New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys and gals...
One of the great joys of a winter deer feeding program for me and my family has been the opportunity to observe the animals (in their own natural setting) and how they act and react to different stimuli and situations. When I was a much younger hunter, I believed that the dominant buck in an area was the biggest bodied buck with the biggest rack...but over the years and with a good chance to study and observe them, I now question that idea. I've seen smaller bucks with smaller racks actually chase off bucks that were much bigger bucks...and on numerous occasions. We have had huge bucks come in and feed right along side smaller bucks while a medium sized buck would chase off every other buck in the area when he'd arrive on the scene. On a couple of occasions, we've had a doe in estrous come in while several bucks were there and although she'd be chased about by several of the bucks, it was always the most aggressive buck who ended up with the doe after he'd confront and chase off the others. So...in your opinion,is it temperament or size that determines who is "king of the hill?" Of course, we all know that with no "king" around, any young buck in the area of a hot doe might get the chance to stand around grinning after the fact and smoke a cigarette!

·
Registered
495 Posts
I don't think it is always he biggest, but I do think its the baddest.

Bucks stand off, and the one with the most strength and stamina us usually the victor. I think just like humans, the older bucks 'ain't what they used to be' Get older lose stamina, lose strength. Experience only goes so far, but when its time to put hoof to ass, I think the buck in its prime has the advantage over one that has passed its prime. I believe they have more agility, faster recovery time, faster reflexes, etc...

·
Registered
57 Posts
In my opinion the most agressive buck is the dominant buck...just like in people,the biggest guy isn't always the toughest!!

·
Registered
925 Posts
Definitely the most aggressive one as long as he has some size. I had lanky 3 year old in last year that had a smallish 7 point rack but he had some serious attitude. He was the boss man.

·
Registered
780 Posts
It's not the size of the dog in the fight.......it's the size of the fight in the dog!

I even think your concept of dominance is a bit outdated. Who gets the food or the doe is all about the most aggressive guy there at that time. There may be a more dominant buck in the neighborhood, but if he's off breeding another doe, doesn't much matter if he's the big boy now does it? Or two big boys may be fighting while a 4 pointer is breeding miss cutie. Most of the latest study on who is the sire of twin and triplet fawns says a full 25% of twins and triplets have DIFFERENT sires! That means during the 24 hours the doe is in heat, several bucks have bred her.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I agree with Axeman and apparently he watched deer and deer hunting last week LOL

·
Registered
404 Posts
It is definitly not always the bigest nicest looking buck . as with all animals you will observe either domestic or wild it comes down to the animal present with the highest average of agressiveness/ stamina/gentics/ and ofcourse phisical ability. and all that has nothing to do with a prietty head gear.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I wish I could get it...... but all I have is country cable (CBC/CTV) and I absolutely refuse to watch the left-wing propaganda machine. I have much better things to do with my time...like bowhunting!!

·
Registered
797 Posts
I agree with everyone on size don't matter, i have studied this personally in the past, yup done many studies during my early twenties in the forests called The Rockin Rodeo-and Sweetwaters where i my massive 5'9 1/2 foot frame and all 170 lb soakin wet scared off alot of larger bucks by shear aggressiveness and loud grunting and cursing..RR

·
Registered
411 Posts
I agree with everyone on size don't matter, i have studied this personally in the past, yup done many studies during my early twenties in the forests called The Rockin Rodeo-and Sweetwaters where i my massive 5'9 1/2 foot frame and all 170 lb soakin wet scared off alot of larger bucks by shear aggressiveness and loud grunting and cursing..RR
Ha Ha LoL!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts