New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey just was wondering if anyone has experienced this before.When I was 18, I shot my first deer.It was when there wasnt a gender specific tag and we were allowed to shoot does.Without getting into a long drawn out story, I shot the deer thought it was a doe, but went to retrieve it and found a 2 point antler still in velvet on one side.Flipped it over to field dress it but it was definetly was a doe.Just curious if anyone else has seen this before?

·
Banned
116 Posts
Hey just was wondering if anyone has experienced this before.When I was 18, I shot my first deer.It was when there wasnt a gender specific tag and we were allowed to shoot does.Without getting into a long drawn out story, I shot the deer thought it was a doe, but went to retrieve it and found a 2 point antler still in velvet on one side.Flipped it over to field dress it but it was definetly was a doe.Just curious if anyone else has seen this before?
I have seen several Does with antlers, they are legal to shoot, as long as the antlers are vis
ible

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Here is a antlered doe pic from last year...

And here she is this year, Notice that she has an antler on the opposite side this year and the left one is broken off...

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is a antlered doe pic from last year...

And here she is this year, Notice that she has an antler on the opposite side this year and the left one is broken off...

Awesome pics thanks, so I can put it to rest with my buddys that I am not crazy....lol...well kinda....lol.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Here is one on my buddies stand site...

·
Registered
925 Posts
Yes sir, my Father shot one years ago and I also seen one in December one year. Hers were still covered in velvet.

·
Registered
323 Posts
About 10 or so years ago, I was sitting on this ridge and I looked over and 4-5 deer were walking in a row, parallel to me. I looked them all over and noticed spikes on one and and shot it. The animal dropped and to my surprise the horns were in velvet and lo and behold, a doe was lying at my feet!

This was the first and only doe that I have come across with horns but have heard it is quite common.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts