New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
101 - 117 of 117 Posts
Actually utopiahunter, you were the one saying that you would spend 50 cents on a dog. I asked you to put that in context. Don't ride on KPR's coattails. Atleast what KPR recommended wasn't illegal. That guy will argue all day about black vs. white vs. off shade of bloody gray. A dog is off leash, off leash by a deer, dog gets distracted by a deer, bolts at a deer, chases (and is unresponsive) at a deer, is eating a deer's a$$? You are the one saying you would shoot people's dogs, so explain yourself then.

I recommend anyone go to DNR ask about upland training with a dog that is off leash in a resort of wildlife being crown land or private. If you get a different response than I did, well that is ambiguity in the enforcement of the law. They will tell you that you don't need a permit as long as your dog is responsive, obeys and has call back.

linnie, thanks for rounding up all the one sentence wonders. Maybe they can elaborate a little more on what context they would need to shoot a dog. See description I listed above. Last thing we need is more trigger happy yokels running around being judge and jury.

By the way linnie, are you putting gas on the fire or just fanning the flames?

You guys are being awful hard on the guy. Most trial dog owners would be considered irresponsible dog owners according to KPR considering most of the setters are running outside of direct control. Was at a trial one day and one of the setters didn't come back till the end of the day. Many are lucky to stay within bell range, not a great gun dog IMO but that's what they want in a trial dog.

I'm also an irresponsible dog owner as I never leash my dog (lab) when on my own ground, out in the field or on the tractor all day. I even let her run after squirrels or the odd rabbit when out for tromps through the bush. She even goes with me cutting wood and roams around within earshot but I don't pay much attention to her and she even got into a porky this winter because of it. Bad Bowtech
She'll stop on command and come on command and doesn't just take off so I'm not too concerned about her running "at large". When we're hunting she works close on upland birds and when duck hunting she's always right there.

I had english pointers for a few years and always had a lab or two but no pup is ever trained without learning what he/she is and isn't supposed to run and it would be a rarity if you ever trained one from start to finish without it getting onto something it wasn't supposed to. You can break them of it but to say that it never ran anything, even for a minute or two before you actually realized it was on a rabbit instead of a bird...lets not be too idealistic.

I think most bird dog or hound owners are pretty responsible people. I don't think anyone wants to see a dog running wild chasing big game nor would most dog owners allow it.

I recommend anyone go to DNR ask about upland training with a dog that is off leash in a resort of wildlife being crown land or private. If you get a different response than I did, well that is ambiguity in the enforcement of the law. They will tell you that you don't need a permit as long as your dog is responsive, obeys and has call back.
Are you saying the information you received is that in practice they never bother to issue permits
Or that you only need them if your dog isn't responsive, doesn't obey or doesn't have callback?

I never said that I would break the law it just so happens it costs 50 cents a minute to make a call on my cell...
but im telling anyone on here one thing if my dog was out chasing deer she'd be in a better place and I think the world of her.Mans best friend.but they have instincts and have to be trained if used in a resort of wildlife... ENd of story trained not just left to roam free and do as they like.

BTW water runner I ride on no ones shirt tail i was just saying eariler that outher like minded people on this subject better explained the thought process behind not letting your dog chase deer.or letting your pet run of unsupervised for any length of time.

My neighbore used to have a dog that got himself into all kinds of trouble; defacate on peoples steps/eat my dogs food while mine was tied/ roam around in the barn at night/killed a few of our barn cats ;funny thing is ,just vanished into thin air/not sure what he's doing now.
one thing is sure it's never the dogs fault, (just irresponsible owners like him that keep there pets tied all day then let them roam all night when they think no one sees them ) But the dog will get his sentence just the same.

"Many are lucky to stay within bell range, not a great gun dog IMO but that's what they want in a trial dog." Not trying to start another argument here and you are right. Some of the venues are looking for the extreme, it is about extreme style, speed desire. They want a dog that will brave the depths of hell to find that one bird. The dogs don't only have to find birds but they have to look the best doing it, work the country and go to places likely to hold birds and always be ahead. It is not "all" about shooting birds for many of them. It is about the dog work. There is no right or wrong and it's not for everyone, differnt strokes. It is relatively easy to shoot a bunch of birds over a reasonably bred dog when the birds are there, it is much more difficult to win a big trial. Some people like a dog that works close that you can shoot a ton of birds over, others get off on walking over a ridge to barely make out that statue, pretty as a picture nearly hidden in the cover after trying to find that bell that stopped 15 minutes ago with the bird still pinned. I like to compare it to racing, anyone can drive a rally car through a course, it is much harder to do it faster than anyone else with out going in the ditch. Anyway's there is no right or wrong, some people just want to kill birds, others like this sort of thing and others like something inbetween, like I said, "different strokes" no right or wrong. This wasen't intended to start another argument, and I can assure you this in another circular one that has been debated many times and there is never a winner.

"I agree but..."most" would also read the law as it is written and realize where they fit in there instead of trying to sidestep it or argue they didn't and that it had no merit whatsoever."

How in the hell do you know where I stand.

Have you ever broken the speed limit? Littered? How often did you get beat up in the school yard? You remind me of one of those cops who gives tickets for not stopping for what they consider long enough at a stop sign. You are just another fool with a cause, very dangerous combination.

"I agree but..."most" would also read the law as it is written and realize where they fit in there instead of trying to sidestep it or argue they didn't and that it had no merit whatsoever."
How in the hell do you know where I stand.
You remind me of one of those cops who gives tickets for not stopping for what they consider long enough at a stop sign.
"How in the hell do you know where I stand."

You've posted it numerous times throughout this thread.

Once again tho....
You just indicated that a stop sign to you doesn't mean ...stop...at least in your mind.
It's not a "Slow Down" sign,
its not a "Yeild" sign it's a "STOP" sign
red/eightsides/four white letters/pretty universally accepted = S T O P

Def...from Merriam Webster
Stop...a : to arrest the progress or motion of : cause to halt <stopped the car>
I suspect you'll argue the meaning or "arrest" now

Abraham Lincoln: "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"

"How in the hell do you know where I stand."

You've posted it numerous times throughout this thread.

Once again tho....
You just indicated that a stop sign to you doesn't mean ...stop...at least in your mind.
It's not a "Slow Down" sign,
its not a "Yeild" sign it's a "STOP" sign
red/eightsides/four white letters/pretty universally accepted = S T O P

Def...from Merriam Webster
Stop...a : to arrest the progress or motion of : cause to halt <stopped the car>
I suspect you'll argue the meaning or "arrest" now

Abraham Lincoln: "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"
I said stop for long enough, get a life.

101 - 117 of 117 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.