New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out with my brother in law. We had tonnes of chances, but he only got one sea duck and I only brought home two wood ducks. We sneaked up on a flock of about 6 wood ducks and I'm PRETTY sure I got 4 with my first three shots. Trouble is, several of them sank and didn't come back up . . . pretty hard to retrieve those. But it sure was fun shooting!

·
Registered
571 Posts
Ducks don't sink bud they dive and come up out of site. Different ducks do different things when wounded.

Woodies seem to stay in the water when hit ,woodies will dive and swim with just there Beaks above the water surface ( Running with just there periscope I always called it) and you must look carefully as they usually do not get up on shore, if you have no dog watch for wakes in the water and be patient and look hard for them.

Teal usually just sit there stunned and don,t seem to travel far when hit.( Right PJ)

With Blacks and Mallards,they will not stay in the water very long if they are able and almost always head to shore on the opposite side of the shore that you are usually on, they will get right up on dry land and get in the grass or brush usually 25 to 30 yards from the waters edge.

Ring necks and Whistlers will dive as soon as they get the cobwebs out of there heads after hitting the water so be ready to Smashem quickly again if necessary. Especially with Whistlers as they are buggers to kill,(and both will also go on periscope mode). Whistlers head out to open water just as fast as they can Swimm so either shoot again or get the dog on them quick or launch the boat. Ring necks are the only duck that I believe will either tangle them self's up in vegetation under water or get in or under Muskrat houses rather than come up in some circumstances. I have seen a few blacks try this but not often.
I have heard but in 30 years I have not seem a ring neck holding it self down with it's bill on vegetation.
Most good ducks dogs will drive there heads under water when pursuing a duck as most times ducks dive as a last ditch resort to get away from a pursuing dog. It is something most all ducks try to do just as a dog grabs them....
hope this helps

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ducks don't sink bud they dive and come up out of site. Different ducks do different things when wounded.
I dunno - my brother in law shot one of them point blank when it came up in front of him and I figured it was too shot up too float. Maybe not. It had nowhere to come up without us seeing it, though, and it was certainly dead. But he was going to go back in a while to see if it had surfaced and floated to shore so maybe he found it later.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Black ducks will sometimes dive and hold onto vegetation under the water,I have seen this while jump shooting blacks along the sea shore during low tide.... I shot a black as he jumped up out of a pond, when he hit the water he dove under,I walked up to where he went under and there he was holding onto a piece of seaweed in about two feet of water.

·
Registered
456 Posts
A dead duck wont sink period, ducks are made to float, especially puddle ducks.Ive seen teal dive but usually its a half dive with their tail feathers sticking up, or they will dive and pop uo 5 feet away all disoriented. Ive seen ducks dive and get wrapped up in weed or wood and drown probably not on purpose, and for not the dog sticking his head under and bringing it up or me walking around to look for it and seeing it just under the surface they d be gone. Ive seen ducks, mostly ringnecks, dive then when you are about to say the hell with it they float up dead 50-100 yrds down from where you last saw them, my guess is they stay under trying to get away just a bit to long and either drown or die from the shot and then float up, have had this happen 3 times just this year, nail one, he dives no where to be seen for almost 10 minutes then see it floating deader than a door knob on the other side of the pond. Lung shot ducks will also fly like they ahvnt been hit until they just drop out of the sky dead, i always watch a duck after ive fired. I fired at a black duck last week in a beaver pond, i knew i hit but watched it fly almost 400 yrds getting lower into the trees and then out of site, dog found him 15 minutes later stone dead in the middle of the woods

1 - 6 of 6 Posts