New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where i could buy some duck eyes local ? Looking for some whistler eyes

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Swampthang, I take it you make decoys? What kind do you make? Every try making them out of foam?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've been playing around with carving and Bird taxidermy for a few years, I know Lynn at KV always did carry eyes so you may find them there, I'm close to the border so I just order mine and pick them up in Calais,Foam decoy's funny you should ask I've got a couple blocks glued together right now to knock an eider out of,I've thought of it for a while so I'm going to give it a go,then burlap it and see what I end up with, I met a guy before Christmas from St Andrew's who carves cork who has invited me over to carve an eider or whistler, so that is also on the list of things to do this winter as well, Ive never carved with cork either so gonna give it a go, I'm looking to carve a few magnums

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I made some a couple of years ago. Mine are whistlers, Got 16 more started out in the garage but never got them finished yet. Would like to carve cork but don't have the bucks to buy any cork. You have any pics of your decoys you made ?

·
Registered
124 Posts
no pics but will try to get a couple, and your right cork is expensive, I have a buddy who owned a cedar mill so used to have a good supply of cedar blocks, I had my 14 year old black lab putdown this summer and had her cremated so I'm going to carve a hollow working decoy "whistler" to put her in, I've got a nice picture of her on a whistler hunt, was going to take her and put her in the old marsh but think I'll just leave her on the shelf with the rest of the retired decoys

1 - 6 of 6 Posts