New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put apples out on wendsday and hunted them all day with no results. i went back in on friday to get the extra bag of apples to move to my other stand and the apples were still on the ground not touched, this makes me worry. i took the bag and dumped a large amount of them in my original stand i had just built this summer on fri night and am going to check them tonight as well as put some more out but i hope when i go in tonight there are some tracks in at them. if not i am going to be left wondering if all the deer in the area have been taken. at this point i am ready to shoot the frist thing i see. if nothing comes in this week i am considering moving...anyone know a good spot in zone 23 to bag a doe??? haha.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Contrary to popular belief, dumping apples on the ground will not guarantee deer will come to them. If they don't normally roam that area, apples won't change that. If there's lots of other natural food around, again, your apples may not impact their normal feed pattern. Better to find where they are moving, between feeding area and bedding area then place a stand and if you still think you need bait, then add that too. Generally, once you find where they"re traveling, you should start seeing them as long as they don't smell or see you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've been applin' a spot for several weeks. During the first week they were all eaten. Nice and clean, no scraps left. I put another bag on the ground and they sat there for 3 weeks. NOT a THING. Then suddenly, this past Friday. I walk to the blind in that wind and rain, it was 3:30 in the afternoon. I peer around the tree by my blind and there's a doe eating the apples. Wild.

Actually, bro in law and I hunted near Memramcook all day yesterday in that bad weather and saw a total of 7 deer, including one buck - didn't get a shot on him. Today, again in the crap weather, spotted doe with 2 fawns.

So a bit off topic I guess. Just saying, sometimes you never know... I still have yet to see a buck in the scope - but it's still fun.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts