New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
anyone after eiders had one good hunt last friday.
Not yet. I kinda have to rely on my brother-in-law's skiff, and he is lobster fishing now. I'm hoping to paste a few in February, though. I may try for oldsquaws this weekend but I don't know if they are moving in yet.

Lots of blacks still hanging around downshore! A few buffleheads around my hunting spots, too, but not seeing much else. Had some mallards on the SJ river last week, haven't been up to check again.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I was out this morning,we had a great shoot, saw lot's of birds, we shot 18 eiders saw lot's of skunkheads, whistlers and a few red breasted merganzers,even had a young seal popping up in the decoys

·
Registered
65 Posts
Were you hunting from a boat ? Or were you on shore ? never been sea duck hunting, But would like to go , But dont know where any good places to go.

·
Registered
124 Posts
we were hunting from a boat and ledges, not something I would recommend if not familar with tides, seaduck hunting can be an awesome hunt but I would say to contact a guide or someone with experience around the salt water before venturing out as you could get into a very serious situation as water and air tempertures are unforgiving this time of year should you run into any problems, having said that, I personally enjoy hunting seaducks more than any others, nothing like watching eiders swing the decoys, we,ve had day's where we,ve watched hundred's of bird's,if you enjoy duck hunting and have never hunted seaducks you don't know what your missing, we hunt out of charlotte county and I do know a couple of good guides with lot's of experience and references

·
Registered
65 Posts
So what you are saying there is no place to go and freelance along a cove or somewhere like that ?

·
Registered
358 Posts
So what you are saying there is no place to go and freelance along a cove or somewhere like that ?
From my limited experience hunting that area (it's my main duck hunting spot but I've only been down there two years)-

Not really. There are spots you can get close to oldsquaws from shore, but I rarely see eiders close enough to the mainland to shoot. There are lots of black ducks to whack at the coast, and even some buffleheads, but of course that season closes soon.

The trouble is, even if you nailed an eider from shore, it'd be pretty tough to retrieve without a dog, and even then it might be sketchy. They are also pretty hard to kill, and you may knock one down from shore, but it will just swim away from you.

The tide, combined with cold and mud/quicksand, could kill you in a matter of minutes if you were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I only shot eiders twice last winter. Both days were from my brother-in-law's skiff. The birds were all miles out to sea. I did see some guys hunting in close to land, but they were in a jon boat.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Sorry, it sounded like you didn't have one.

I ended up swimming for a bird last December, in the Maces Bay Basin. I never warmed up for hours.

Anyway, if you've got a boat, should be no problem finding birds downshore. Anyone can see them offshore.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Thats ok just being a smart a$$ , How did you make out the couple of times you went out ?
First time, shot (IIRC) one eider and two oldsquaws I think. The second time we shot three eiders and two oldsquaws and could have limited out on oldsquaws had we wished to do so.

I don't know a lot about it but when we went we saw far more oldsquaws, and they were usually closer to shore. Not sure if that's the norm. Also, the eiders were harder to kill - they have a lot of down to punch through.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I know of a couple spots to jumpshoot with a good dog and the right tide but I'd just as soon keep them to my self, we shoot these when weather prevent's us from going out in the boat, these are spot's we've found by putting in plenty of scouting and leg work, Coach is right eider duck's are very tough to kill,especially when they pop up after being knocked down, you need to be shooting heavy load's if shooting from shore, years ago when we first started hunting eiders we used to hunt St Andrew's, drive right through town and you'll see the RV park at low tide the bar extend's quite a way out into the bay, we used to hunt tide going and keep working our way out as the tide went, the eiders would fly by the point or over the bar, but alway's keep your eye on shore as the tide turn's as if your not carefull it can come in behind you at some point and strand you, also at the end of that road is the cove by Minister's Island there were quite a few bird's in around there earlier this fall as myself and a friend were there taking picture's of eiders and scooter's, hey coach ever see a king eider in your area, we killed one year before last not far from you, beautiful bird, it's now mounted in a glass case

1 - 15 of 15 Posts