New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
What craziness! I snare rabbits, but I always make them away from any roads or trails and too tiny for dogs. I am giving it up though, I think. Just too much bad press, plus I'd rather hunt!

·
Registered
726 Posts
Funny how their are very "vague" facts about this.

Where was the trap placed? Legally?

Trap was thought to be a conibear. I think you would know if it was or not. There isnt a non-trapper out there that would know how to release a conibear trap. NONE

My opinion. If the dog is at large (illegally) then I'm glad its dead. Dogs kill more deer in this province than most hunters think. Its always Coyotes in their mind. Fact is pet dogs chase deer all the time, then the deer ends up dying from exhaustion. I've seen dogs chasing deer with my own eyes and YES if I had the opportunity to kill the dog I WOULD HAVE.

Alot of people cut their dogs loose at night to "run" when no one can see them.

If you think dogs chasing deer isnt a problem then contact DNR and ask them. They'll fill you in.

·
Banned
223 Posts
Well I am not quick to stand up for the trapper. Additional info seems that the dog was close to a public campground and that the trap was placed within 15 feet of a road. Sounds like a lazy trapper giving others a bad rep. As far as the dog being on leash or not, well I have to agree that the dog "should" have been on a leash. But like many others on here I often run my dog off leash on voice commands as many other hunters do, but I am not saying all do this. I have stumbled over others traps before with little warning or marking that a trap was there. What would be the issue with an orange band or sign post put in place to mark a designated area for trapping or for each specific trap? What if this was put in place for just conibears and not snares? Looking for opinions, and I imagine I will get a few.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Well I am not quick to stand up for the trapper. Additional info seems that the dog was close to a public campground and that the trap was placed within 15 feet of a road. Sounds like a lazy trapper giving others a bad rep. As far as the dog being on leash or not, well I have to agree that the dog "should" have been on a leash. But like many others on here I often run my dog off leash on voice commands as many other hunters do, but I am not saying all do this. I have stumbled over others traps before with little warning or marking that a trap was there. What would be the issue with an orange band or sign post put in place to mark a designated area for trapping or for each specific trap? What if this was put in place for just conibears and not snares? Looking for opinions, and I imagine I will get a few.
Why no markers answer is simple. THIEVES!! There is one bottom line question to this incident. Who was breaking the law? The trapper or the dog owner? By the sounds of things I would say the dog owner.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Wow the first comment gave me a good laugh, apparently were uncivilized to hunt and were acting like were in the 1800's hahahaha. And i guess this guy lets his kids run rampid in the woods by itself hahahah

check it out ...

"Trapping in this day and age is ridiculous. Someone mentioned that if it helped put food on someone's table than so be it..? I don't think so, just how much money do you think they make at "trapping" and selling fur? We don't live in the 1800's anymore. Time to start living like civilized people. What if it was a child running in the woods? If you want to trap make sure to put a signs next to it or something, (it's not like animals can read signs) because leaving traps just about anywhere in the woods and hoping an animal sets it off is ludacris. AND it doesn't matter how far in the woods and how far it was from a road, it's just dumb. period. one day it will be the trapper who forgot his where his trap was and will get his leg caught in it, and it will be too bad so sad and I'm sure it has already happened at some point. By Wrecked 7"

·
Registered
614 Posts
I'm saddened that this woman killed her own dog by breaking two laws - screwing with someone's traps, which is illegal in NB, and letting her dog run free in the woods, also illegal.
(That being said, is there any species that can legally be trapped in January using a killing trap? I don't know the trapping laws well. Just wondering? I thought they were all holding traps at thsi time of year but not sure.)

G

·
Why no markers answer is simple. THIEVES!! There is one bottom line question to this incident. Who was breaking the law? The trapper or the dog owner? By the sounds of things I would say the dog owner.
nbguide, I can see the thieves issue. Just curious as to how bad does this get now?

I am going by the speculation that the trap was set 15' from a road. What if a regulation was put in place the same as NS. No trapping within 15 m of a road.

I know, I know, more laws. No one seems to be handing out more common sense, so I think laws are here to stay.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something and please correct me if I did miss something. The article says she and her dog were walking in the woods, not on a trail, dog was off leash and the trap (a conibear) was set in the woods outside of when it was allowed to be set. Shouldn't be any "Big" conibears out one dry land after Deceber 31st. Both parties seem to be breaking the law and each can take some blame.

If it was a campground, buddy was trapping to close to start with.

The last thing I'd do is put a marker near sets, I regularly lost 6-12 traps every year to thieves when I was trapping heavy. I had one "activist" lady steal three. Saw her walking in the area prior to losing them. Then when they went missing I looked at the tracks since there was snow on, small size 7's pointy toe'd boots, and found a hair sample where she ducked under a branch, long black and curly. Called DNR and gave them the info. He paid said lady a visit. She admitted to taking them. She had no qualms about it but she was really ticked and embarrassed by getting caught.

She had to go with DNR and recover my traps, #330 conibears, and then DNR brought them back to me. She never got charged but she didn't take any more of mine

Is there provincial ATV/Snowmobile trails? The snowmobile trails here are all across private ground.

·
Registered
329 Posts
The report says the incident happened last week which likely was before the 31st of December. If so the trap should have been legal. In the interview with the DNR guy they apparently did not make the exact date clear.

Walking in the woods almost always means on a trail through a wooded area. Very very few people go walking dogs off trail in the woods. The trapper probably did set too close to the trail but may not have known people walk dogs there.

I put more onus on the trapper to keep his traps farther away from walking trails.

·
Registered
411 Posts
According to the original article in the t&t they were on a trail. Also she said, {the owner}, the dog ran off the trail into the woods, no mention of how far.

·
Registered
726 Posts
nbguide, I can see the thieves issue. Just curious as to how bad does this get now?

I am going by the speculation that the trap was set 15' from a road. What if a regulation was put in place the same as NS. No trapping within 15 m of a road.

I know, I know, more laws. No one seems to be handing out more common sense, so I think laws are here to stay.
Do you really think another 30' would make a difference (15m - 15 feet roughly 30 feet)? I'm not for making a new law so someone BREAKING the law can continue doing so without consequences. Dog owner broke the law and their was swift justice because of it.

A dog thats cut free to run does just that RUN.

I think the article is very vague in everything. DNR comments, type of trap used, Date it happened, Measured distance and location. Was this really INVESTIGATED or just going by what this lady has said? Was the dead dog actually seen? Was the trapper identified? Was the trap recovered?

Lots of questions about these things. Not good for the reporter's review if I have all kinds of questions after the article was written. Reporter, go investigate then do your article.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Shouldn't be any "Big" conibears out one dry land after Deceber 31st. Both parties seem to be breaking the law and each can take some blame.
Actually Bowtech you cant use Conibears for bobcats after Dec. 31. Doesnt say anything about dry land. Still use them for Beaver, Otter, Muskrats, Mink. It didnt say it was a 330 either. Couldve been a 220. Might have been a stream right there also. Mink sets can be on the ground within 3 meters from waters edge. 220 is overkill for mink but might be used like a universal trap for otter running the banks also.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
That is what I was implying NBG, "on land" ie away from the water, they can't be out there for bobcat after the 31st. I didn't say it was a #330, didn't know what it was that was why I put "Big" conibear as you still could have some out for mink etc close to a brook. I wasn't thinking about otter but you could have a larger conibear on the bank for one and it still be legal. I think you would have a hard time justifying a #220 or bigger to DNR if it was set any great distance away from the waters edge.

·
Registered
90 Posts
There is no law that your dog has to be on a leash on public land when you are present, you just can't let your dog out the back door and say have at it. That said, it is the dog owners responsibility to keep their animal safe, which would include not walking it where their could be traps. If the traps were legally set then it is the dog owners fault, if it was not, well then it is the trappers fault. It really is that simple.

·
Registered
138 Posts
WOW ... NBG Your really taking this to heart.... So when I take my retriever out hunting ducks he should be leashed.... Or if he jumps out of the truck loose in your neck of the woods your going to shoot him right.....Sounds like you got it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Apparently all of these people that commented have never seen a dog or several dogs chase and kill a deer,I have and let me tell you that you have an awful distaste for dog owners who allow their dogs to run.Also ,, MOST trappers will set ethically in a area rich in fur but low on traffic but one rotten apple will often spoil a whole barrell. Outdoor sports such as hunting and trapping are already under scrutiny as it is so why would any responsible outdoorsman operate in a manner that would draw heat to the sport he/she loves.But there are always a few who will shoot near houses and trap in areas that may be legal but common sense should dictate not a good spot. Please do not take this out of context but this is my opinion

·
Registered
409 Posts
There is no law that your dog has to be on a leash on public land when you are present, you just can't let your dog out the back door and say have at it.
Winchey not singlin you out or anything...

In NS there is a law that any off leash dog in a wildlife habitat is considered AT LARGE with the exception of hunting dogs being hunted and working dogs.
I'm with NB Guide on this...dogs at large kill deer as well as livestock.
Cats shouldn't be overlooked either,they get their share of small game and game birds among other things.
I have had dogs most of my life not many of them know "off leash" unless under direct supervision and they would NOT be out of sight or control.
NONE of them were ever "at large"

·
Registered
90 Posts
Winchey not singlin you out or anything...

In NS there is a law that any off leash dog in a wildlife habitat is considered AT LARGE with the exception of hunting dogs being hunted and working dogs.
I'm with NB Guide on this...dogs at large kill deer as well as livestock.
Cats shouldn't be overlooked either,they get their share of small game and game birds among other things.
I have had dogs most of my life not many of them know "off leash" unless under direct supervision and they would NOT be out of sight or control.
NONE of them were ever "at large"
We live in NB, what does that have to do with anything I said? The chances of "any" dog catching a deer is slim and nill unless it is a very young fawn or already sick or injured, or the snow is packed in such a way as to let the dog run on top while the deer sinks, even then it is slim. The chances of your average pet owner having such a dog that is determined enough to run a deer into the next county and then actually having the balls to take it down are also very slim. The problem is people who let their dogs run free with no supervision, left to their own devices many will act as wild dogs and do what wild dogs do. I would like to see some stats that indicate an occurence of someones dog taking down a deer while out on a daily off leash walk.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts