hope it will be added to the list soon.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts