New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever cut trails,hooked on to major deer trails to direct deer into your area,tree stand etc.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have never intentionally tried to get deer to walk a trial, but when i was younger and hunting with my dad we made a tree stand that looked over a treed gully in between two cuts that the deer were travelling. We cut a small trail in away from where the deer were travelling through some thick softwoods. When we can back once the season had opened we found that the deer had shifted and started travelling out new path then down into the gully. The next year we made a blind on the opposite side of the gully watching our now well travelled path, and same thing, cut a small trail in to the blind, came back during deer season and they'd been using our new trail instead of the old one.
It seems from both my trails that you'd want it to be a trail that made going through a tough spot easier, or else they may not use it, and it would have to still be fairly well covered for them to feel safe.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have never intentionally tried to get deer to walk a trial, but when i was younger and hunting with my dad we made a tree stand that looked over a treed gully in between two cuts that the deer were travelling. We cut a small trail in away from where the deer were travelling through some thick softwoods. When we can back once the season had opened we found that the deer had shifted and started travelling out new path then down into the gully. The next year we made a blind on the opposite side of the gully watching our now well travelled path, and same thing, cut a small trail in to the blind, came back during deer season and they'd been using our new trail instead of the old one.
It seems from both my trails that you'd want it to be a trail that made going through a tough spot easier, or else they may not use it, and it would have to still be fairly well covered for them to feel safe.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply,i just cut some trails through a fur thicket to the meadow i sit on ,i think the deer were traveling around the meadow because the cover was too thick.I hope this will send some traffic my way next year.MERRY CHRISTMAS.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts