New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last few years, I've been playing around with a Stealth Cam, one of the units with a Flash. It takes great pictures, but over the course of the time I've been using it, I've only gotten 1 picture of a buck in it, and his head was down chasing some does, so I think I could have gotten his picture if I was standing at the tree with a Chicken Suit on. In the same period of time, I've got hundreds, probably even thousands of pictures of Does, Fawns, Bears, Raccoons, etc, etc. This past winter we went out and bought an IR unit to see if that changes things. So far we haven't had it out (I know, we're slackers), but I'm wondering if you think the results will be different?

·
Registered
634 Posts
More then likely it's the sounds your unit makes that scare deer. I disabled the shutter noise on all of my cameras except for a few taht have a small extending zoom lens and I know for sure that it made a big difference.

Also it's not the flash but rather the flash pop noise that probably scare some deer.

I have deer bedding down in front of my flash cameras

·
Registered
925 Posts
Some bucks might not be back but others will pose all night for ya.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Agree with NB Bucks deer like people are all different, some it scares and some will pose. The flash is a little more startling to them than the IR,I think but whoever said they couldn't see IR when it goes off hasn't watched them when it does and it isn't the noise becasue mine are totally silent when they trigger.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can definitely tell when the IR Takes a picture, but it's not lighting up the woods the way the flash did. Thanks for the input guys. The camera seems totally silent to me, but maybe with those big ol' ears it's not quite silent? heh.

Maybe there's just not many bucks around there, but where are all these fawns coming from?

·
Registered
263 Posts
I think BT and nbbucks are right. It depends on the deer. As for IR being seen by deer. Take a look at this. This camera makes no noise. ( I even held it up to my ear and triggered it to test) The deer saw the IR array and got very nervous.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Hunter. I think that might do more to prove my theory that the flash has been keeping the bucks away from the camera. That buck in your video saw the IR panel, and was skittish of coming any closer, so if there was a camera flash he'd likely have seen it from much further away and stopped.

A question about IR and videos. When the IR camera takes a night picture, you can see the panel turn red for a second when it takes the picture (red on our camera, not sure about others), which is what the deer saw in your post. When you're taking a video, does the panel stay lit up and activated for the duration?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I usually have my cameras set to record a video with each picture and sometimes deer do get nervous but they rarely run away. In my experience it is difficult to get the same buck to consistently come to one camera/bait site (especially a mature one). The same does will come to the same pile of apples daily. I have had several mature bucks come to a pile of apples once and then not return until three or four weeks later or never at all. I don't believe they were scared of the cameras, just different priorities.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I am pretty sure the red glow stays on while the video is recording. Note - I have had a spike that has stayed over an hour at a time in front of the camera getting video after video. Also, two coyotes who have seen the IR array have bolted like they were shot with a gun.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know this is kind of contradictory to what some others post on here, but as far as I'm concerned, I'm done with my flash camera. As I mentioned, we've been using it for 4 seasons now, and had only gotten that one picture of a buck on it, along with thousands of pictures of does. Since the week before rifle season with the IR model, we've gotten a picture of a nice young even 8, a 6, and a 4 pointer. Sure, it may be a coincidence that we're having this kind of luck with the photos, but I don't think so. Almost all of the pics were well after dark, but since we had the camera set up directly behind the camp for that week (you can see the camp in the pictures), we won't be shooting those deer any way. It's too much fun to watch 8 or 10 does and fawns on the lawn to start scaring them away

1 - 11 of 11 Posts