New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After doing a morning and evening hunt in two stands in my area, I am confused. The morning stand is where I expected to see a buck (it was coming in daily) and after not having any luck in the AM I tried a stand closer to a concentration of does for the PM. No deer sightings at all. Up until a week ago I was getting multiple pics every day of deer on my trail cam. After having no luck on Monday, I pulled the card from my camera and have not had a single deer appear in over a week. I have left the area alone (minimal scouting) so as to not turn them nocturnal. The last thing I expected was for the deer to vanish.

My theory is that bait is the cause. I know that there are three guys who hunt about a mile away that bait heavily prior to the gun season but I do not have permission to hunt that property.

What I want to know is if anyone else has a theory on what might be causing the sudden lack of deer.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have two cameras out and have deer and bears at each site every day does and bucks,the cameras are about half mile apart, the bigger buck travels back and forth every couple of days.must be just checking on ladies.Does are avoiding him i suspect as never togeather.He showed up other nite with a branch in antlers , must be frusterated.Hang in there they will be back.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi stilllearning. No sign of any bear around at all. I know that deer movement patterns change in October as the woods open up and food preferences change, but the area I am in has apple trees that are dropping apples and a 20 acre chopping with lots of browse close by (not sprayed). This is prime habitat for the fall, and I am just really surprised at the reduction in fresh sign around and wonder what might be the root cause.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The camera is set up in a thick area about 25 yrds from an apple orchard. I have put a small amount of apples in front of the cam to get some pics. Deer have been going for both (apples under the trees and apples at the camera. It is not just the camera though. A quick scout through the area shows that the fresh sign that I was seeing a week before browsed tips, droppings, tracks are all gone cold (unlike our weather). There is not much if any hunting pressure closer than 3/4 of a mile away.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have the same problem. I've had deer here all summer on the camera. The last three weeks or so everything has dried up. Not even a fresh track since the last rain. I've hunted the same property now 6 years and this is the first time this has happened. I don't know whats going on.

·
Registered
780 Posts
What else is around there for food? Any other fields, oak trees, beech nuts, etc.?

Deer aren't too tough to figure out...does and bucks both at this time of the year are eating ...lots. Any bear poop around?

·
Registered
263 Posts
No bear droppings, there are some blueberry fields about a mile away and guys bait them hard during gun season. Not much in the way of oaks and beech. I figure the baitng has started early this year, but I could be wrong. (I don't have permission to hunt there, so I can't go check it out) I am definitely leaning toward to changing food source just don't know what drew them all away so suddenly. Once the rut starts I expect a few more deer to start traveling through.

Good ol Boy - are you near agriculture? Maybe a local farmer planted something different this year or harvested the fields in a different order. That can really move the deer around a lot.

·
Registered
121 Posts
About 1 km from my place there is an old farm with many apple trees. Maybe they have moved there since the apples started falling. I have 1 acre planted in clover for them so maybe as the apples dissapear they will come back. I am going to leave my camera up and just leave the area alone for a week or two just in case i disturbed them. I don't think this is the case though since i cut some firewood (softwood) near by this summer and that didn't seem to bother them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts