New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out this week deer hunting. About 10 min. to last light I started back to my ATV. When I was about 200 yards away a saw something that caught my, I raised my glass to see, then a growl or roar it was close, no movement. So I thought bear. Instinct told me make noise I had a small buck saw with me so I tapped it on the stock of my rifle making a clanging sound. Nothing cam out I got on my ATV and drove back to the camp. My question is has anyone else experienced something like this?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was online listening to different tracks on black bear and cougar. Not a chance what I heard is a cougar.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't believe in UFO's, Vampires, Sasquatch and the last I heard Cougars are not in good old NB. So if you have any proof I would love to see it. I don't need to hear more stories of someones friend's uncle seen one.

·
Banned
223 Posts
I don't believe in UFO's, Vampires, Sasquatch and the last I heard Cougars are not in good old NB. So if you have any proof I would love to see it. I don't need to hear more stories of someones friend's uncle seen one.
Relax Birdman. I think we were all just yanking your chain. I know I was for sure!! Good luck on the mystery noise ID. Lots of other more common things will growl around a bit (bobcat, fisher, lynx, coyote).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well you heard wrong. There are cougars in NB. I've seen one, twice in 5 years. Hard to get a picture of.

G

·
Theres a neat report of a Sasquatch encounter online that occured at CFB Gagetown training area in the early 90's....verified by 20+ soldiers during interviews after. Down near South Boundry road by the Mortar Range.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I would guess it was a moose gruff. I've heard moose do that a couple times just in the past week. Very loud noise.

·
Registered
495 Posts
If there are no eastern cougar, why is there a law on the books specifically stating it is unlawfully to shoot a cougar in New Brunswick?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I like this topic better than the one I started. I don't believe the eastern cougar can exist. There is no evidence to support it, just stories, like 75lbs coyotes.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Once had a bear make what I would describe as a huffing or woofing sound. Surprised it in a fir thicket while trout fishing. I was also surprised lol.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Strange things happen in them there November woods

I seen a cougar just the other day chasing the neighbours house crat, he was coloured just like a german shepard
and barked like a dog but he moved like a big crat, other than his lack of tree climbing ability and his red collar.

In all seriousnes 2 sightings in the last 30 years not including the one the other day.

·
Registered
925 Posts
I would guess it was a moose gruff. I've heard moose do that a couple times just in the past week. Very loud noise.
Redtail could be right. I had a cow moose once with a calf run up onto this ridge. She made the loudest and strangest sound I had ever heard, almost like a roar. Almost wet my pants

·
Registered
289 Posts
If there are no eastern cougar, why is there a law on the books specifically stating it is unlawfully to shoot a cougar in New Brunswick?
I think it's a jealous Husband thing

Seriously though, they could pass a law tomorrow I suppose-- that we can't shoot Alligators, Polar Bears and Caribou couldn't they?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Probably a coyote or a bear. I work in the woods as Forest Tech and have had bears loudly woof at me and scare the crap out of me and my dog. As far as cougars go, I know they exist because I saw one not to far from the Becageguimic Lake on the JDI Road going towards Deersdale one day about 6yrs ago, but is was along way up the road. I saw the long tail as it left the road, when I got by that spot, there was fresh scat beside the road. Should have took it to be sampled by DNR.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts