New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I threw out the deer liver I shot last year, with the rest of the guts, because I didn't know any better. Well, I saved it this year, because they are supposedly good.

But, it stinks. The rest of the meat smells fine and I only shot the deer this morning. What gives? Is it just the liver's bile that smells raunchy? It's not spotted or anything, looks perfectly healthy.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I think I threw out the deer liver I shot last year, with the rest of the guts, because I didn't know any better. Well, I saved it this year, because they are supposedly good.

But, it stinks. The rest of the meat smells fine and I only shot the deer this morning. What gives? Is it just the liver's bile that smells raunchy? It's not spotted or anything, looks perfectly healthy.
Shouldnt smell bad. Did you paunch the shot or spill the guts open while dressing it out?? Heart tastes better in my book. Liver isnt bad tasting, I'm just cautious of how much I eat due to mercury toxins.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shouldnt smell bad. Did you paunch the shot or spill the guts open while dressing it out?? Heart tastes better in my book. Liver isnt bad tasting, I'm just cautious of how much I eat due to mercury toxins.
Shot it with buckshot, and some pellets did hit the guts.

I washed everything carefully and the liver itself was not hit . . . but probably I will chuck it. I ended up losing a lot of hte best meat.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Shot it with buckshot, and some pellets did hit the guts.

I washed everything carefully and the liver itself was not hit . . . but probably I will chuck it. I ended up losing a lot of hte best meat.
Another option is to soak it in salt water overnight. Myself, I wouldnt take the chance on it. Liver + paunch residue = a very sick Coach...What did you get for a deer?? Congratulations also!!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another option is to soak it in salt water overnight. Myself, I wouldnt take the chance on it. Liver + paunch residue = a very sick Coach...What did you get for a deer?? Congratulations also!!
Shot a pretty small button buck about 9:30 this morning. Jumped him at about 10 yards with a doe. Shot the buck thinking it was a doe (I had a doe tag). Used a single shot shotgun, and couldn't remember where my spare shells were when I had to reload, but the first shot did good enough a job that I had time to find which pocket they were in. Had to cut his throat to kill him, though - two shells to the neck didn't end his life quick enough for me.

I would have liked a bigger deer with a bigger rack, but after 6 days of sitting in the cold and rain
(some days this week were just brutal and I hunted at least 4 hrs every day) I was ready to take what I could get. I have lots of other stuff to hunt anyway. Was just tracking down some geese before the deer season opened and I want to get back to that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts