New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi I kinda got out of the loop for a while.. And need a little help with my bow.
I have a bear grizzly recurve, at 50#. I have a 28 inch draw. I forget how to test my string to see if it is at the right poundage at 28 inchs.. I think I need a vice and a scale but not sure how to do it.....

·
Registered
411 Posts
Hi I kinda got out of the loop for a while.. And need a little help with my bow.
I have a bear grizzly recurve, at 50#. I have a 28 inch draw. I forget how to test my string to see if it is at the right poundage at 28 inchs.. I think I need a vice and a scale but not sure how to do it.....
A bow scale and a yard stick or a tape will work. Draw the bow down on the scale until your 28 inch mark than read your poundage this should give you a pretty good idea.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
As said a bow scale with a yard stick or tape works. If you don't have something to vise the handle just draw the bow with the scale on the string and have someone measure with the tape.
Increase/Decrease pondage with a recurve?? I guess you would have to increase/decrease your draw lenght, twist/untwist your string or buy a shorter/longer string. If you had a takedown I guess you could buy new limbs too.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Get a bow scale, put it on the string, get an arrow & a clothes pin, put the clothes pin on the arrow & draw the bow, let the bow down, get a measuring tape, measure from the valley of the nock to where the clothes pin stopped, that's your draw length, look at the bow scale, that's your poundage at your draw length.
To measure pondage at 28" put the clothes pin on your arrow at 28" draw the bow until the clothes pin lightly touches your riser, check your bow scale, that's the bow's poundage at 28".

·
Registered
58 Posts
Get a bow scale, put it on the string, get an arrow & a clothes pin, put the clothes pin on the arrow & draw the bow, let the bow down, get a measuring tape, measure from the valley of the nock to where the clothes pin stopped, that's your draw length, look at the bow scale, that's your poundage at your draw length.
To measure pondage at 28" put the clothes pin on your arrow at 28" draw the bow until the clothes pin lightly touches your riser, check your bow scale, that's the bow's poundage at 28".
Thanks Now where to find a bow vice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts