New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I collect firearms and have heard for awhile now about an affordable double barreled rifle made by baikal. There was only one gun dealer in canada that had a few of them last year out in BC, but finally there's someone selling them here. While I was checking out the coyote contest on the gun dealers website I happened to stumble across a double barreled 45-70 in the big game gun section for only $999. It looks to be well made and if it shoots like any other baikal that i've shot,it should be an awesome gun for the price. They also make an over under double rifle in 30-06,and a variety of combination guns[rifle over shotgun] in 3-4 different gauges and calibers.I will definatly be buying the 45-70 for the fall for something different to take to the woods. Look out big bucks there's 300grains of pain coming your way....

·
Registered
627 Posts
That's a lot of gun for whitetails but to each his own. Should be awesome for moose. Quick follow-up shot if necessary. Have to take a look at it. Any idea what it weighs?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I carried a Baikal 16 ga double for years, but when I shot a few boxes of clays for practice, the gun became very loose. I won't buy another.

·
Registered
431 Posts
BTT

I would be interested in finding if this is a decent rifle to buy.
Sounds pretty cheap considering there are other doubles that start at $4000++ up to 10s of thousands

Anyone have 1 or shoot 1???
Are you getting what you pay for and not in a good way???
Cannot find alot of reviews on-line so I'm asking here
I think it would be an awesome rifle of bear when hunting from a tree stand

·
Registered
289 Posts
BTT

I would be interested in finding if this is a decent rifle to buy.
Sounds pretty cheap considering there are other doubles that start at $4000++ up to 10s of thousands

Anyone have 1 or shoot 1???
Are you getting what you pay for and not in a good way???
Cannot find alot of reviews on-line so I'm asking here
I think it would be an awesome rifle of bear when hunting from a tree stand
It's only my opinion, and I have never shot the Baikal but I was interested in double rifles a few years back and did quite a bit of research.

Im sorry to say I think you have answered your own questions with the second line of your post.

It's true that a lot of the cost of a traditional double rifle comes from the amount of engraving and the blank for the stock (think English walnut at $1000 min) and premium barrels (2 of them) ..... But the real cost is in the handiwork in getting 2 barrels on the same action to throw bullets into the same spot. Regulating the barrels is time consuming specialty work. the barrels are not parallel to each other simply hitting an inch or so apart .... The center of gravity is down the rib and not the center of the barrel, during recoil the bullets will spread -- the right barrel will tend to roll to the right, left barrel to the left --- so if they were (parallel) they would spread wildlly and this spread would increase as the distance did. So they have to be manufactured with a slight convergence that is painstaking to tune. Add to this that heavier and or slower loads will spin wider and faster loads or lighter projectiles will spread more inwards and it becomes clear that even the $10k rifles you refer to are finicky. This is .less of an issue for a reloader .... But even once everything is working like you'd like to have things and assume they are striking extremely close at a given distance it is impossible for keep the bullets traveling parallel .... At some point the point of impact will cross.

I mean it's not like much more than a basketball size group at 50 yards for the practical hunting use of a large bore double rifle. That doesn't seem like a lot to ask for but I'd certainly never buy any double without actually shooting it

Baikal firearms have never blown my skirt up .... But they are reasonably priced utilitarian firearms. They've kept their material and labor costs down and given us a few choices that are an excellent value.... But I can't imagine how this environment has found a way around the shoot .... Move and re weld the barrels, shoot again repeat etc till the barrels are regulated.

Considering what the folks in this thread are looking for is a large bore stand gun for bears or a brush buster ..... There are many options available that are cheaper and well tested like the guide gun, a slug gun etc.

If anyone picks one of these up I'd be interested to find out how they make out however.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Thank-you Bradley that's exactly the information I was looking for, well described and explained

For the $1000 the gun dealer is asking for a Baikal I could get a BLR in 450 marlin or a Marlin in 45-70

better guns for the $$ I think

But still doesn't satisfy that itch for a classic double rifle

·
Registered
259 Posts
There is a dealer in Ontario, that may be able to satisfy your itch for a classic double rifle. google tradeex canada.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts